Want to start a major contest

Tinky1878

Forum Supporter
I want to start back the Dirt Fishing Contest, but I cannot remember what some of the issues were last time. Let me know what you think. I know Kris started to start it back this year, but decided not to.

Thanks!

-Jake

The biggest issue tink and I had last year was complaints...i tried to do what everyone wanted and threw everything out on the table..everything was debatable before the contest but then once it started all I got was "why this..why that..thats not fair"..etc etc and then some folks just got to competitive like a million dollars was on the line or something..then we had some folks who left there partners hangin but where the first in line when it came time to hand prizes out but I think the majority had fun and I agree the last one was to long..this one will be 2 months at the very most. and that is a problem..you folks over on that side of the country dont have the coins we have over here..at least not as commonly.
Im really starting to think that a scavenger type hunt will be best...with a list of items commonly found all over the country and we will leave rare coins out like the large cent and what not. comments?

I think the problems were that people debated the rules, some partners bailed and came back in time for the prize, and the Eastern US, Western US, and Europe have different odds to finding old coins.

There were a couple of folks that did complain about the regional issues and the rules(And pretty much everything else), but I think that more than a couple people had fun.

If we could put our thinking caps together, I believe we could come up with a contest that would be enjoyable. Stan, would you want to help me with this? Kris still may be fed up from the last contest.

Whatever you need from me concerning the idea, Jake please just ask. I had a GREAT time the last one and learned so much from the contest. I gained a alot of experience from it. I really had fun..

Bruce

I can help too! A large contest put on by the teen mods :D

I really like the DirtFishing contest setup, maybe something similar with tweaked rules

Well, good luck if you decide to go ahead..pretty irrelevant thing from my viewpoint ;)
I just want to note that in the user cp there is an option "Receive personal messages only from contacts and moderators"...you may want to set that 'on'.

So if people want to whine, let them whine in public instead of bombarding you with those 'why oh why whine' messages. Cuts down spam imho :)

Voriax

So if people want to whine, let them whine in public instead of bombarding you with those 'why oh why whine' messages. Cuts down spam imho :)

I think if they want to whine, we let them whine before the contest begins, i.e., we post our rules in a thread and let people critique them before the contest begins

So when is the contest going to start? Last years time frame was good, going three months from 1 sept through 30 Nov. Three months was a long time. make it two months or 1 1/2 months from 15 Sept through 15 Nov would be my suggestion. Fall hunting is the best time. As far as the whining goes, state the rules up front and NO changes will be made. That's it plain and simple. You think teams will work again or to solo as some times this hobby is an individual conquest. Just my thoughts. You need anything Jake just PM me..

Bruce

I think solo will be better, it eliminates the "1 partner dropping out", but teams let people get to know eachother.

So when is the contest going to start? Last years time frame was good, going three months from 1 sept through 30 Nov. Three months was a long time. make it two months or 1 1/2 months from 15 Sept through 15 Nov would be my suggestion. Fall hunting is the best time. As far as the whining goes, state the rules up front and NO changes will be made. That's it plain and simple. You think teams will work again or to solo as some times this hobby is an individual conquest. Just my thoughts. You need anything Jake just PM me..

Bruce

I agree with everyting you said. Thanks, Bruce!

I think solo will be better, it eliminates the "1 partner dropping out", but teams let people get to know eachother.

What if we allowed people to pick their teams, but if you choose to be on a team, the points value for the particular coin/ object is cut in half for the each of you?

So, if I am by myself, a Wheaties 2 points, but if I am on a team, it is worth 1. That way, everything will be equal weather you are on a team or not.

But, I would say that we would need to Moderate the teams a bit. We don't want Kris and Dave on the same team together... LOL! That would not be fair at all. :lol:

If you don't like the ideas, feel free to give your ideas. ;)

What if we allowed people to pick their teams, but if you choose to be on a team, the points value for the particular coin/ object is cut in half for the each of you?

So, if I am by myself, a Wheaties 2 points, but if I am on a team, it is worth 1. That way, everything will be equal weather you are on a team or not.

But, I would say that we would need to Moderate the teams a bit. We don't want Kris and Dave on the same team together... LOL! That would not be fair at all. :lol:

If you don't like the ideas, feel free to give your ideas. ;)

I like it!!!!

Kris and Dave would win it all :lol:

Back
Top Bottom