magnifying glass

JEBar

I'm looking for recommendations on the strength of magnification and a source from which to purchase a magnifying glass to use in looking at found objects ... my eyes aren't as good as they were years ago and need help :roll:

Jim

You might try some of the pawn shops. We have a few that sell jewelry loops for about 4 dollars. They range to 2x mag. to 12x mag. I wouldn"t think you would need more than a 5x or 6x mag.
HH, Wes.

If you already wear glasses(I suspect you might if you already have bad vision), you should look at the Jeweler's loops that fit over existing glasses. Some are hinged and swing out of the way when you don't need them.

The better ones can be pretty expensive, so you might want to try EBay or a pawn shop.

Just my 2 centavos....

2 bucks at wal mart gets you a good glass with a smaller bifocal type viewer. I cant read dates on coins anymore so thats what I use. They work great and if you lose them or break them they are cheep....

10 x.... couple of bucks at a fleamarket

Attachments

• P1010003.JPG
    P1010003.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 207
brooklynct2003 said:
If you already wear glasses(I suspect you might if you already have bad vision), you should look at the Jeweler's loops that fit over existing glasses. Some are hinged and swing out of the way when you don't need them.

The better ones can be pretty expensive, so you might want to try EBay or a pawn shop.

Just my 2 centavos....

I've worn trifocals for many years and sometimes still have trouble lining up the right lens to look through :?: .... I like the idea of a hinged one which would make it much easier to protect the lens ... all suggestions are appreciated

Jim

I use one too. I have one with a light in it and a big area and a smaller magnifing section (I think 2x & 5x - could be wrong though). Can't remember where I got it though, I thing Wal-Mart. That little light sure does come in handy. Great little gizmo. Hope it helps

A loupe, 5 to 10 power is a must in this hobby. I bought this light/magnifyer at Wally-world for like $25.00 and I would'nt be without it. Not the highest quality, but pretty good for the dough...Gil

Attachments

• mag 3.JPG
    mag 3.JPG
    42 KB · Views: 205
  • mag 2.JPG
    mag 2.JPG
    28.9 KB · Views: 193
  • mag  2.JPG
    mag 2.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 198
Radio Shack has a lighted magnifyier for $10. It is reasonably good but the 10x is better, you have to look really close to your eye with it to id small dates and the like.

Back
Top Bottom