Finally A Scuba hunt

JackalopeZL1

Elite Member
Well I got SCUBA certified a while back and got out for my first Dive with my New Excalibur II. Went up to lake tahoe. Figured I would find a Beach and see what I could find.

So it went well, No gold or at least solid gold :grin: But I did find a Old Gold Plated pocket watch. Most of the plate was gone by now. It is a Ingersoll watch co. brand. It dates back to 1918- 1925. Glass front.

Then found a small 925 toe ring, 1912s Wheat penny, Was surprised when I looked it up in the redbook.. A 1919s wheat, 1936 wheat, and a 1942 wheat.

I was pleased with the depth of the Excalibur. The depth of the 1912s wheat had to be darn near a foot as well the watch at over a foot.. the 1919 was about 7 inches on the beach and I found that with my Etrac.

Had a ton of fun and can't wait for the next hunt underwater.

That's cool! I've given up on wanting a AT Pro, I figure my Ace 350 is good enough for land and am going straight to a water hunting detector and looking at scuba classes, a friend of mine is an instructor and does dives in Lake Erie ship wrecks. I'm leaning towards a Minelab Ex-Cal. II as well.

That's cool! I've given up on wanting a AT Pro, I figure my Ace 350 is good enough for land and am going straight to a water hunting detector and looking at scuba classes, a friend of mine is an instructor and does dives in Lake Erie ship wrecks. I'm leaning towards a Minelab Ex-Cal. II as well.

Not to hijack a thread BUT using an Excal for diving might not be in your best interest in the great lakes or inland lakes. However it is your choice.

Well I don't have anything to compare it too yet, But Tahoe being a inland lake and digging those deep targets I am impressed.

Ohh it will dig deep targets and it is a fine machine. I have almost been hit by boats many many times. TWICE this last week. Boaters on the great lakes have NO idea what dive flags are. I love the silence of the CZ-21. I can hear a boat coming close and can stand up and tell them to get the heck away from my flag and educate the idiots.

In 5 - 7 foot of water I am terrified of becoming propeller bait.

I do think my CZ gets a tad deeper when comparing it to undug targets next to a friend with an Excal. BUT, that is what I personally saw and I know machines vary in depth, even the same ones.

So my comment had nothing to do with the depth of the Excal. Just the noise it makes. Sorry if I haven't been clear on the subject.

Not to hijack a thread BUT using an Excal for diving might not be in your best interest in the great lakes or inland lakes. However it is your choice.

What would you recommend, I thought Ex Cal II's were the end all, be all for the water.

I see.. Them boaters are a scary thing.:mad:

Do you have a BIG dive flag? You are allowed small ones but we are talking about YOUR safety. You will have boaters thinking "Look a loose float. lets go get it!!" You will have fishermen try to snag it and bring it in. You will have kids swim out and drag you in.

I have had it all. I bought my float on fee-bay and made my own flag poles and bought a bunch of 20 X 24 flags on fee bay.

It is great to put larger finds in like boat anchors, bombs, guns and fishing rods.

Ohh it will dig deep targets and it is a fine machine. I have almost been hit by boats many many times. TWICE this last week. Boaters on the great lakes have NO idea what dive flags are. I love the silence of the CZ-21. I can hear a boat coming close and can stand up and tell them to get the heck away from my flag and educate the idiots.

In 5 - 7 foot of water I am terrified of becoming propeller bait.

I do think my CZ gets a tad deeper when comparing it to undug targets next to a friend with an Excal. BUT, that is what I personally saw and I know machines vary in depth, even the same ones.

So my comment had nothing to do with the depth of the Excal. Just the noise it makes. Sorry if I haven't been clear on the subject.

The boaters up here are always trying to kill us! :lol:

The constant threshold sound on the Excals can easily be turned off, so the sound does not have to be an issue. I normally keep mine on in areas where I know boat traffic won't be much of a problem to keep track of ferrous targets.

I've used both cz20 & excal, both are great and I agree cz is deep! You can use the excal and keep it silent however. :yes:

Nice finds, Jackalope! I'm in a similar situation as you- I recently earned my open-water certification plus I just purchased an underwater detector (the Fisher CZ-21). I haven't gotten around to diving with it yet but I have a trip planned to an island with a lot of pirate activity in the past. Looking forward to it!

Kind of late on this thread but I have to say, that is an amazing and very encouraging first scuba hunt! I too am very close to trying this type of detecting and am learning a lot from posts like yours. Thanks, congrats and happy (scuba) hunting!

Back
Top Bottom