First old penny

Edward1971

First off , I live in Wichita,ks . I have been swinging for 8 years. Where I live it is really badly developed. Most of the old ground is under newer buildings. Or housing development. So the last couple of years I have been hitting smaller towns around me. Today I finally found my oldest penny. It was a wheat cent. It was a 1910 or 1918 D . My oldest quarter so far is a 1935 . And oldest dime is two mercury dimes. Oldest nickel is a 1942P . When I found the the wheat penny, I thought to my self, this might be the day I find a Indian. But to my disappointment I didn’t find one. Lots of clad. And only one wheat. But to me it was still a good day. The hunt continues . Here’s a picture of my oldest wheat. Made some one can make out the date better than me. Thanks for reading my post and happy hunting.

Attachments

• 86146998-FE9D-4C65-A44C-36562E78FDD2.jpg
    86146998-FE9D-4C65-A44C-36562E78FDD2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 451
Nice!!! I’m still looking for an Indian head myself.... an I see 1918, good luck on the Indian one day it will come that’s at least what I tell myself haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Congrats on the old penny. IHPs most that I have dug come in like a zinc penny. Dig any zinc tone that's 6" or more.

Do you door knock? If not that’s a great way to find older coins

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Still haven’t work up the nerve To try that yet. Most of th older properties around here are on the bad side of town or the higher class , with really nice yards. Do really know how to go about asking for permission . Thanks for the input though.

Congrats on the old penny. IHPs most that I have dug come in like a zinc penny. Dig any zinc tone that's 6" or more.

Thanks for the information. Most of the zinc’s that I find are in 70’s high tone but choppy. And less than two to four inch . I thought about buying one from a coin dealer . Just so I can see how they sound.

Thanks for the information. Most of the zinc’s that I find are in 70’s high tone but choppy. And less than two to four inch . I thought about buying one from a coin dealer . Just so I can see how they sound.

Mdtrap is dead on . Indians run a hair lower then a zink penny so on older dirt the deeper repeatable tones in that zink range should be investigated.

I see a 1918 and A beutiful old wheatie .
Congradulations on the new oldest.
,Dew

I see 1918-D. The D mintmark would rule out 1910, since only Philadelphia and San Francisco minted cents that year.

-- Tom

Still haven’t work up the nerve To try that yet. Most of th older properties around here are on the bad side of town or the higher class , with really nice yards. Do really know how to go about asking for permission . Thanks for the input though.

I’ve hunted yards at huge old Victorians that the yards look like the masters lawn. It never hurts to ask all they can say is no. But it’s always a no if you never ask! There is a lot that goes into my success. I think the main thing that helps me is I have a great personality and I can make a great first impression on people and make them feel at ease within the first 10 seconds or so. Im clean cut with no tattoos and I dress very nice. You never wanna knock on someone’s door all dirty and sweaty from digging and never ever have your gear on like your sheath because it looks like a knife on your hip. When you knock always step off the porch because you don’t want to give the impression that as soon as someone opens the door your gonna bust in on them. Always greet them with a smile and explain that you detect as a hobby and you like hunting older homes from the 50’s and back. I work for a very popular vet clinic in my area so I always throw that at and most times people so oh I take my pets there. If I can tell they are going to say no I throw out that if I find something that may be of interest to you that your more than welcome to have it. But of course the good stuff goes in my pocket lol. Door knocking is really simple all the can say is yes or no. Good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mdtrap is dead on . Indians run a hair lower then a zink penny so on older dirt the deeper repeatable tones in that zink range should be investigated.

I see a 1918 and A beutiful old wheatie .
Congradulations on the new oldest.
,Dew
thanks for this information, I will have dig more zinc penny’s . Sorry for the slow reply. Been really busy. HH

Congrats on your newest oldest coin.Sounds like your hunting grounds are like mine. Almost all of the old ground has been paved over or the top layers removed and replaced with new sod, etc. What old ground I have hunted has been reasonably fruitful but I know it has been hunted hard over the years. Thank god for the ever evolving tech that keeps these places producing.

Nice finds! I have yet to find an old quarter so that’s awesome!

I hear ya on the hoping it would be an Indian. My partner dug one as his fist target on a recent hunt and I dug more wheaties (4) than I’ve ever dug (1), but not one Indian. Then he dug two large cents and I was like, really!?! Hahaha.

Nice finds and good luck in those smaller towns :)

First off , I live in Wichita,ks . I have been swinging for 8 years. Where I live it is really badly developed. Most of the old ground is under newer buildings. Or housing development. So the last couple of years I have been hitting smaller towns around me. Today I finally found my oldest penny. It was a wheat cent. It was a 1910 or 1918 D . My oldest quarter so far is a 1935 . And oldest dime is two mercury dimes. Oldest nickel is a 1942P . When I found the the wheat penny, I thought to my self, this might be the day I find a Indian. But to my disappointment I didn’t find one. Lots of clad. And only one wheat. But to me it was still a good day. The hunt continues . Here’s a picture of my oldest wheat. Made some one can make out the date better than me. Thanks for reading my post and happy hunting.

Nice wheat penny! Just found my first IHP this Saturday after hunting in the US for about 10 months (1888). It's my oldest American coin so far. I've read on this forum it's all about location, and have to agree. And once you find that spot just keep coming back to it and it will yield all sorts of good finds.

Back
Top Bottom