Gator Plugmaster

Scrltt641

I DESPERATELY would like to find a Gator Plugmaster. Kellyco seems to be the only company who sold it, but no longer does because the fellow who makes them for him...his machine broke. They used to have someone else make them for them, but I haven't been able to get hold of him, either. Can someone please help me?
Scrltt641

These are just another version of the Hole-Hog. Not very good after a few uses and very bulky to carry along. Also , the perception of what you're going to do with that is never a good one. I'd stick to smaller hand held diggers.

Tony, when hunting on nice lawns, I need something that will just make a plug that can be returned to the ground. The regular MD diggers I have are great for other places and fields, but not lawns. They seem to usually make too wide a hole, and in order to go more than, say, 4 inches, the hole gets too big. Impossible for me to dig deeper without making a larger hole.
Scrltt641

Tony, when hunting on nice lawns, I need something that will just make a plug that can be returned to the ground. The regular MD diggers I have are great for other places and fields, but not lawns. They seem to usually make too wide a hole, and in order to go more than, say, 4 inches, the hole gets too big. Impossible for me to dig deeper without making a larger hole.
Scrltt641

Remember I said perception. Have you used one of these devices before? I consistently make holes less than 4" wide and recover targets as deep as 12" without making them larger in diameter. I hunt mostly lawns and use a sabretooth digger or knife.

Remember I said perception. Have you used one of these devices before? I consistently make holes less than 4" wide and recover targets as deep as 12" without making them larger in diameter. I hunt mostly lawns and use a sabretooth digger or knife.

No, I haven't used one before. I also make holes no wider than 4", Tony, but how the heck do you get 12" deep without making the holes wider? PLEASE share this with me. I have an awful time digging more than 5 or 6 inches deep without making the holes wider.

Scrltt641

You scrap out the sides if need be from below the grass line being careful not to cut the roots. Your digger should be about 10 to 12" long so if you're that deep you'll know it.

You scrap out the sides if need be from below the grass line being careful not to cut the roots. Your digger should be about 10 to 12" long so if you're that deep you'll know it.

No problem. It's not easy but it does work. Pinpointing can be a bear sometimes. Using an electronic probe definitely can help. Many targets are not perfectly flat and the signals can be "deflected" from them making you pinpoint to one side. This causes many to dig wider holes. The probe can show the target in a better position so you don't have to dig as deep or as wide. Depth reading on detectors drops off the deeper the target and eventually becomes makedly inacurate in actual numbers. Good Luck .

Well, I do have a Bullseye II Pinpointer that works wonderfully. However, I can only dig, as I said before, about 5-6" at most without making a wider hole. Just can't wait for warm weather, and ground that isn't muddy or frozen!!!! LOL
Scrltt641

Just out of curiousity, would a flower garden plug tool work? I was in lowes the other day looking around, and just happend to see a Plug digger that people use to plane flower bulbs. It is about 3inches in diamater and round with a handle across the top of it.

Thanks, Strack. I have one, and may try it. It's quite a bit larger in diameter than the Plugmaster, and perhaps not as long. But will give it a shot.

Scrltt641

Back
Top Bottom