Fisher CZ-3D versus Tesoro Cortes

jimz49

If you had your choice of either machine at the same price which one would you purchase? The machine would be used for coin hunting in lightly to moderately mineralized ground. It would not be used at the beach. Consider things like: weight, batteries, warranty and any other factor that you may think of.

Hands down, the 3D! With the Fisher you are getting a dual frequency machine with superior stability over single-frequency machines. So whether your hunting mineralized ground or in the off-chance you ever go to a beach with conductive salt, you won't have to sacrifice depth in order to "balance" the machine.

Weight isn't an issue with the 8" coil, but if you have any repetitive motion injuries or want a larger coil, you may consider buying/making a harness. The harness will then absorb the machine weight and reduce arm fatigue.

If you are searching for a used machine, consider paying an extra few bucks for a NASA Tom (Tom Dankowski) tuned machine. He is a former Fisher employee and renown calibration expert of Fisher's analog machines. In short, he calibrates CZ's within tighter tolerances to achieve more accurate target identification and often an increase in depth.

AS far as warranty, in my opinion, the CZ's and Tesoro units are built rugged. Both use platforms developed over 20 years ago, then the manufacturers seemed to realize the built something good and then left things well enough lone. From that standpoint, quality control issues were worked out countless years ago....and while a lemon is possible from any manufacturer, your chances are far less than with a machine that was just designed and released.

-David

If you had your choice of either machine at the same price which one would you purchase? The machine would be used for coin hunting in lightly to moderately mineralized ground. It would not be used at the beach. Consider things like: weight, batteries, warranty and any other factor that you may think of.

I'd get the CZ3d. CZ's are the deeper detector, and better coin shooter IMO. The CZ3d is about half a lb heavier, but only uses 2 9v vs. 8aa batteries in the Cortes. The Cortes only last 10-20 hours on 8aa batteries as well which can get expensive. The Cortes does have a Lifetime warranty vs. the CZ3d's 5 year. The CZ is by far a more popular detector than the Cortes. I've owned two CZ's, they were among my favorite detectors ever, especially with the 10.5 coil on them. The CZ can be hipmounted as well. If you're choosing based on warranty or weight I'd say Cortes, but if you're basing it on battery life and performance then I'd say CZ3d.

As DND said the CZ is also dual Freq. which give it an advantage as well.

CZ series

Ran a Cz70pro for years, a very good machine, hit deep, no break downs, I think you will be happy with the CZ3d, happy hunting Earl

I should also add that I bought a CZ7a new in 1998 right after their release, I was in HS and detected 5-6 days a week at cellar holes, I would pack it in a backpack and mountain bike it to my location (18-20miles round trip each day), and for 5 years of hard detecting and the abuse of backpacking it everyday on a bike, I never once had a problem with it. In 2004 I bought a 7 year old CZ7 since I missed my original so much, used it extensively and never once had an issue with that one either. The CZ's are tanks.

CoiltoSoil brought up another great point. The CZ-7, CZ-7a, CZ-70 are older machines but much like digital version of the CZ-3D. They have a digital screen with VDI, and are the same shape, etc.

Con to the CZ-7 series is the processor speed a bit slow. So if you notch out an item, you have to slow your swing speed. However, to avoid slowing down, you can run it in all metal (no discrimination) and then switch over to the target id when you find something.

Pro to the CZ-7 series is they are weather proof. By Fisher definition this means the control box is moisture proof, but not the battery compartment. Basically, you can use it in the rain or drop it in a puddle.....just don't take it diving.

If you are patient, these units come up for sale and sometimes you can get them with extra coils for a steal. About 18 months ago, I helped a buddy of mine get into the hobby when I found a CZ-70 with the 8" and 10.5" coils for $200.

CoiltoSoil brought up another great point. The CZ-7, CZ-7a, CZ-70 are older machines but much like digital version of the CZ-3D. They have a digital screen with VDI, and are the same shape, etc.

Con to the CZ-7 series is the processor speed a bit slow. So if you notch out an item, you have to slow your swing speed. However, to avoid slowing down, you can run it in all metal (no discrimination) and then switch over to the target id when you find something.

Pro to the CZ-7 series is they are weather proof. By Fisher definition this means the control box is moisture proof, but not the battery compartment. Basically, you can use it in the rain or drop it in a puddle.....just don't take it diving.

If you are patient, these units come up for sale and sometimes you can get them with extra coils for a steal. About 18 months ago, I helped a buddy of mine get into the hobby when I found a CZ-70 with the 8" and 10.5" coils for $200.

Yeah I like the CZ7 series a lot, and prefer digital. I'd try to find a newer CZ70 Pro, it was the last of the digital CZ's made. That being said buying a new CZ3d is nice in the fact that you get a full warranty, new detector, and the meter while not digital isn't too shabby. I considered buying a 3D this past Christmas.

CZ3D no question. I would look for a used Los Banos CZ3D, or a CZ6a, the newer ones are said to not be as hot as the older ones. If you can find a 1021 CZ3D tuned by NASA Tom, those things are smoking hot.

