1793 Louis XVI 2 Sols French Coin!

BlueShuckle

Hey guys, this is definitely my coolest find yet as it breaks the 1700's barrier and is foreign. This is also the weirdest find for me since I'm from the US and this coin was only 5" down.
Anyways, my neighbors left for their trip to India today and I decided to metal detect their yard (with permission from them of course). I had already been to their yard before and found three Indian Head pennies dating at the oldest 1888. I moved to a different section of their backyard and laid out where I was going to detect. I started in a straight line and hit my first target with my F2. I dug up a small sterling silver piece of metal bent up by a lawnmower. This already was pretty awesome, as a small piece of silver is better than no silver. I filled the hole and walked ahead hitting my next target. I don't remember what it showed up as on the F2, but I dug it up anyways. I popped out the plug and dug a bit more down using my pinpointer to locate the item. It showed the item being in the sidewall, so I stuck my digger in it and pulled some dirt out. Right away I saw the edge of a large green coin. I thought I had found my first large cent. As I pulled it out of the ground and saw King Louis's chubby face, I knew I had found something better. I did a little happy dance and dropped it in my pocket since I couldn't see a date on the coin. Later I washed it off and looked more closely and found out that it is a 1793 2 Sols coin! I broke the 1700's with my F2! It was an awesome feeling and I'm sure I will go back to their yard to detect some more, thanks neighbors!

picture.php

picture.php

Here is the very faded date, 1793.
picture.php

What state are you in? How old is this house? Great find. It's in surprisingly good condition. Your soil must be very nice.

That's a really cool find, it's the first I've ever seen! Nice job!

That is crazy what you can find in your yard or your neighbors....nice work.

The house is from the mid-1800's, so I was surprised to see a coin this old in the ground here.

Old and large, works for me!

We have found several here and whatever the metal content, or conditions we dug them in, they looked like silver coins... and trust me I have dug many early copper and silver coins so I wouldn't be fooled very easily even just those few seconds out of the dirt. Mine was a 12 Deniers, but my digging bud's was like your coin and at first glance covered in dirt he thought for sure he had the 8 reale he has been looking for, for 18 years. Both coins were very slick and grey, exactly what a 200 year old silver coin would/could look like.

Anyway, I'm quite into early French coins so that's a good one in my books.

PS... Your coin was minted at the Lille mint and the first five i pulled up from google images were all 1792, so there's a good chance it's a year older than you thought.

Way to go! I can't tell you how refreshing it is to know that you dug something so old without using a $1200+ dollar machine but an entry level machine!!

Wow that is a awesome find! I wish i could find something that old with my F2. :lol: :please:

Pretty darn neat.

Obviously some french dude walked through that property before the house was built. Or maybe he was one of the workers who helped build the house.

Either way, you get a cool French coin

PS... Your coin was minted at the Lille mint and the first five i pulled up from google images were all 1792, so there's a good chance it's a year older than you thought.

Yeah I wasn't sure about the date either but it turns out they were only made for two years and there is a way to figure out the date. On the back of the coin there is something along the side that determines the date (i don't remember what it is but you can google it, i'm on a slow computer right now). I found it and determined it was 1793.

Back
Top Bottom