YOU'RE ALL A PACK OF LOWDOWN THIEVES / CRIMINALS

Stevek

ACCORDING TO THE US GOVERNMENT!!!

Let me start at the begining;  Drove 90 miles today on a special day off for the sole purpose of detecting at a park where the water has dropped back beyond the swinning area.  Thousands of people visit this site in the summer time, it was a beauitful sunny day, at least five acres of sandy beach and I'm the only one there.  I have swung not more than twenty feet and already found two targets and thinking maybe I should go and start at the "not" floating dock and see now many rings fell off there??

Then my dream day comes to a CRASH!!  A "NATIONAL PARK RANGER" gets my attention, asks me to remove my headphones and tells me I have to leave, says he could write me a $200.00 plus ticket.....  OK I did make a mistake, I do know that in National Parks there is NO metal detecting, NOT even allowed in your vechile, I know that.  It was just I have fished out of this park for over 15 yrs and never clicked that is was a "National Park" I always thought of a "National Park" being something like Yellowstone or Mount Rushmore.  Not just a sandy beach with a grassy picnic area. So I did mess up! my day received a bad blow, it could have been worst and there could have been a $200.00 ticket on top of everything.

BUT! Driving the 90 miles / 2hrs back home I got to thinking......... I was told that the law exists because someone with a detector stole some artifacts. Basicly something that no one knew it was there, and didn't know where it was, "show up missing" and a fool Treasure Hunter was the idoit at hand.  But I wasn't out to STEAL a artifact, no artifacts are within 300 miles of that beach, and no metal artifacts within a 1000 miles safe to say.  But yet I was / am considered a risk, untrust worthy and probably a thef because I want to use a metal detector.  If I would have shown up with a shovel, maps of where Indians could have camped, history books telling of Indian travels and camping grounds nothing would have happen.  But I showed up with a metal detector to look for coins, rings and other jewelry I'm / we are classified as a menace. 

Question; how many acreas of national forest, something which is seen, very beauitful, enjoyed by thousands has been burned down by some careless smoker?  But I have never heard of someone being fined or there being a law about taking a pack of smokes into a national park.  But some artifact if it happens to be metal, which no one knows anything about or where it might be, which no one has seened or enjoyed has to be protected against us evil Treasure Hunters?  Maybe if THers were allowed to hunt properly in national parks some of these artifacts might come to light and be enjoyed as history for all to see.  But the US government feels you the metal detector user are not that honest, you can't even be trusted to have one in your car on national park property.

Should it be against the law to steal artifacts from government property?........ I think so, yes!
Should Treasure Hunters (are detector owners the only THers?) be singled out as the main offenders of this law?........  Doesn't seem right.
Should there be permits and and guide lines to enjoy this hobby in national parks?........... I don't have a problem with that.
Should we be considered guilty before it's been proven other wises?.........  I don't think so.

I have not been at this hobby that long and maybe I dont' know of some movement to get this law modified.  Would like a heads up if there is one.

Thanks SteveK

Re: YOUR ALL A PACK OF LOWDOWN THIEVES / CRIMINALS

This is what the tree hugging liberals do best. Mess with good honest folks, and whine and cry about some criminals rights. These are the same folks pushing for one world order. That will be a great deal too.!!!!! :?:

I don't understand how you can steal something no one even knows is there! We go on about protecting culture and history, yet we dump trash all over parks, etc. We are polluting our environment big time, yet laws to protect it are so hard to pass? The reasoning of Government has no logic. That's my two cents.

Its another one of those "no spitting on the sidewalk" laws. Because some inconsiderate spit on a sidewalk years ago and a judge stepped in it we have the law. We all pay the price for the actions of others thats why it is important to be a good example of our hobby.

I feel your pain. Nothing make me as mad as a law that keeps me from recovering history from a farmer plowed field. Twice a year the farmers plow destroys historical relics that will NEVER EVER be recovered yet I'm a crook for wanting to recover and save the relics.

Unfortunately there may be nothing we can do about National Parks but we must be proactive and keep up with rules and legislation that would be restrictive to the hobby. I think joining clubs and organizations that are atuned to the problems we face, such as restrictions of the hobby. One organization that is a good site that is very atuned to the laws and regulations against the hobby is www.wwats.org. Check this site out it may be what your looking for.

Sorry to hear of your bad luck, but the info. will help many a newbie be more cautious. I can't believe its a 200.00 fine, just even to have one in your car, thats what is going wrong with America, To many laws. and restrictions, It only takes one to ruin it for the rest of us. smg :( That sucks.....

user18 said:
First of all I personally don't like the term 'treasure hunter' because it implies that one's goal in using the detector is to seek, find, and presumably steal "valuable treasure". 'Metal detecting' is not the same thing as 'treasure hunting'.

I've never liked the term either, Epi, for the same reason... but what can you do when everyone uses it? :roll:

The term treasure hunter is a marketing term to help sell more detectors, if you think fighting the government is bad, try Madison Ave.

I do not consider myself LOWDOWN I am an honest thief thank you very much. This is why we preach research before you hunt and ask the park ranger if there are any restrictions on where you can hunt. Cladius.

Cladius,
I agree with you and beleive one should follow and obey the law, what I don't agree with is the fact that you / we are blacked balled as a person by the government because you want to enjoy your hobby in your National Park.

SteveK

IMHO, I strongly believe we as detectorists provide a valuable service to the community. We remove trash that could hurt a small child, or an adult for that matter. We have located sites of historical significance, something that may have gone unnoticed forever. I know that National parks are off limits to us(unsure really why :?:) but there are vast areas we can hunt in. Here in Michigan, better than half of our state parks are off limits to detecting. This is and excerpt from the state park rules for detecting.
"Metal Detecting Areas
Metal detecting is recognized as a legitimate recreation activity." :shock: :?: But yet we still are looked upon as vandals. Just dosen't make sense to me.

beerdoodle said:
Write George Bush, I am sure he will be on top of it right away :lol:

Ab-so-lut-ly, BeerDoodle... that should do it.
After all... look how he's fixed everything else...!?! :lol:

We the people...............................................vote
pop

poptop said:
We the people...............................................vote
pop

Right Pop... but who gets to count 'em...? ... and what does it matter? :lol:

:lol: Yeah, I s'pose that's the only alternative, huh?

What state did this take place in, must be close to some importance, its not easy to gain Natl park status..But you were let off and that is a good days worth of work like getting a verbal for speeding...least you were sensible and professional and that is important in are hobbie..MCC

Your right on "we the people...vote"  but it's also true that the sqweaky wheel gets oiled...
Think we need to help out these groups like Terry 55 has given us a link to.  Let the government know that just because we look under rocks does not mean we crawled out from under one.

SteveK

Back
Top Bottom