Need a new digging tool; recommends (under $50)

GillyWI

Elite Member
I know the overwhelming fave is the Lesche, and I may just go that route. I have done a little detecting this year, but have been unable to go for various reasons, only rare chances but hope to up my game before too long.

My birthday is coming up and wife wanted to know what I want. I've never had anything but garden type diggers and when the ground gets hard it really slows me down. I have been happy enough with everything I have except the digger so time to get something made for the hobby.

On the serrated edges I have seem left, right and both edges serrated, what's the difference or advantage?

I do sort of like the thought of the short T Handle Sampson, almost seems like the 18" is even too long and is a little over budget but could probably sweet talk her in to it, does that length work well at a kneeling position?

Any other recommendations appreciated too, I am not fixed on any one brand. I think the T handle might be easier to turn and cut, is my thinking, not sure if it would work out like I think though. I mainly just go to parks and other public areas.

I use a Mini Shovel from Harbor Freight and I love it. In fact I bought 2 more to mKe sure I have one in each vehicle. It's 27" long so you can dig standing, kneeling or sitting. It's tough enough to handle anything I've used it in. The blade is 6" wide and cuts a beautiful plug. The handle is fiberglass so it's lightweight.
Best of all: costs $8

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 551
I use a Mini Shovel from Harbor Freight and I love it. In fact I bought 2 more to mKe sure I have one in each vehicle. It's 27" long so you can dig standing, kneeling or sitting. It's tough enough to handle anything I've used it in. The blade is 6" wide and cuts a beautiful plug. The handle is fiberglass so it's lightweight.

I had been using my Garrett digger, but when I modified it and painted it I grabbed the same shovel as that one from work to use well the paint dried. I was honestly impressed at how well it worked for metal detecting digs. And went and bought on for myself. So yeah, cheap, and works well.

I use the larger Gator digger from Kellyco, a large antique flat blade screwdriver, and a mini shovel like the one above.

That large Gator tool is indestructible and is good for medium depths.

The screwdriver is great for popping shallow targets.

The mini shovel cuts the best plugs for deeper targets

With those 3 you are set for most every situation.

The Gator tool came with the detector, the screwdriver was something I have had forever, and the mini shovel was about $8.99.

A sabretooth digger like this is all I ever use. They work great and with the exception of having to possibly replace the rubber grip at some point they are pretty much indestructable. Under $20 at just about any detector dealer.

Attachments

• 310OrRtwnqL.jpg
    310OrRtwnqL.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 503

I would like the mini-shovel idea if you are hunting open fields or wooded areas but pulling that out in a public park wouldn't look good to me. I hunt a lot of parks and schools and that mini-shovel would probably be my ticket out of those places. Glad it works for you.
I use a Fiskars hand digger that is sold at most stores in the lawn and garden department. I think it was less than 10 dollars. I have had it so long that I don't remember.That also shows how long it has lasted.

Attachments

• Big-Grip-Knife_width306.jpg
    Big-Grip-Knife_width306.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 500
If you are looking for a hand type of digger, I'd go with the Lesche. I have tried several, and the straight (or flat)bladed diggers are simply better to cut any plug shape you want, and is much easier to get into the ground. It does not do as well for scooping out the dirt, but if you dig small holes, scooping dirt is not effective anyway do to the angle of the digger. The sun joe Hori Hori would be the next best thing and is my 1st back up.

As far a a shovel, again I look for something with close to a flat blade. I picked up a USA made drain spade which was about 5" wide and about 15" long and cut it down to 10" in length. I paid $20 for this tool and It works great. Didn't thing a pro style shovel type of digger was nearly important since I don't use it as often and I can put my foot and weight into the spade, and it goes into the ground easily.

The more I do nice yards I like to use a larger digger. It seems to me that I can cut a nicer larger plug than I can a smaller plug. Plus I like that it's easier for me to use since I don't have to get on my hands and knees to cut a plug with. This is what I use but don't let the price scare you away. You can find used diggers of this size for cheaper or you could buy ones. http://predatortools.com/item_details.asp?ID=16

I am getting to where the more I do yards the less I use my smaller digger. The larger size does seem to have a shock value to it with yard owners but if you cut a plug and show them they will see how very little impact it leaves. I would actually like to have a long handle made into mine so the only bending I do is to pick up the treasure.

The same shovel I use. I like it very much. I also us this trowel that is very strong. It's a solid one piece aluminum.

http://mobile.walmart.com/ip/Fiskars-Ergo-Trowel/19794438?type=search

Also...

I like the Wilcox All-Pro 201. It is heavy duty and can really move the sandy dirt out of holes. It is made in the US and stainless steel, plus it's super heavy duty.

http://www.wilcoxallpro.com/wilcox3_tools.html

For light duty use, and for the kids, I use the Fiskars trowels. They are available at Home Depot, and Menards for sure, but they are yellow at Menards and sold under a different brand. Not bad for $1. I sharpen the edges and put little serrations in it with a round file to cut the sod better.

http://www.hardwareworld.com/Trowel-Nyglass-p10K9RL.aspx?gclid=CO3mtrvlkMYCFZWHaQod7pYAZA

--Matt

I would like the mini-shovel idea if you are hunting open fields or wooded areas but pulling that out in a public park wouldn't look good to me. I hunt a lot of parks and schools and that mini-shovel would probably be my ticket out of those places. Glad it works for you.
I use a Fiskars hand digger that is sold at most stores in the lawn and garden department. I think it was less than 10 dollars. I have had it so long that I don't remember.That also shows how long it has lasted.

