Using the Nox accept/reject option

As the Nox V.I.D. is so compressed I would not notch out any numbers. I run with the horseshoe button engaged at all times so I hear everything. Norm is right about tone. Even with the Nox in 5 tones there are nuisances to the tone. I am a long way from being great at being able to tell if a target is junk or not strictly by tone, but I do hear a definite difference in the roundness of a target.

I have a good idea of what you mean but would you tell me exactly what your looking for in solid signal. My bet is #s that do not bounce out of range you are looking for.

I can give you an example from a park hunt.

I recently had three obvious targets under my stock 11" coil. I was using a Nox 600 in basic Park 2 with -9 to 0 notched out (luckily I hadn't notched more) and 5 tones. I had a very jumpy 9,10,11,12 target, a fairly solid 13,14 target and a rock solid 18. By rock solid I mean the number 18 and the solid tone did not change during sweeps from any direction and were very steady. Keep in mind, the factory set tone breaks for that range are at 10 and 20 in 5 tones. So the 9,10,11,12 target had two different tones and the 18 was right up against the 20 tone break. Most zinc pennies will have two separate alternating tones on the Nox 600 and so will aluminum trash in the 18, 19 range. The Nox tones will sometimes change across tone breaks without a number change.

If the Nox 600 was not such a good detector it would not have separated these targets so well and I might have walked on thinking it was really big, jagged aluminum or big falsing iron. Thankfully, the Nox has plenty of great features to help identify dig or no dig targets. I hit the horseshoe button to check for iron=none. I used the pinpoint function to size the targets=three separate small coin sized targets. Checked the depth=3 to 6 inches.

9,10,11,12 was a piece of quarter sized jagged can slaw. 13,14 was a modern pull tab. 18 was a Josten's 10K men's class ring. I actually dug the targets in that order, pretty exciting!!!

Most of the men's and women's gold rings I have found along with 1/2 gram sized or bigger gold nuggets have all signaled on the Nox 600 or 800 with a beautiful solid tone and just one numerical target ID number. Smaller gold nuggets, micro gold jewelry and tiny gold chains especially can jump around a bit depending on depth, orientation and ground mineralization.

There are some trashy aluminum, lead, tin, brass and steel targets that will just give solid two number spreads. They will rarely just be one number. It has happened but not often (steel spacers and some bullet slugs). Whenever I get a solid two-way tone (sweeping from more than one direction) and a single number for a coin sized target from surface to 10" depth in the 4 to 21 range on the Equinox, I'm happily digging it. If it is surface to 6" deep and also has a clear double beep, I'm frantically digging it. Usually it is a ring pull without the beaver tail but you never know.......

Jeff

Last edited:
The last 2 gold 9K rings that I found on my Nox came up as a VDI of 8 for the one, and 13 for the other. They were both solid targets and hardly deviated much from those numbers at all. They were both relatively small rings and the one was quite thin

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200213_093833.jpg
    Screenshot_20200213_093833.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 398
  • Screenshot_20200213_093852.jpg
    Screenshot_20200213_093852.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 388
What my take on all the post. Do not to get hung up on VID#location because gold can vary so much. Concentrate on size of target and how solid the the VID stays in multiple swing directions.

Yeah, I got a bit carried away. The Equinox is a great machine even with the defaults. Adjust the sensitivity and maybe notch out a few numbers, go detect, and find plenty. Then, go deeper as you understand the relationships between the different settings and when to use them. The 800 is especially versatile, especially the custom audio, but the 600 has some good audio options too.

You can turn it into a completely different machine, and using the wrong settings at the wrong time and miss good targets.

This is the absolute truth about the Equinox. I had many of hunts where I played around with the adjustments way far away from default modes and you turn the Equinox into a machine not equal to some sub 200 detectors.

If you want to know more about getting your Equinox tuned and how to use other just normal detecting (used with any detector) target validation techniques buy Clive Clynick's third Equinox book about skill building. Warning, it might give some a headache it is very detailed, but also very good. I am on my second reading.

Back
Top Bottom