tex-mex war

glenny

while out detecting the other weekend, I had a gentleman holler at me from over a fence separating a football field and a cemetery, wondering if I found anything worth keeping? Just a few coins and plenty of can-slaw, I ask him if they were getting ready for a funeral. His reply was no, we are waiting for the archeologist to show up from Texas A&M so we can start the dig. :?: To make a long story short, this cemetery dates back to the early 1800's and was a site where several soldiers and early settlers are buried. oddly enough, no one was ever buried in the center of the cemetery due to the belief that there once was a mass grave at this site. local history has either about 200 solders from the tex-mex are buried here and then had civil war solders added at a later date, Some stories have that Karankawa Indians that were massacred by settlers are also buried here. Short Texas history lessen, West Columbia as it is known today was the site for the first capital of Texas. Sam Houston himself rallied and gathered troops there for the tex-mex war effort. In addition, a hospital was built to treat wounded soldiers and people suffering from yellow fever. Once the yellow fever ran rapid, they started buring the dead in a mass grave. Thus no head stones. Some old residents of the town say that they or older relatives remember seeing several small white crosses at the spot where the dig is now going on. After the archie started digging, they found what he called burial dirt about four feet down, which he said was the top of the burial site. They have since trenched out the outskirts of the burial pit (his words) and are waiting for students to return from their Christmas breaks to resume the dig. I have a few photos of the dig. I was even lucky enough to get my picture in the local newspaper :D

WOW, looks like there may be a chance for you to make some contacts there. Sometimes colleges will allow volunteers to help them with the project and your detector could come into play at some point. May be worth a try not to mention a excellent oppurtunity to promote the hobby in a positive light.
Anyhow, thats a neat story, keep us updated. I for one would like to know what all they find there.

they were letting people crawl down and dig alittle. Another detector and I were a little busy looking at the piles of dirt that came out of the ground then what was still in there :yes: here are somemore pic's.

I hope there's a follow-up post on this soon, Glenny. Kinda anxious to see if you find anything on that site.

I'm still watching the graveyard for any action. They completed another burial site here a year or so back. They unearth a civil war solders and settlers. they found knives, wooden buttons, alot of whiskey bottles, and one lady with 24k gold earings that where about 3-4 inches long. oddly enough, the archie, said that almost every body was buried in their long johns and night gowns. He assumes that it was due to either that where on their death bed (yellow fever) or that their uniforms were needed for the war.

I hope they knew better than to re-assign a uniform that was worn by a yellow fever casualty.
That'd kinda be defeating the purpose, huh?!? :wow: :lol:

they boiled them in water, washed them in lye soap, sewed up the bullet holes and reissued them. nice huh!

I too have been following areas of the Tex-Mex war. I am searching an area where troops in the east invaded Mex for the first time. there are still aa few officer bguildings standing, but not a place you woulod want to be for very long, turned into a dangerious area. I have found so far 3 bullet slugs. Nothing else. Hope to find alot more. If your interested in some pics, plesse feel free to visit a site i have just recently completed....... http://www.geocities.com/dperkins915you can click on the military link and theres a few. If you still waoulod like more, feel free to e-mail me and i will provided you with all i can.

Please keep us updated as too what you find......good luck

Back
Top Bottom