Discovered Civil War Button in Cortland NY

walt12524

Sean and I went to a local trail in the woods that had some odd foundations. Most of the finds were trash however I came across a civil war button.

Quote from http://www.relicman.com/buttons/B5019.htm
B5019**** Federal officer staff button, eagle with shield, Scovill Mg, dm, (22.2mm)
Button was intended for officers, depicting patriotic symbolism of eagle grasping arrows for war and olive branch for peace.* This die pattern features eagle facing right surrounded by 24 stars, stripes only in shield with concave top and pointed bottom, four arrows in right talon.* Backmark:* "SCOVILL MG CO / WATERBURY" dm small letters, inner solid ring, lettering crowds the rim, ca early 1850's, (ScovillM100).* Three part officer button, coat size, gilded.* Nondug button, gilded, stand up shank intact.
Ref: Albert GS, Tice GS226A17.

Photo of buttton

Here is the photo of the found button.

Attachments

• civil war buttons 001.jpg
    civil war buttons 001.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 509
Hmm. I'm no button expert but it doesn't look like the same button to me. The shield shape is different and there is no edge ring on the one you found.

The arrows clutched in the eagle's claws are also on the opposite side from the one linked. Great find though!

Thanks

I didn't expect to find anything connected to the CW so far from where the battles had been.

Ahh grasshopper.. just because no battles were fought near there doesnt mean the soilder who lost this didnt wear his uniform for years after the war was over.. Only yesterday I saw a guy at walmart wearing a CS belt buckle.. of course the war is not over for us:lol::lol:

Back
Top Bottom