Equinox 800

MargeShrimpson

Forum Supporter
I've been trying to figure out the tone settings it can go from 1.2.3.5 and 50. Where is there such a jump. I'm having trouble figured out what it means and why is there such a huge jump?

Pages 46-48 of the Equinox owners manual explains the target tones in detail and their related settings better than anyone can explain it here. But basically its this: single tone sets your machine up as a beep and dig. If it detects metal in a non discriminated range ,it beeps. You can set the tone pitch wherever you like.
2 tones gives you the options of 2 different tone pitches , each one indicating a different metal type, i.e. ferrous vs non-ferrous. There is not an option for 3 tones. 5 tones gives you the option of 5 different tone regions, i.e. ferrous, non ferrous junk, non ferrous low conductors (tin, thin aluminum foil )non ferrous medium conductors (gold, nickel, aluminum pull tabs), non ferrous high conductors, (silver, copper). 50 tones has a separate tone pitch for every discriminating notch on the dial. It takes a well trained ear to utilize this setting to its complete advantage, But it does have the useful ability to discriminate very distinct ranges or individual target ids and in conjunction with higher recovery speeds, can greatly aid in unmasking of high conductors that are in close proximity to ferrous or non- ferrous low conductors.
If you intend to take advantage of all of the capabilities of the Equinox 800, it can be a fairly complex machine. But the factory presets allow you to do a lot of things that other machines won't, simply by turning it on and swinging. I have hundreds of hours on mine and I need hundreds more before I will consider it " mastered" Good luck!

For default 5 tones on the 800 and 600 the tone breaks are:
1. -9 to 0 (+2 in the Field modes for coke)= lowest iron tone,

2. +1 or +3 to +9 = medium low tone for small gold, small aluminum, small lead, small tin,

3. +10 to +19 = medium tone for larger gold, lead, US nickel, brass, aluminum, small copper, some zinc penny,

4. +20 to +29 some US zinc penny, copper penny, clad dimes, silver dimes, some clad quarters, small silver jewelry,

5. +30 to +40 high tone for some US clad quarters, silver quarters, halves, dollars (including Presidential, Sacajawea, and Anthony) large silver jewelry.

It is possible to adjust the tone breaks on the 800 to create a 3 tone or 4 tone configuration. It is also possible to change the pitches for any assigned tone in each tone break along with its individual volume level.................really versatile flexibility to personalize detector settings.

Jeff

Back
Top Bottom