Friendly Metal Detecting Forums   Coiltek electronics
List all sponsors

Go Back   Friendly Metal Detecting Forums > Detectors and Gear > All About Detectors

Old 07-16-2018, 07:05 AM
Supporter

Originally Posted by woodbutcher View post
How good is the Mojave compared to th vaquero,,if you were field hunting for relics.Im leaning towards a tesoro for fields,
To be honest I haven't used the mojave that much, but even so, I would lean towards the Vaq because of the much greater depth and the fact that you can get an exact ground balance. The few times I did use the mojave in the woods behind my house, I was chasing false signals because I had the GB switch on low and me being stubborn I didn't switch to high for fear of losing depth. If you get vaq, once you get it ground balanced on your site, turn it back negative about a 1/4 turn or so to get deeper. Or you can do Monte's power balancing trick. To me, the 1/4 negative turn on the GB knob is just about as good in most cases.

Old 07-16-2018, 07:56 AM
Supporter

Love my Nox 800 but my 15 year old White's DFX is every bit as good on gold as my NOX.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by tnsharpshooter View post
I will share a little story here.

Rutus Alter 71 with 9x8 concentric is compared to most other detectors wearing same/similar concentric coil is a real performer. I don’t think Tesoro with same sized concentric coil stands a chance beating Rutus in iron, as long as Rutus user knows how to run.

Now here is something interesting. Take this for what it’s worth.
Two different sites I had busted hard using Deus with all but the biggest LF coil. And some other detectors too. No Deus HF coils had been in these 2 sites yet.

Both sites using Rutus and concentric coil only 2 nonferrous finds each. Funny thing is it didn’t take me long to locate the 2 nonferrous in each site. Continued use of the Rutus and concentric coil using various settings (namely speed) I found nonther nonferrous.
So it would seem Deus at least did a good job.
Deus and HF coils later yielded about 6 finds each in these sites later on. Remember these are dd coils.

Equinox went back in with 3hunts (to satisfy my curiosity) with stock coil and found if I remember right 2additional finds at each site.
These 2 sites (areas ) are loaded to the hilt with iron form the late 1700s and 1800s.
Also of special note, I never found the first nonferrous in either of these 2 sites using a f75se detector with either the stock coil or the 5”dd coil.

Nokta Impact with small football coil found 2 finds. I used this detector coil combo before Deus and HF coils went into sites.

Nokta relic detector using 5”dd coil detector found 4 each nonferrous at both sites. It was used before either Deus HF coils and impact detector. And before Equinox.

The targets I found with Rutus and concentric coil were not very deep either like 4”deep. All buttons too.

Rutus and dd coil 11” I found 2 each nonferrous at each site. And these finds were quite deep considering how much iron in the site.

Just thought I would share.
I try to when I compare give equal detecting time in sites so I can better compare the real deal between them.
Funny you mentioned the Rutus... I saw the thread on the Rutus Alter71 is dead....
I logged in to give some comment on Calabash his video on VDI.

I still own the Alter71 and i am loving it.
Bought the XP Deus to see what it's all about. Also a great performer.... But it's on par with the Deus I think.

But the VDI and Hodograph on the Rutus beats it each time.... I play a game with myself to predict what's in the ground. 7 out of 10 i am right.

Old 07-16-2018, 05:18 PM
Supporter

Is rutus coming out with another machine?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:59 PM
Elite Member

I would still like to see nox vs v3i. It's very versatile and amazing in the right hands

Old 07-17-2018, 02:40 AM

Originally Posted by calabash digger View post
Is rutus coming out with another machine?
Yes they have introduced two new machines under the Alter71.

In 2019 the successor or higher end model will be introduced. Rumors goes it will be multi frequency.

Would love to see one (Alter 71)in your hand Calabash. To see what you think about it in your test garden.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:04 AM
Elite Member

I read a comment from Rutus that the Alter71 is capable of multi freq, but i don't know how far it they had gone with it or if it was refined enough to use, and it would take a software update to activate it. It also mentioned it was hard on battery power when they tested it.

I'd guess they will introduce a new model for the multi freq, hopefully it will include some higher freqs like the Nox.

Old 07-17-2018, 07:48 AM

That's indeed correct they have had the Alter71 running on multi frequency.
But issues with battery drain.....

So like i said.....I think the next will be multi frequency..

Don't loose sight on Rutus... Think they will surprise us.
The Alter71 is not an easy machine to learn.... However the standard programs does very well... If you want the maximum give it some time.

You got to love those companies with small budget marketing.

Which gives a sign you will get a product what you pay for.
No Big bla bla parachutes falling out.of the sky.... Sponsored KG's and Ringy on your TV.
At the end customer pays for it.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-17-2018, 08:50 AM
Elite Member

I really liked my Alter71, it wasn't perfect, i felt the mixed mode was a bit weak on the all metal side on small/low-mid conductors, fine on larger coins and relics, and for my hunting i'd put the Alter above the Deus LF coils.
I personally wouldn't slate ML and their marketing on the Nox, as at the end of the day they made a cracking detector, and i would rate the Nox above the Alter again on the small/ low-mid conductive targets in my soil.

Originally Posted by wackid View post
That's indeed correct they have had the Alter71 running on multi frequency.
But issues with battery drain.....

So like i said.....I think the next will be multi frequency..

Don't loose sight on Rutus... Think they will surprise us.
The Alter71 is not an easy machine to learn.... However the standard programs does very well... If you want the maximum give it some time.

You got to love those companies with small budget marketing.

Which gives a sign you will get a product what you pay for.
No Big bla bla parachutes falling out.of the sky.... Sponsored KG's and Ringy on your TV.
At the end customer pays for it.

Old 07-18-2018, 01:34 AM

Originally Posted by ghound View post
I really liked my Alter71, it wasn't perfect, i felt the mixed mode was a bit weak on the all metal side on small/low-mid conductors, fine on larger coins and relics, and for my hunting i'd put the Alter above the Deus LF coils.
I personally wouldn't slate ML and their marketing on the Nox, as at the end of the day they made a cracking detector, and i would rate the Nox above the Alter again on the small/ low-mid conductive targets in my soil.
As we all know a machine has to suit you.

I don't like the Equinox. Lacks built quality.
The sound it makes... It hears like a sluggish machine. But that i can get used too... Maybe.
But what I can't live with.... I have to dig twice as much as any other machine. All the good stuff comes in between 12-15.
The VDI identification is way too narrow.

And yes i know I will get the answer back.... You have to listen to the sound it makes.... True for a part when I need to listen only I would have bought an analog machine.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-18-2018, 05:19 AM
Elite Member

I'd agree it does lump many items into a tight ID, i had been using the VDI to distinguish coke but i no longer need to as 99% of the time it reads an ID of 1, so in 50 tones it's easy to distinguish by ear, and other than that i'm digging by tone and clarity of the report.
Unfortunately i can't dig by numbers here as we have hundreds of different coin types, you'd never remember them anyways, and there would be many places in Europe the same.

Old 07-18-2018, 07:44 AM

Love my Equinox. Simple as.

Matt

Sent from my LG-H870 using Tapatalk