Just got on here to look for a new digger as well. I had this one, lasted 4 days of detecting in my back yard... We have rocky soil covering clay, handle snapped while I was digging my 12th plug or so. Granted I had a large excavation (foot deep by like 4 wide, found an old dump site), I used a shovel for most of that and only used the digger once I started finding brick in the area. Was 16, got it for 10, but in the market for a new one already so... Glad you had better luck with yours...

I use mine in the woods mostly but also bring along my Garrett digger. Lots of stones and roots up here. In fact I had to reinforce my Garrett digger because I was bending it. The Mini shovel is holding up where I was bending my Garett.

Now to keep up with Chipk ;)

And modified Garrett

I'd avoid shovels in public area. I personally believe the 31" sampson is the best digging tool made, BUT, I would only use on private lands or woods out of average Joe view.

Lots of great options suggested. Lesche Knife is king of the hand tools though.

I'd avoid shovels in public area. Lots of great options suggested. Lesche Knife is king of the hand tools though.

Yes not public areas. I use mine in the woods or fields.

A sabretooth digger like this is all I ever use. They work great and with the exception of having to possibly replace the rubber grip at some point they are pretty much indestructable. Under $20 at just about any detector dealer.

This is what I use also. I got one 2 years ago from Big Boy Hobbies and loved it so much I ordered a spare just in case mine broke. I'm still on my first one. I do have a lesche and hated it. If you ever get to SE Wisconsin you can have my lesche cause I'll never use it.

Thanks for all the recommendations, I ordered a Wilcox 201. The one thing I think I would dislike about the Lesche is the offset handle, I know they do offer different models that are more like a knife.
I have been using the Fiskars, they last a season or maybe less, just broke a different type if Fiskars just last night on a landscape job (wife swiped it from my pouch and handed it to me to try to dig out a root and snapped it, it was not very good at digging anyways).
Also was looking at places to buy online and ended up at Big Valley Metal Detectors site to order the 201, and looking over their stuff saw the Big Valley Ultimate Digging Pouch and was pretty impressed with that. Because the digger cost was so low I was able to talk my wife in to getting me that as well (just over $50 total).
I am typically on school or park land so a small shovel, as some have said, might be an eyebrow raiser for me.

Let me know how ypou like that 201. I touched up the edge of mine with a second cut file, and it does pretty good in the roots up here with the sandy soil.

My 'relic shovel' is a USGI entrenching tool. They are $25 shipped on the e bay and I love it for digging in the woods. I just couldn't justify the $70 shovels, but lots of folks love them.

I started a second thread. The place I ordered the 201 from (Big Valley)is out of them, I also ordered the pouch from him and he says he should have those in shortly so will wait for the Big Valley pouch (I am getting by OK with the one I have which is evidently a all-black version of the red/black one Minelab sells).

So yeah they were out of the 201. I researched it a little and for the digging I do I thought something shorter would work, so I found online a shorter one which also has root-cutter edges on both sides. Unsure of the number but here is a pic (it is a Wilcox)

Attachments

• s-l140.jpg
    s-l140.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 333
My 2 cents

Wow, some great recommendations here (I'm going to get one of HF shovels just as a spare if nothing else). I've used various tools since beginning my THing "career." It was years before I actually started seeing various items in magazines or on-line stores so for awhile I improvised.

I started with a leather tool belt and tool holder (from WalMart I think) and I still use it. I put my Treasure Wise Digging tool and a garden shovel in the tool holder and still have room to put other items like a screw driver, etc. I added the camo pouch to store my finds (has a velcro strap I fasten around belt). And yes, I actually stitched an old sock around the hammer holder and it became the holder for my first (Little Wizard) pin-pointer! Ok, nothing fancy but it all works!

I've broken 2 or 3 garden shovel/trowels and just picked up what looks to be a decent one (red) called "Corona" on sale at Lowes ($8). In the same picture is my original Treasure Wise (blue) digging tool. This little baby has dug in just about all conditions and is still in great shape. Just this past weekend I picked up some little pouches at a flea market that I'll put into use maybe when I'm wading And lastly, I was looking for a little shovel and ran across this folding model from Wenzel for $10. It's got one serrated side so we'll see how that works!

Attachments

• Old & New Diggers.jpg
    Old & New Diggers.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 302
  • Belt & Sock Holder.jpg
    Belt & Sock Holder.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 301
  • Camo & New Pouches.jpg
    Camo & New Pouches.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 293
  • Belt and Tool Holder.jpg
    Belt and Tool Holder.jpg