First finds

Bluebark

Well I spent the afternoon MDing using a F2 I bought used on ebay and I think I did alright for my first time. 7 wheaties, two cast toy soldiers, a button, some kind of brass strap, foil, and some nails. Took a while to get used to and had to knock the sensitivity down to 2 bars just to keep it from sounding off every time I moved it. The pennies, toy soldiers, button and strap were all found 4in. in and giving me a reading around the 60s. The brass might have given me around 70 something I think. Anyway, I think what counts is that I have a good time and it felt good sticking my hands in the dirt again.

ZtmE8lS.jpg

The second pic is from my very first try. Sunk the fist two big test holes using a long screwdriver stuffing the GP in the hole and got nothing. Went over it again with the F2 and sunk the third hole that gave me a tone and a shake.I stuck my blade in the dirt ready to dig a core and thought I should be getting this on film and pulled out the blade and that is what I saw...Had to take a picture of that!

x9t5DHK.jpg

Last edited:
The soldiers are lead probably 1940s or 50s, the brass strap with slits is a Harmonica reed, you didnt say what years the wheats are. I would say you did alright for first time out. You dont always find silver but you found alot of Cool stuff, congrats.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Congrats on some awesome finds. The F2 is a nice machine. I need to get mine out again sometime. (or sell it...it's sitting in my basement now...haven't had it out at all this season. I think it's lonely)

Very nice! I run the Fisher F22, and I ran into a whole lot of problems with sensitivity as well. I could not turn my sensitivity up above 4 without it falsing over and over. Couple people on this forum chimed in and gave me some idea's. For the F2, if you hold the power button for about 8-10 seconds, it'll reset the machine and erase anything anyone may have done prior to your purchase. Also, make sure the coil cable is TIGHT. I had to take mine off and put it back in and then tighten it back in as much as i could. between those two things, it solved a lot of the chatter.....

Finding wheat cents on your first outing is awesome!! It took me a while to find one! Those toy soldiers are pretty cool too! Looks like you did pretty good, especially for the first hunt out!

I finished what I could with the gear I got and what I learned from my first day. I'm pretty sure all the easy stuff has been found. I did run into what I think is an old garbage heap buried in the back corner of the yard. I know my house was the first of 4 in a new development, supposedly built back in the 20/30s. I think that's where the title stopped. Prior to that, the area was a farm. And I think I may have either confirmed that or dis-proven it with today's finds. I think I found a broken animal bell. So the research on it should give me a rough date on the farm and go from there. I bought the property off the son of the original owner. My neighbor, who was the original owner of the second house, was my local historian until she had to move on. She was a good story teller.

Today's booty..some hardware, a memorial, toy shovels and a broken animal bell? I may decide to dig up the garbage pile and a hunk of old concrete later. I think it was the base for a clothes line. The garbage heap, cloths line concrete, the toys, the wheaties, almost everything were about 4/6 inches deep. I'll bet after the old man passed she had someone sod the back yard. there is a distinct color change in soil going from a dark earth to a brown sandy layer. I didn't start hitting the arrowheads until I got down a couple of feet.

X5W0Qm9.jpg

WtA1lHe.jpg

SmOJOds.jpg

@ChrisnAmanda1 I tried to do some hunting with the F@ sensitivity up a notch to 3 and set the discriminator to nickles and above but it beeped and booped all over the place. And after coming up empty five times, I gave up. the cord is velcroed pretty good to the pole and does not shake. It could be that I have a lot of iron fragments strewn all over the yard. Take note that over the last to days the F2 found a lot of iron and foil (some of the pieces were tiny and at least 4" deep. I was amazed) even though I had iron and foil tuned out.

@KT I like the the flame thrower guy. The paint on his face is really bright. I think I broke the Tank Killer's arm digging him out. (note to self, be gentle digging).

Looks like you're having a great time. I enjoy finding those small lead toys. What you were calling animals bell looks to be a sleigh bell. Congratulations Happy Hunting!

Thanks, i am having a good time. the wheaties are 1925, 40, 41, 44, 45, 46 and 57D.

That is a Crotal bell not a Sleigh bell.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crotal_bell

Used on horse drawn wagons, etc.
Look for markings such as maker's initials and a size.

Dating these is done with markings, if any, and how they were made, mount, slots, sound holes. Post a few pictures and we can probably give you a time range of when this bell was made.

Sure, I can do that no problem. Is there a safe way to clean this before the pics to bring out more of the detail? I have an ultrasonic...I could give it a bath.

Some very nice finds. Sounds like you and the new swing are starting to mesh. congrats on the Wheat's, the Lead Soldiers and all the rest. Shame the Crotel Bell is busted up. They are really neat finds. Trapper

Back
Top Bottom