1796 Draped Bust Large Cent

Bell-Two

Doug and I went out Saturday morning first to an old park that doesn't give up stuff willingly and today was no exception. We then went out door knocking first house did not give up any keepers the next house circa 1900 did a bit better. Doug scored first with a 1908 Indian and I got on the board with an 1904 Indian, the Doug got a 1918 wheat and then I got a 1913 wheat. A bit later I dug up an unusual item, at first thought it was going to be a token or maybe a foriegn coin but it turns out it is an Apothercaries weight. It says Two Scruples which turns out to be a meaurement of weight, one scruple is .333 percent of a dram. These were placed on one side of the balance scale and then the medicines were placed on the other side. After awhile we went to the 1811 house were a few weeks ago Doug got the two Large Cents and two Two Cent pieces and I had gotten the the large Dandy Button and an Indian. Today was going to be my turn for the good finds. Doug got a flat button and I did as well a very nice small one with an intact shank. I was using Two Tone Ferrous and I got a jumpy signal, I dug and got a piece of folded up copper but I was still getting a 12-42 signal so I thought well a wheatie. The target was off to the side and on edge, imagine my suprise to pull out a Large Cent, it was very dirty so I just stuck it in my pouch, a few minutes later I got a solid nickel signal and out came a very nice 1920 Buffalo. We had to leave since Doug had to get back home. As we were driving I examine the Large Cent and I said to Doug for some reason I think this is an early one. I took some water and as I was dabbing at it I said, wouldn't it be neat if the bust was facing right! After a bit more water I could see it and you should have seen the look on Doug's face when I said "Doug the bust is facing right!" I could start to see the date and at first I said I think it is an 1806 then a bit more looking I said to Doug....oh my that is not an 06 that is a 96! Yes it is a 1796 Draped Bust Large Cent. We decided to stop at the coin shop to show it to Richard at the coin shop...well you know you have a good find when the coin shop guy does a double take and says "Wow"! The date is very readable full Liberty on top it is better than the picture. Back is slick with just a few details of wreath and faint lettering and denticles. A great day made better by sharing it with a friend!

Attachments

• IMG_0497a.JPG
    IMG_0497a.JPG
    71.8 KB · Views: 1,128
  • IMG_0498a.JPG
    IMG_0498a.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 1,123
  • IMG_0501a.JPG
    IMG_0501a.JPG
    64.2 KB · Views: 1,097
  • IMG_0509a.JPG
    IMG_0509a.JPG
    66.5 KB · Views: 1,103
  • IMG_0518a.JPG
    IMG_0518a.JPG
    52.2 KB · Views: 1,103
Awesome find! :wow2: Pics of front and back of Buff but not the draped bust? :?: :lol:

Well it is almost slick but ask and you shall recieve!

Here is a picture of the back almost impossible to tell in picture. But using my loupe I can see parts of the wreath, some of the denticles on the edge, very faint and I mean faint lettering and at the bottom if you have the right light and hold it just right you can see the 100 part of the 1/100.

Attachments

• IMG_0517a.JPG
    IMG_0517a.JPG
    51.8 KB · Views: 1,078
Nice bunch of finds! It would be so cool to dig any bust type coin! Congrats on a great day digging!

G2M

Well it is almost slick but ask and you shall recieve!

Here is a picture of the back almost impossible to tell in picture. But using my loupe I can see parts of the wreath, some of the denticles on the edge, very faint and I mean faint lettering and at the bottom if you have the right light and hold it just right you can see the 100 part of the 1/100.

Cool. That is very worn. But still a AWESOME find! :yes:

congrats on the draped bust, very cool. yours is in better shape then the 1807 that i found

I like the apothecary weight.Now if someone says you have no scruples you can say their wrong you have two, and prove it.

Cool 1796 Large cent coin and other coins!!!!!!!!! It is a big keeper!!!!

Back
Top Bottom