Absolute best Tesoro coin machine?

banshee89

Elite Member
Hello, haven't posted in awhile. Its been cold...... and I haven't been out in months. I'm just itching to get out... but the cold and frozen ground... not my thing.

Last year was my first year of metal detecting. I purchased a Tesoro silver Umax as my first detector... and had great luck with it. I found many... many coins. Check my previous posts... A bunch of silvers, about 2 gallons of clad, wheat's (haven't counted)... If I can get my act together I want to sort everything and do a year end review.

Now.... I had great luck with my silver but I'm looking to upgrade. I want to stay with Tesoro and am not going to consider anything else. Its working for me..... know what I'm saying.

I only hunt coins. Nothing else. The ground around here is mild but I do like running different coils in different situations. With the silver I had to take the unit apart and turn the pot switch when I changed coils.... so manual ground balance would be sweet.

I am really leaning towards the under loved Outlaw. But is it just a silver with more adjustments? Or is it going to be deeper.

I read great things about the Vaquero but it cant use the coils I already have, Its going to be a longer learning curve over the outlaw because the outlaw is similar to the silver, its a higher frequency, and I don't think its as much of a coin shooter as the outlaw.

Now for the wild card.... the DeLeón . People who have one say it is the best coin shooter in mid ground. Cortes would be better but its out of my price range.

What to get?

Again, I'm not getting anything but a Tesoro....... would consider a Etrac if somebody wants to sell one to me for around $500..... other than that... Tesoro works for me.

year end round up will be coming::yes:

15532980661_d76bb0d5eb.jpg

14641777710_a800f99d65.jpg

14440184035_032e46fa4b.jpg

14297641497_1c18c944fc.jpg

14567437373_5860ab7423.jpg

15074707781_85d0a43d31.jpg

15173536035_21bcdd0b12.jpg

14694696390_63c286c92c.jpg

I have a Compadre and a Vaq and hundreds of hours with each one.
I have read about a million posts from owners of all the other models old and new on many forums.
It seems to me that they ALL are great coin shooters.
You just need to decide on what features you would like to hunt with the most.

I have the vaquero and compadre also. First time out with the vaquero xmas day netted me 3 silvers a wheat and some clad. Fantastic machine. Great for jewelry and coins.

Can't tell you which to get. But I found out recently that the Tesoro is made near me in Prescott Arizona. I prospect all the time..... most everyone here raves about the tesoro. Specially since it is so good in highly mineralized soil. I have quite a few machines, but my next will be a tesoro. I would call the tesoro manufacturer and see what they suggest. Good luck!

I owned a DeLeon - I'd still own it but gave it to my son. I do miss it and frequently wish that I still had it since it was really good at the jobs I gave it.

It is good coinshooter, the target ID is pretty handy. I teamed it up with a Cleansweep and turned it into a park / sports field recovery monster. I even found a half-dime with the cleansweep which was my best find with it. It is a no-frills, no-nonsense solid blue-collar detector that, should you get it, you should seriously consider getting a range of carefully selected coils to maximize what it can do for you.

I still own and swing a Golden uMax which is a great detector. It's audio is sweet and it I always seem to find something nice with it. When I am having a poor day, I go grab the Golden and a lot of the time it rewards me with something cool. You would do well to find some videos about it's notching and how it works - you might find yourself wanting one. It is the odd Tesoro in the sense that I would recommend never taking the default coil off of it - the Golden really needs to remain with a tuned coil in order to be most effective.

Just so you know, the Golden is a backup to an XP Deus. I regard the Deus as the next logical step in light-weight detectors that can more than do the job. For me, the Tesoros and the Deus represent a philosophy about enjoyment and these little guys are as close to a magic wand as I can get.

I would like to add something I discovered for myself in 2013.

I have the grandfather to your Silver uMax, The Cutlass uMax and she just plain rocks. Surprises me all the time ( sterling catholic cross and 1894 Barber dime the other night type surprises) love the sound of this machine and know her well.

Like yourself I decided it was time to try a hotter Tersoro and went with the Cibola, I do not know what it was about the sound of that machine but it just didn't talk to me the same way the uMax machine does... And I tried because I really wanted to like the machine, Alas it just wasn't to be and let her go.

Only bring this up because you seem to be having a great time and awesome success with your Silver.

And since I have been considering where I want my next portion of machine money to go, I have been thinking that the Outlaw may just be that machine, already have a 7" and 10.5" concentric's for the Cutlass that will swap over to the Outlaw if I should decide to not go with the 3 coil package ( kind of a hard package to pass up though for the money).

Least this is my thinking on the subject, I wish you the best in your decision,

Lakota

PS. Also after drowning the 8" brown coil, I got the 10.5 & 7" coils at and just after this last Christmas. Haven't done any adjusting to the ground pot. Depth has gained an edge with the 10.5" over the 8" from what I am seeing the last few hunts and no problems with finding small 10K gold links from a bracelet.

