First hunt with the 17" coil yields silver

North Shore

I tried my new 17" coil at the beach near my parents, the beach doesn't get hit hard with wave action and I believe it is protected from easterly winds but it's close by and has a history of duck hunting etc. Found a silver quarter, either a 44 or a 54, you could shave with it its so thin. Can't wait to get it out on some land to do some coin shooting.

Attachments

• bullet.jpg
    bullet.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 252
I love it when the copper memorials (clad etc...) is paper thin like that. It tells you're in an older strata. Granted: The silver coins TOO will be numismatically worthless, but ......... fun fun fun :laughing:

Sweet

Have have yet to determine which does better at the beach the CTX 3030 with 17 , or the Nox with 15 coil , i have to put the Nox down , and take the CTX out next time.

I love it when the copper memorials (clad etc...) is paper thin like that. It tells you're in an older strata. Granted: The silver coins TOO will be numismatically worthless, but ......... fun fun fun :laughing:

What do you think the reason the coins come out so thin at this particular beach is? I've watched beach hunts on youtube and the coins aren't always thin but they're old

What do you think the reason the coins come out so thin at this particular beach is? I've watched beach hunts on youtube and the coins aren't always thin but they're old

The reason coins can get thin (even paper thin sometimes) is that they are washed in and out on the moving sand and tides. Sand in the inter-tidal zone, is not stationary. It moves with the seasons (storms, swells, tides, etc...) And so the coins get sandblasted after having hitched endless rides in the moving sand.

And if certain old coins are NOT thin, that means they were up higher in the sand, and only got pulled down in to the inter-tidal zone at a later point in time.

The reason coins can get thin (even paper thin sometimes) is that they are washed in and out on the moving sand and tides. Sand in the inter-tidal zone, is not stationary. It moves with the seasons (storms, swells, tides, etc...) And so the coins get sandblasted after having hitched endless rides in the moving sand.

And if certain old coins are NOT thin, that means they were up higher in the sand, and only got pulled down in to the inter-tidal zone at a later point in time.

Thanks, I am learning about beach hunting as this is the first winter I've tried to get out and do it. Makes sense to me, the sand is pretty abrasive.

Back
Top Bottom