I had a CZ6a that hit a silver dime at 11".

I guess there's no doubt, the CZ wins hands down. Although I'm a little surprised there wasn't one vote for the tesoro. I've read many good things about tesoro detectors and that was one of my prime reasons for seeing how the cortes measured up to the cz-3d.

Of course finding a 1021 model or one that has been fine tuned may take some searching.

I guess there's no doubt, the CZ wins hands down. Although I'm a little surprised there wasn't one vote for the tesoro. I've read many good things about tesoro detectors and that was one of my prime reasons for seeing how the cortes measured up to the cz-3d.

Of course finding a 1021 model or one that has been fine tuned may take some searching.

Well, aren't you glad that you asked this question on a forum that has lots of members that have used both machines? :yes:

If you visit NASA Tom's site, you can find more info that I'm sure you'll appreciate. What i read and discussed with Tom is that all the CZ3D's, regardless of year or factory location, are made with the same components. For an undefined period, the Los Banos factory tolerances were tighter than those units made afterward. So, having him tune or re-calibrate the machine gives the machine the best possible performance. In theory, a Tom tuned Los Banos will perform the same as a brand new Tom tuned machine.

Also, I encourage you to message or call some of the online sponsors. They may have one or come across one in trade. The Sponsors here on FMDF are pretty good at inspecting and ensuring all components and features in 100% working order before they resell. Also, if you come across a NASA Tom tuned machine, Tom keeps a running log of all machines he has ever tuned. All you have to do is send him an email and he usually responds pretty quick.

Tesoro makes good detectors, but the CZ3d is a much better coin hunter, has dual freq, visual target ID, etc. I've considered getting a Tejon for relic hunting but for coin and most other types of detecting I like having visual ID, multi freq. etc. If you get a CZ you might also look into the Sunray 12in coil, it hasn't been produced in years and is hard to find, but worth it, however they tend to sell north of $300. Every Sunray 12in CZ coil I've seen hit the market recently has sold immediately.

I want to thank everyone for their input/advice. It's better to ask up front and get it right, than blindly buying and being sorry later.

One question to coiltosoil: I see you have a fisher F75, do you find it to be a better machine over the cz series?

I want to thank everyone for their input/advice. It's better to ask up front and get it right, than blindly buying and being sorry later.

One question to coiltosoil: I see you have a fisher F75, do you find it to be a better machine over the cz series?

It's hard to say, they both have their benefits. The F75 is lighter, faster, and has a better display as well as a DD coil. The CZ was dual freq., more stable, and I can't help but feel it was deeper with the 10.5 coil, though I can't say for sure. I would really like to have a hybrid of both, the light weight design, display, and dd coil of the F75, with the dual freq., stability, and coin depth of the CZ. I can say this, if I was mostly a coin hunter the CZ would be my choice, if I was a relic hunter then the F75 would be my choice. I see them as different beast in that the F75 is a relic machine IMO, the CZ was made for old coin hunting. If you're a coin/jewelry hunter, I'd go with the CZ3d.

My opinion

I had a Cz70 pro, if I pick up a fisher machine, it the F75se or Cz20, the CZ series are still good, built like a tank, the CZ70 pro had a sensitivity setting fro 1-10, the F75se with boost, 1-99 , The Cz70 pro was a good dual frequency machine, if it wasn't for the water machines, they would have been all fazed out by now, only two- available now CZ3D and CZ21, the technology is old, but the CZs still work, and many still hunting with them, I still have a CZ20, but picked it up dirt cheap, if you can get a deal on a used one cheap , go for it, personally I wouldn't buy a new cz3d, Earl

I'm finding out that finding an older cz-3d on the cheap isn't easy. I was going to post a "WTB" on this site, but found I don't have enough posts. What is a reasonable price to pay for a used cz-3d?

I'm finding out that finding an older cz-3d on the cheap isn't easy. I was going to post a "WTB" on this site, but found I don't have enough posts. What is a reasonable price to pay for a used cz-3d?

That's a tough one, and also consider that the old 1021 serial numbered models are supposed to be better made and deeper, these models were made in Los Banos USA, later CZ3d's were made outside the US and most reports claim they are not calibrated as well. So used 1021 models will sell for more than other used foreign made CZ3d's. I'd expect used ones to sell in the $400 range maybe a little more or less depending on condition and accessories. New you can probably get them in the $700 range or so? Not really sure since I never priced them. If you get one make sure to get the Fisher 10.5 coil for it, unless you can find the rare and desirable 12in Sunray CZ soil.

I've seen two of the older units (cz5-6) for $300 and $350, and CZ-3Ds for around $450-550. Last fall a sponsor had a preowned CZ3d with (2) coils, rain guard, and lesche for $400. Again, I think contacting the sponsors is a great place to start....especially since you are new to this and they know how to check the unit to ensure it is in proper working condition.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom