Buying Coins Question

Joseph92

Hello all.

Does anyone buy coins with any success? I don't get much out of the banks I usually check, so does anyone have any method they're using to obtain quantities of coins that is safe, affordable, and works?

A few years back I attempted to buy a box of coins. Any coins I asked for. Pennies, nickels, dimes etc..... Was told in several different banks I had to have a business account or just flat out no can do. So I haven't tried again.
Good luck though in your quest

I use a large bank that has several branches in my area. There are other banks in my area also, some will sell my coins, some limit the amount I can get a week, and some flat refuse because I'm not a customer. Even different branches of the same bank will tell me different things. One bank limits me to $100, go to a different branch, I got a $250 box of dimes from them Friday. Go figure, just have to ask and hope.

Hit the pavement and talk to bank managers.

I was searching over $30k in coin per year for seven years until recently, and have been a roll hunter since about 1978.
At one point I had accounts with six different banks and even had banks order for me that I had no account with. Never a problem ordering coin.

Just watch out for misc fees. I never had to have a business account and was never charged to order boxes of coin, (in the hundreds). Watch out for minimum account balance fees. They can appear out of nowhere at any time.

KT has used one local bank with many branches over the past 3 years to consistently order 5 boxes of halves a week, you can figure the cost of $2500/week/3 years. To start this, I had to verify a business account through my wife...no cost for ordering or returns and KT buys from 1 branch and dumps they at another couple. Never a gripe from any bank employee, but early griping from Loomis, the supplier...actually the local delivery fellow..which was straightened out by the bank manager who told me about it...it really peoed him because that was the man's job, delivering whatever was ordered each week. No griping recently.

I use a credit union where my mortgage was written, I picked up a box of halves yesterday and felt bad that I was dumping my last box into their coin counter. I told the manager that if this was a problem I could open a acct. at another bank to return my coins, she said no problem at all, use the coin counter any time I like. She even gives me a call to let me know when my coins are there, couldn't be happier with their service.

I use a credit union where my mortgage was written, I picked up a box of halves yesterday and felt bad that I was dumping my last box into their coin counter. I told the manager that if this was a problem I could open a acct. at another bank to return my coins, she said no problem at all, use the coin counter any time I like. She even gives me a call to let me know when my coins are there, couldn't be happier with their service.
You might want to dump as far away as you can, even into another district, as you may find you are searching the same coins over and over again, because they are re-rolled and re-distributed locally.

I've used as many as 5 different banks, gone through $3500 worth of coins in the last couple of months. I found 1 silver coin, a quarter. Things sure have changed. My past experience has been much more fruitful than my experience lately.

I'm going to be off from work for the next 5 weeks, so I may give it another try. Maybe find a few more banks to try.

Back
Top Bottom