Jefferson Nickels - Do You Keep Them?

AirmetTango

Forum Supporter
Out of curiousity, I was wondering what you all do with the older Jefferson nickels that you find. As we all know, prior to 2004, the design and composition hadn’t changed in about 65 years (other than the silver war nickels) - an extraordinarily long run, but it also makes them monumentally ordinary! Especially in dug condition, a Jefferson nickel from 1941 is worth the same as a Jefferson from 1998...about 5 cents.

I know a lot of folks here don’t bother keeping non-silver coins that hold little value. There are plenty of threads where folks have mentioned just tossing their wheat back pennies in with the rest of their clad, and probably the same goes for their Jefferson nickels.

In my case, I keep my wheaties. Sure, the design is obsolete, but that isn’t enough to convince me to keep them - otherwise, by that logic, I would be keeping Lincoln Memorial cents too. I think I keep wheaties because I grew up thinking of them as “old” - I’m old enough that you would still find Wheaties in your change if you took the time to look, but I’m young enough that anything from the 50s or earlier seems “old”. Plus, I do like the design on the reverse of a Wheatie - to me, it emphasizes that the coin is from another era.

All that said, everytime I pull up an older Jefferson, I have a mini debate with myself. Last week, I unearthed a ‘47 at an old school location and a ‘41 in a curb strip, and the debate started again - save them or chuck ‘em in with the clad. There’s nothing about the design that seems special to me - I’ve seen those nickels all my life, and most of the nickels in our pockets still look identical. At the same time, each of those that I dug last week are over 70 years old.

Anyway, as always, I ended up putting them into a pill bottle with the rest of my dug 40s and 50s Jefferson nickels. In my mind, I’ve come to define “old coin” as anything prior to 1960 for nickels. A little arbitrary for Jefferson nickels, because there’s nothing to delineate a 1960 Jefferson nickel from a 1959 other than that I’ve drawn my own line in the sand for what’s “old” and worth keeping!

How about you? Just pitch them in with other clad? Or do you keep them before a certain date?

Common old coins with no silver content aren't worth keeping. Even the old two cent piece I just found is only worth a few dollars and it's almost 150 years old. I just threw a hand full of nickles and wheaties into the change drawer. The fun is in the hunt--catch and release.

I check them against the "needs" list of young coin collectors and give them to them. Otherwise, I spend them.

I only keep those coins that are older than me unless they are silver. A 41 nickel goes in with the rest of the clad. Different strokes for different folks is what makes life interesting.

Other than the silver wartime nickels, dug Jeffersons are basically worthless other than face value so I cash them in with the other clads. I put aside older Jeffs I find in change, especially the mint marked ones but even those are usually worth only face.

I kept a 1960 i found. It is the earliest Jeff i have found although I have dug 2 Buffs and 2 Vs.

I have been keeping old coins for years. Any coin Viet Nam and back that I find or get is kept.
If it is worth nothing beyond it's face value then I am saving money and that is not a bad thing.

HHGLMD

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk

Non silver nickels go into my quart fruit jar where I accumulate clad dimes and quarter coins found detecting. At the end of the year I tumble clean them and turn them in for United States 90% silver coins. So... at current spot, every 25 nickels you find will get you a silver dime!

I had probably several thousand 1938-1958 Jeffersons that I’d saved over the years. Most were found roll hunting. I dumped all but the war nickels and earlier.

Strange thought you had about nickels that I love! :laughing: I find myself looking and appreciating the 'depth of strike' on the older Jeffs even in pocket change...the newer coins are so shallowly struck, no regard to die crispness and tonnage set up...its like they are minting cheap play money...

Some people do indeed hoard nickels, along the same idea of hoarding copper pennies, for the Metal Cash in value possibility when and if they are discontinued...

then theres the whole story about the 'Henning Nickel' counterfeiter if you want something interesting!!! Google it up today and read about Henning concerning nickels!...the guy minted counterfeit Jeffs!

Every once in a while, one of us decides to go on a Nickel Quest...Hunting old familiar highgraded clad/silver areas for as many nickels they can find...It is a noble and worthwhile effort once a guy has highgraded a radius of places and has nothing left to live for except getting outside and on a quest...Getting an ear for and hunting nickels is a fun and great challenge...Not a lot of money in it for a mega cladder, but It makes an old familiar spot fun to hunt again!

Add me to the list who tumble clean and trade them in with the rest of my clad .
All clad then is traded for silver.
Every nickel as every Memorial is Treasure.
I found it .. it has value and will be burried in my back yard in one form or another someday.👍
My hang up is what to do with these wheat pennies?
Dew

To me the older Jefferson nickels look better to me since they having a heavier strike. What year did that change?

beephead

Back
Top Bottom