Like yourself I decided it was time to try a hotter Tersoro and went with the Cibola, I do not know what it was about the sound of that machine but it just didn't talk to me the same way the uMax machine does... And I tried because I really wanted to like the machine, Alas it just wasn't to be and let her go.

I did about the same thing - got a Cibola with a ground-balance mod. That machine was too particular and too crabby for my likes. I know that some folks think highly of it the Cibola, but I prefer something a bit more mellow. Even backed off, it was just too chirpy for me to enjoy.

This is what I am trying to avoid.

As most people have said, every Tesoro is a great coin shooter and if I have never used another Tesoro I could probably pick up any of them and love it. But I am used to the silver Umax and the sound it makes. Everybody raves about the Vaquero..... but because I am used to the Umax series... I think I am going to have a hard time getting used to it. Sometimes its easier to learn something you have never done then to unlearn old habits and learn a different way to do something. Does that make sense? I'm still leaning towards the outlaw as it has the same sound and seems similar. It does not get a lot of attention compared to the Vaquero.... but then again, neither does the silver Umaxx and that thing works great for me.

One thing I forgot to mention is whatever I get has to have good discrimination and fast recovery times. I know... I know.... most people say to run without any discrimination. In most areas... I have found that it just isn't possible. In fact I usually run with the discrimination up about half way or more. These is just so much stuff in the ground that without discrimination it would be easier to put the metal detector back in the car and just start digging and put the dirt through a sifter. In the woods or a non public spot I run less discrimination and dig more....... but in the public eye.... I like a good signal with discrimination way up.

my Silver Sabre II was a HOT machine, got me into this hobby. I sure wish I still had it ...but the times have changes with me now and my Minelabs. I know what you mean though, if you got that tone you love...stick with it. I sure loved my Tesoro and still have a compadre...only because now I can go to Church and preach!!:laughing:

Banshee I'm glad my thoughts shined some light on this choice.

And completely agree with unlearning habits on more than one front :laughing:

I have the bad habit of not using the F75 of mine like the uMax, not always but a lot of times I end up relying to much on my numbers. For this reason while even after producing a heck of a lot of silver coinage among other finds. On one particular football field I have been using the Cutlass to see what was left behind.

Things I didnt dig/find with the F75 include a 10k ID band and two links of its chain, 1912 king george the 5th One Penny ( size of a US half), silver spoon ring, two IH pennies and a buffalo nickel that is soaking as I type this. I know the ground that these came from has been gone over more then once by me and the fisher with the 5", 11" & 13" detech ultimate coil.

I have the gold itch bad and dig A LOT of trash looking for that yellow metal, and it still surprises me what I myself disc'd out regardless of what my F75 told me. So again love my uMax and she never fails to reward my efforts :)

Site depending I usually run in the red on sens and at 2-3 on the disc, one site is so nail ladened in town that i run it at 5-6, first trip there with the cutlass I ran it at 8 ( almost never run her at 8) and ended up digging a lot of 1920's 30's makeup compacts, one Cara Nome had me thinking I had my first pocket watch :) gotta love them Tesoro's :D

Good luck with it and happy hunting,

Lakota

Any Tesoro is a great detector, if you have a bunch of coils for your Silver uMax you might want to stick to a model that uses them. I have owned and used most Tesoro's and if it were me buying one I would most likely go with the Tejon.

It looks like you are doing a great job with your silver. Really, the only thing that will go deeper is a larger concentric coil. Them silvers are darn good detectors. I will sell my vaquero before I would my silver. I would never get rid of my compadre either. It is like my right arm. I enjoy the Church too. good luck and happy hunting... KEN (Philippines for now ).

Thanks for all the info. I am still leaning towards the Outlaw.

I received a few messages from site sponsors looking to give me a good price. I am in no hurry right now, 3 feet of snow and all...... but in a month or 2 I will get serious.

If I do buy from a sponsor I will only pay with credit card or paypal. No gifts, money orders or check, I only say this because some guys only take money order... and in this day in age... I like a little protection on a purchase this big.

I was thinking of Qualitymetaldetectors.net , or calling them first. Any recommendations?

Thanks for all the info. I am still leaning towards the Outlaw.

I received a few messages from site sponsors looking to give me a good price. I am in no hurry right now, 3 feet of snow and all...... but in a month or 2 I will get serious.

If I do buy from a sponsor I will only pay with credit card or paypal. No gifts, money orders or check, I only say this because some guys only take money order... and in this day in age... I like a little protection on a purchase this big.

I was thinking of Qualitymetaldetectors.net , or calling them first. Any recommendations?
Bart is a great guy to do business with http://www.bigboyshobbies.net/

Back
Top Bottom