• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Z Lynk Question

Bayoutalker

Elite Member
For you guys that have used the Z Lynk headphones for a while now how many hours of use can I reasonably expect before needing to recharge the units? I just bought mine for my AT Pro and haven't used it more than a few hours. Still I see no signs of needing a charge. Garrett says it's best to run them down pretty far before charging but how do I tell?

What do you usually do about charging and how well does it work for you?

Cliff

For you guys that have used the Z Lynk headphones for a while now how many hours of use can I reasonably expect before needing to recharge the units? I just bought mine for my AT Pro and haven't used it more than a few hours. Still I see no signs of needing a charge. Garrett says it's best to run them down pretty far before charging but how do I tell?

What do you usually do about charging and how well does it work for you?

Cliff

The manual says a flashing battery light indicates about 3 hours remaining. The manual also states the battery life is "30 hours (both units)". I don't know if that means 30 hours or 15 hours each. Either way, I've gone on multiple several hour hunts and have never seen the battery light flash. I don't run mine all the way down before charging, and the manual makes no mention of it. I assume they are lithium batteries, and those have no memory. A few times I've just given them a little boost and not a full recharge before grabbing them and going on a hunt.

The manual says a flashing battery light indicates about 3 hours remaining. The manual also states the battery life is "30 hours (both units)". I don't know if that means 30 hours or 15 hours each. Either way, I've gone on multiple several hour hunts and have never seen the battery light flash. I don't run mine all the way down before charging, and the manual makes no mention of it. I assume they are lithium batteries, and those have no memory. A few times I've just given them a little boost and not a full recharge before grabbing them and going on a hunt.
I called Garrett and asked as some of the other devices I own recommend to run the batteries low before charging. They recommend to let them run low first.

I saw the 3 hour thing but was just wondering what others are seeing for battery life.

Cliff

Worst case scenario you lose power and you have to plug in directly. Even then, you could carry a battery charger with dual charging ports to give the modules a boost. I carry one anyway for my phone.

https://www.amazon.com/Jackery-Portable-External-Emergency-Flashlight/dp/B00EA1P8OI
I have the capability to charge in my vehicle but wouldn't want to waste hunting time. Now that I have the wireless setup I'd hate to go back to the cable but I do bring the old headphones along for an emergency.

Cliff

I called Garrett and asked as some of the other devices I own recommend to run the batteries low before charging. They recommend to let them run low first.

I saw the 3 hour thing but was just wondering what others are seeing for battery life.

Cliff

With all respect to their support folks, lithium batteries are fine with partial discharge and charging cycles. I wonder if they wait until their cell phone is low before charging it? Or, if they drive an electric vehicle, if they only plug it in when it's low? People use lithium powered tools all the time and put the batteries back on the charger before they're even close to discharged.

With all respect to their support folks, lithium batteries are fine with partial discharge and charging cycles. I wonder if they wait until their cell phone is low before charging it? Or, if they drive an electric vehicle, if they only plug it in when it's low? People use lithium powered tools all the time and put the batteries back on the charger before they're even close to discharged.
That's been my viewpoint but I do have devices that recommend otherwise. That's why I thought I'd ask.

My main question was to get an idea of how long the batteries last in use.

Cliff

My main question was to get an idea of how long the batteries last in use.

Cliff

Sorry if I got the discussion off track. My point is that mine have lasted so long that I haven't had a reason to wait until they're anywhere near depleted to charge them again. I know they've lasted 10+ hours between charges. I'd be curious to know how long yours last when you run them out...if it's closer to 15 or 30.

Sorry if I got the discussion off track. My point is that mine have lasted so long that I haven't had a reason to wait until they're anywhere near depleted to charge them again. I know they've lasted 10+ hours between charges. I'd be curious to know how long yours last when you run them out...if it's closer to 15 or 30.
You didn't get it off track. Nobody else had responded at all. I do appreciate hearing your experience. I doubt I'll ever see how long they really will last. I don't think I've hunted that many hours total in several years. LOL

The way our weather is going I may not be able to get out much this year either. The ground is so soaked that it's like pudding and a real mess to dig. Takes the fun right out of it. Unless I drive a couple hours to the beach I guess I'm limited to tot lots. I hope your conditions are better than mine.

Cliff

I installed the z link system on my explorer three weeks ago. We have had really warm weather this winter so I have been able to get out four times since the install for a total of eighteen hours without charging. The z link is still going strong and I'm going to use it again today. So all I can say at this point, is at least eighteen hours but I suspect it's going to last quite a bit longer.

I installed the z link system on my explorer three weeks ago. We have had really warm weather this winter so I have been able to get out four times since the install for a total of eighteen hours without charging. The z link is still going strong and I'm going to use it again today. So all I can say at this point, is at least eighteen hours but I suspect it's going to last quite a bit longer.
That's good to hear! I hope I don't forget to charge mine before it is too late. LOL

On second thought, maybe I'll charge it every couple of hunts to be sure.

Cliff

Back
Top Bottom