• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

EQ counter weight

dewcon

Quality Control Expert
Before you all beat me up to much ..... ya i know the machine is light. Hey .... but im old.

I happen to have an old board pod for an Xcal laying around thanks to Joe (ole beach nut) never thought id have a use for it. But here we go....... i cut it back .... used a small piece of lower shaft and plunger lock that i also had and in about 20 min threw this together. Pardon for its ugliness...... ill clean it up later. Did yo know ..... if yo cut a board pod in half ..... the two halves are the same size of a battery pod? I cut mine back about 3/4" shorter than a battery pod..... my preference. I could have just attached an Xcal battery pod with battery and been about the same weight i think. It can extend back about 4 more inches or so if needed.

From what i can tell so far it wont be needed in the water..... it seems to move smoothly... but its still a little nose heavy on the dry sand after a few hours of hunting.

Attachments

• 20180330_135657.jpg
    20180330_135657.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 280
Hey cant help it the machine in my bed aint as pretty as yours..... but shes a working girl.:laughing:

Dew

Probably had mine out more than you, between land . and sea , :laughing:, just use your Excalibur's in the water, solve's your complaint :roll: happy hunting.

You are smoking rope if you really believe that. Its not a complaint. ... sone people were looking for ways to do a counter weight.

The

Machine is coil heavy, i have not run mine under the water yet, however it should do good as the coil will stay under being coil heavy with the stock, as far as land, i moved my cuff all way to the rear, so don't notice what your major complaint is, and adding a counterweight to balance out the machine only makes it heavier, even though it help's, when not submerged, in the wet and dry, just run your CTX3030 better balanced , but heavier , same scenario , don't have no smoke here, what are you :shock::lol::?: PS just mount a GO Pro in the rear, not seeing any Florida girl's , out of Felix :(, Romy takes the cake . Its your turn to shine :yes::D Dew i did state the machine is not perfectly balanced on DaviDs complaint thread, but by far not a major issue on a machine weight of under 3 lbs . But whatever float's your boat bro., Good Luck with it . ------------- weight
Before you all beat me up to much ..... ya i know the machine is light. Hey .... but im old. :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing

Last edited:
Dew

Do you know how much those pods cost ? The none submersible type are 80 bucks, that's good money that could be used on a 15 inch Equinox coil , or accessories, my point is, most don't have extra pod's laying around to cut up, not saying it was a bad idea if you had a pod extra , but personally if it were to bother me, i would have used a swivel and put a fishing lead weight on the arm cuff slot's. Cheaper

Nothing wrong with using a counter weight.
I've done the same with my cz 21.
I had an old cracked pod from an excal..
You do whatever can to extend your time enjoying this activity.

You dont have to cut one off.... just use a battery pod with battery you have charging. I just did it on a whim. You could get a pod..... drill it out and put a waterproof USB in the cap...... it would work as a counter balance and once out of the water.... just snap on the charger for a long day.

What ya talking about .... we are tripping all over girls down here.:lol: Its not an easy life .... flip flops and shorts year round.

NO complaint..... the coil moves very well in the water better than both the Xcal and CTX. Glides right on the bottom. I tested the other day during a RED FLAG day the water was a moving but it handled it very well.

Dew

Did it balance any better while the coil was submerged , as i don't have to much to B----- about it on land, however when the 15 coil finally is available THIS might become a issue, so what you came up with , is a good idea :thumbsup: PS with that headline , you know , :yes: :hornetsnest: had to :laughing: couldn't help myself :D

Honestly Surf..... she does quite well in the water... balanced very nice out there. Once the weight of the coil is equalized by the salt water shes sweet to swing. Its going to be interesting to see if we can possibly use the big coil out there on calm days here in the gulf. Also....if it CAN be run out there how will it react? CB may well help on the dry/wet with that big ole coil.... but the ML might surprise us and it might be lighter.

Great idea Dew. Is there any way to find a counter weight that would fit inside the shaft behind the elbow? Like melted down fishing weights or similar.
I have my tdi mounted behind the elbow for the same purpose.

Not sure an equal weighed shaft is the answer...... id say being able to move it with most of the weight on the end may be better. Even something like a BOW weight might work...... im sure there are MUCH better ideas than i have. Having it on the end might require less weight as well.

Steve

That's a good idea, on mine i notice with the cuff all way back , exposes 2 pre drilled holes, put a bolt through one of the holes along with a small piece of shaft with melted lead could be the answer , bolted down use the same end cap on the end that comes with the machine , i guess the wright amount of lead is the ? Don't have a lead melt here , but plenty fishing sinker's found here .

Not sure an equal weighed shaft is the answer...... id say being able to move it with most of the weight on the end may be better. Even something like a BOW weight might work...... im sure there are MUCH better ideas than i have.

just the end part filled.. like a hammer. Not sure how much your counter weight weighs or how much weight you could ram into a couple inches of the extra pipe though.

That's a good idea, on mine i notice with the cuff all way back , exposes 2 pre drilled holes, put a bolt through one of the holes along with a small piece of shaft with melted lead could be the answer , bolted down use the same end cap on the end that comes with the machine , i guess the wright amount of lead is the ? Don't have a lead melt here , but plenty fishing sinker's found here .

Fishing weights would likely be very troublesome. Easiest way would go to a steel shop and find a solid steel pipe with the exact diameter you need. Then just cut off a couple inches and ram it into the extension shaft.

Back
Top Bottom