Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Antiques Detectors
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > Make It or Fix It Yourself

Old 11-02-2019, 01:15 PM
Elite Member

Default Equinox coil ear stiffener and repair

I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618
Attached Images

oldest coin to date 1773 4 Maravedies
2020/(16) silver coins (1) silver jewelry (0) gold jewelry (2)IHP (19) wheat (2) tokens

5 members found this post helpful.
Old 11-02-2019, 08:21 PM
Elite Member

Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?

IH: 23, Buff/V/Shield: 31, Gold: 6

Old 11-02-2019, 08:56 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Stiffwrists View post
Cool! So does that just reinforce the existing coil ears? Does the stock bolt still work just fine?

Edit: Also does it work the same for the 15", Stock, and 6" inch coils?
Yes it reinforces the existing ears. There is one model for the 11 and 15 inch coil and a different model for the 6-inch coil they also have one for coils that have already broken off the ear. The library only charged me a dollar. Pretty good deal.

2020/(16) silver coins (1) silver jewelry (0) gold jewelry (2)IHP (19) wheat (2) tokens

Old 11-03-2019, 11:05 AM
Supporter

I like it! Looks like it would distribute/diffuse/reinforce the stress point areas; preventing a busted coil ear. The strap-on repair design is clever too!
I am now wondering if there's a library around here with a 3D printer...

Old 11-03-2019, 02:31 PM

I just had to have them printed. So worth it to save the headache of snapping off an ear. Thank you!

PADI Divemaster #181371
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Equinox 800
Makro Multi Kruzer

Old 11-23-2019, 08:25 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Dan B. View post
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off. I went to our local library this morning they saved the program to their 3D printer and created me this part. With a little cleanup with a razor blade it fits perfectly. I sure hope this is helpful. Here is the link so the file can be downloaded.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:3949618

It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.

Minelab Equinox 800; Minelab Explorer II; Garrett AT Pro & AT Pinpointer

Old 11-23-2019, 08:33 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by ToySoldier View post
It looks like the original bolt in the photo, and not a 3d printed one, so I'm assuming the original bolt is still long enough for the standard coil? I have a buddy who can print one of these for me.
Yes the original bolt fit fine. I only had to clean a little flashing out of the hole for the original bolt to fit through. I noticed that the instructions changed the fill percentage.

Old 12-11-2019, 08:17 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by Dan B. View post
I came across this 3D printer program that solves the issue of coil ear breaking off..........

Picked mine up last night from a buddy with a 3D printer. Clever design, perfect fit, and clearly does what it's designed to do. The original bolt is just long enough that the nut turns and tightens enough that I'm not worried about it backing itself off.
Attached Images

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:18 PM
Supporter

Could you do me a favor and ask your buddy what Slicer he used to slice the file? I've tried using two different slicer and the regular reinforced model falls apart when I slice it. The repair model slices and prints fine.

Thanks.

Picked mine up last night from a buddy with a 3D printer. Clever design, perfect fit, and clearly does what it's designed to do. The original bolt is just long enough that the nut turns and tightens enough that I'm not worried about it backing itself off.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:41 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by ChrisMD View post
Could you do me a favor and ask your buddy what Slicer he used to slice the file? I've tried using two different slicer and the regular reinforced model falls apart when I slice it. The repair model slices and prints fine.

Thanks.
Hope you got your issue fixed. My buddy has been aloof lately. I was also going to give him a few bucks to make me one for the 6" coil, although I'm a lot less concerned about that one getting broken.

Old 01-13-2020, 07:48 PM
Supporter

Hope you got your issue fixed. My buddy has been aloof lately. I was also going to give him a few bucks to make me one for the 6" coil, although I'm a lot less concerned about that one getting broken.
I did get it sorted out, the model only worked in one particular slicer, which is the software package that chops up the model and sends it to the printer. I hate using that slicer that ended up working though, so I just jumped on CAD with my limited skills and fixed the model well enough to print.

Old 01-02-2020, 01:53 PM

There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6Ē and the 11Ē/15Ē coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:30 PM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by Donut View post
There is a place that makes them.
I ordered mine back in November and love them and are in red.
Their is a difference between the 6Ē and the 11Ē/15Ē coils so when I ordered them I ordered one for each coil. $15 each
I really like them.

Doug
Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:42 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
Where did you orders yours from please?
Looks like some good insurance long term.
Donít pay $15, itís like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and Iíll send them to you.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:47 PM
Elite Member

Donít pay $15, itís like 2 cents worth of plastic and 5 cents of electric. If you want let me know what color you like and how many you want for which coils and Iíll send them to you.
So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

Iíll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6Ē, 11Ē, 15Ē coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.

Old 01-05-2020, 08:57 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
So, couple questions.
What you have, is this to reinforce existing ears?
Or can this what you have be used to help a person with broken ear on Eqx coil where piece is infact misssing in action?

There is gent on detector prospector forum who has broken coil ear and has lost piece of ear.

Iíll take one in black for each size of the Eqx coils. 6Ē, 11Ē, 15Ē coils.
I will send private message here with mailing info.
And naturally I will send you compensation for your troubles.
There is two different types, the first is to reinforce coils and the second type is to reinforce and fix if a coil ear is already broken off.

If you goto Thingiverse.com, you can see all the different mods available by searching ďminelabĒ or ďMinelab EquinoxĒ.

Also, there is a service called 3D Hubs, at 3dhubs.com, where local people outsource their 3D printers for a small fee. So letís say you see something cool on Thingiverse, just download the STL file, plug it in 3D Hubs with your zip code, and youíll get prices to have someone make it for you. Most often itís a lot cheaper than those with 3D printers selling on eBay.

Iíll get those 3 done and out this week. Iím not on the Detector Prospector forum, but Iím happy to make the broken ear one for him also if you want to reach out to him.

Old 01-28-2020, 02:43 PM
Supporter

How much would you charge me to make 6 of them? I will gladly Paypal you for them.

Old 01-28-2020, 07:45 PM
Supporter

Originally Posted by btripp6 View post
How much would you charge me to make 6 of them? I will gladly Paypal you for them.
Just shot you a PM, have a couple batches coming off the printer today and tomorrow.

For anyone else interested, I had soooooooo many requests for these that I did start charging to cover shipping and the bubble mailer, in all cases $4 or $5 covers it. If I missed shipping out to anyone just tickle me in private message again, I think I'm all caught up minus two people that will go out tomorrow.

Old 01-05-2020, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian
Attached Images

Gold (0), Silver (.10), Clad ($8.88), Bullets (2), Horseshoes (2), Misc junk (~).. LOL
Hobbies, Hunting, Fishing, Camping, Hiking, Ham Radio - KQ4MM - USAF Vet 1983-1992

Old 01-06-2020, 12:19 AM
Elite Member

Originally Posted by castleberry View post
Thanks for the mention TNSS .. And ChrisMD Yes, already broken on one side, if I could get ahold of the repair one I'd be grateful ... 11" coil, be glad to pay you for your troubles as well..

Best Regards

Brian
No sweat.
Your problem, helped me too.
Thanks.