• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

How does a Coin Probe work?

tnguyen8806

Does anyone use a coin probe, the tool that looks like a screw driver? I am curious of how it works or if anyone has a video of them using one. I can't find one on youtube. Thanks

Tuyet

A "true" probe is a brass rod, 6 inches long or so, set in a plastic or wood handle. The brass doesn't scratch like steel does and transmits better feel when you touch the coin.

Over the years, I've looked all over the house for mine. Still haven't found it.:?: Haven't found one at any of the big box home improvement stores either. For right now, I use a lightly modified "v slot" nail puller. the tool looks like a screw driver with the flat head curved slightly and a v notch in it for pulling nails. I just smoothed the edges a little and use it like that. It doesn't give you the feel of the brass rod...But, any port in a storm. A screwdriver will do the same thing.

The probe is used for lifting coins out of the ground from a depth of up to about an inch and a half deep, without cutting a plug. Pinpoint the coin with a pin pointer. Insert the probe until you feel the coin, then maneuver the probe under the coin. Using the probe, lever the coin out of the ground (pop it out). I hunted a soccer field this morning, and used the probe for probably 70% of my coins.

A word of caution: if you are hunting where you may find older coins, don't use a steel probe!

If my daughter ever brings back the last working digital camera with close focus ability, I'll get some pictures up of the probe I'm using and the damage it can do to copper pennies.

HH

I made my own probe and when I'm in a high can count area and get a target a quick check with the probe tells me can or coin without digging. We're getting pretty good at that after checking with the probe and then digging to see if we're right. The cans have a certain sound that comes up through the handle when you hit it.

Here is a probe a good friend made for me. The golf ball makes it very easy to handle/control. Slides right into my new finds bag (right where a pencil would fit). The probe fits perfect.

Forum member Janster hooked my son and I up with these! Thank you Jan.

Attachments

• IMG_6099.jpg
    IMG_6099.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 5,192
  • IMG_6102.jpg
    IMG_6102.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 5,461
A "true" probe is a brass rod, 6 inches long or so, set in a plastic or wood handle. The brass doesn't scratch like steel does and transmits better feel when you touch the coin.

Over the years, I've looked all over the house for mine. Still haven't found it.:?: Haven't found one at any of the big box home improvement stores either. For right now, I use a lightly modified "v slot" nail puller. the tool looks like a screw driver with the flat head curved slightly and a v notch in it for pulling nails. I just smoothed the edges a little and use it like that. It doesn't give you the feel of the brass rod...But, any port in a storm. A screwdriver will do the same thing.

The probe is used for lifting coins out of the ground from a depth of up to about an inch and a half deep, without cutting a plug. Pinpoint the coin with a pin pointer. Insert the probe until you feel the coin, then maneuver the probe under the coin. Using the probe, lever the coin out of the ground (pop it out). I hunted a soccer field this morning, and used the probe for probably 70% of my coins.

A word of caution: if you are hunting where you may find older coins, don't use a steel probe!

If my daughter ever brings back the last working digital camera with close focus ability, I'll get some pictures up of the probe I'm using and the damage it can do to copper pennies.

HH

Have you thought of using a brass cleaning rod for a pistol? I have 2 that have a round loop at one end and threads at the other for jags and other tips. They were only about $7.

Jim

I use a screw driver with a simi pointed tip. If I can open the hole and get my finger into the hole I can pull out the coin.

Thanks for all the replies everyone. So I'm thinking I can go to the hardware store to try and find a threaded brass rod or use a brass gun cleaning rod as noted above. I am not real handy, so I will see what the hardware store has. I want to get one to try this weekend. Thanks again HH

Tuyet

Get some smooth brass rod, threaded would be hard to push into the ground. sand a smooth round point on and you could get a wooden cabinet knob for the handle. Sand the rod clean and install it in a hole in the knob with some epoxy. You'll be in business in no time!

I just found a brass rod on its way to the dumpster, but I am afraid it may be too thin. It slightly flexes when I try to bend it. Since I don't know anything about coin probes or metal, will this slight flex be a problem?

Mine is 1/8" and a little flexible, no problem. I had a scrap piece of rod and used it. Hard to beat free! If I was making one again I might go for 3/16 rod but what I have works fine for what I'm doing. Go for it!

By the way, I used to own a business and live just north of you in Madisonville. You ought to have some great hunting spots around you!

Instead of a brass probe...

I use a bamboo chopstick. The kind that you get in a Japanese or Chinese restaurant that has a rounded tip. They are surprisingly durable and cheap to replace. Wood versus metal, so the chances of scratching and damaging a coin is very low. I also have a brass probe from my early days of MDing when I was in high school in the 70's, but I rarely use it now that I have the chopstick that also doubles as a marker for digging (like some folks do with golf tees), it doesn't set off the detector like brass would. Keep an open mind and try it! :yes:

I use a six inch phillips screw driver for coins down to about two inches. If I can pinpoint them with my Propointer it is really quick to probe and pop them out. It is easy to feel that it is a coin vs a rock with a little practice. Saves a lot of time.

Once you find the coin you have to use a little judgement and not pry too hard. If the sod is so heavy that you have to pry hard to get the coin out, you will probably scratch it. It is easy to cut a small slit in the sod large enough to get the coin out so you do not have to use so much pressure to remove the coin.

I popped a 1943 quarter out from 2 inches deep earlier this summer and did not leave a mark on it. So if you use care, you will rarely scratch the coin.

Jerry

Probe or Popper?

Coin Probing for the location of the target with a brass rod.
I like the stiffer one better, less bending when working the hole.

Coin Poppings with a screwdriver, where you get under the target,
and lift it up to the surface by prying it up like using a crowbar.

The flat sided screwdriver shafts seem to cut sod better then round.
File the tip over nice and smooth it to prevent scratching targets.

I drilled a hole in the back of a cheap gasket scraper for a brass rod.
That little bend to it is kinda nice for digging and lifting the targets.

Double duty tool, brass probe and the coin popper in one handle.
Popping surface coins this way with a deep pinpointer is alot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom