Any knowledgeable boat people here?

Thank you. Yes, definitely will need a battery. So $500 in Virginia will translate to about $32,000 in California.

loooool you got that right!

i read the rest of the thread. at $550 or so, i'd definitely do this maintenance myself and put that money toward FUN. :D

Apparently, I didn't see this thread back in June.
It's good that he got it going for you, and nice save.
I will offer this.....try very hard not to run it in salt water. It's really hard on aluminum hulls, and the motors, too. If you do run it in salt, give it a very good fresh water rinse, including running fresh water through the motor. It'll help things last a lot longer. Don't forget the trailer, as well.
If the trailer has bunks instead of rollers, DO NOT use pressure treated wood to replace them, if needed. The chemicals in P-T wood is corrosive to aluminum hulls.
I might suggest you get yourself registered here; https://tinboats.net/forum/ .
It's a pretty knowledgeable bunch, and the site is geared toward metal hull boats, exclusively. (There was a thread about somebody stumbling across Studebaker wood hull serial #1 once, though.)

Roger

Apparently, I didn't see this thread back in June.
It's good that he got it going for you, and nice save.
I will offer this.....try very hard not to run it in salt water. It's really hard on aluminum hulls, and the motors, too. If you do run it in salt, give it a very good fresh water rinse, including running fresh water through the motor. It'll help things last a lot longer. Don't forget the trailer, as well.
If the trailer has bunks instead of rollers, DO NOT use pressure treated wood to replace them, if needed. The chemicals in P-T wood is corrosive to aluminum hulls.
I might suggest you get yourself registered here; https://tinboats.net/forum/ .
It's a pretty knowledgeable bunch, and the site is geared toward metal hull boats, exclusively. (There was a thread about somebody stumbling across Studebaker wood hull serial #1 once, though.)

Roger

Thanks for the advice Roger. Not to worry, this boat has only, and will only, ever run in fresh water.

Update. Fixed her up, took her out a few times, caught some fish. I'm going to battle the cold and head to Lake Amador here in Ione for the Thanksgiving weekend. The lows will be around 35 degrees, which I know is tank top weather for some of you. For me, brrrrrrrrrr.

Hope you all have a great holiday weekend.

Attachments

• 0908201053d.jpg
    0908201053d.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 47
  • 0908201131a.jpg
    0908201131a.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 49
  • 20200718_104600.jpg
    20200718_104600.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 50
Unless I missed it no one mentioned changing the water pump impeller. flyguy mentioned checking function. Not familiar with your 4 stroke but on my Johnson 50hp two stroke the water pump impeller is a plastic part that will eventually wear out/crack/break.
My Johnson is so old (1971) that it does not have a telltale, the little piss stream that indicates water pump function. There is a mod to install one, I have not done it yet. On a motor like mine it is good to change the impeller out every couple years. It is in the lower unit on mine.
If your motor is original to the boat (2000?) then it is something to consider doing for preventive maintenance purposes.
Helpful link below, they mention changing out the impeller "regularly", no time interval given.
Enjoy your boat!

https://www.marineengine.com/parts/...rcury-outboard-4-stroke-water-pump-parts.html

Back
Top Bottom