2014 CRH wheat penny totals and summary

BKuszWhy

Well, I was really hoping to crack the 1000 wheat penny mark just through CRH'ing this year but it is not to be. Unless we get back from New Years Eve festivities earlier than expected my final count will be 981 for the year.

I found 4 IH pennies CRH'ing this year (1883 X 2, 1903, 1905). The oldest wheat penny found this year was a 1911. The oldest wheat penny that I found multiples of was 1918 (4). I found 7 pennies between 1909-1919, 27 between 1920-1929, 33 between 1930-1939, 356 between 1940-1949, and 558 between 1950-1958. Of those 50 were 'S' mints, 496 were 'D' mints, and 435 were 'P' mints. I found a total of 698 'S' memorial pennies from 1968-1974. I also found 17 1998 Wide AM pennies, 2 1999 Wide AM pennies, and 40 2000 Wide AM pennies.

I searched a total of 8580 rolls of pennies this year for a grand total of 429,000 pennies searched (or 1175 pennies per day). All but 70 of those rolls were CWR rolls. I have several banks close to where I live that save me all CWR rolls that are brought in so I rarely have a need to get FWR rolls as I seem to never be able to catch up on what I have to search (I still currently have $240 in CWR to hunt in the office). One of those banks is gracious enough to supply me with plastic return bags that I can return $25 of loose pennies at a time and then they send them back to the fed. If I had to re-roll or go to a change machine I probably would not do this on the level I currently do.

I have an Excel spreadsheet that keeps up with all my finds. I just input my finds and it figures up my totals for me. It is a program I did myself. If anyone would like a copy of it you can post your e-mail address here or PM me on the forum and I will send it to you. I normally password protect all Excel programs I write but I left all cells open in case anyone wants to make modifications to it. Please let me know what you think of it.

I hope everyone has a happy and very blessed New Year!!!

Wow that's a lot of wheaties! Congrats. Going through so many pennies, I sure hope you are culling the coppers while you are at it...

geez thats a ton of pennies! Would you only search for injuns and wheats and not check dates?

Wow that's a lot of wheaties! Congrats. Going through so many pennies, I sure hope you are culling the coppers while you are at it...

When I started this several years ago I actually kept ALL coppers. I soon realized 1) the weight of all the pennies was way more than I (or the house floor) could handle and 2) I was going to have way too much money tied up in copper pennies that I wouldn't get much return on when factoring in transportation costs and actually finding someone who would give much for them. Now I keep all BU coppers from the 70's and any coppers from the 60's that have any red left to them. You would be surprised how many coppers this still is.

geez thats a ton of pennies! Would you only search for injuns and wheats and not check dates?

If indians and wheats were all I kept it would make it a lot quicker. But there are several error coins that I also check for...especially the wide AM's from 1998, 1999, and 2000. I have sold several of the '98's on ebay for between $5-$15. I actually enjoy finding those as much as the wheats. 99.9% of the wheats are common dates. I do still get stoked anytime I find an indian though.

That is a ton (litterally) of cents that you've searched! It's probably good you are searching cwr because your leftover dumps normally don't go back to the FED, but to a local coin rolling facility, and right back to the local bank.

Good luck in future hunts, do you hoard the finds, or sell, just curious, thanks.

That is a ton (litterally) of cents that you've searched! It's probably good you are searching cwr because your leftover dumps normally don't go back to the FED, but to a local coin rolling facility, and right back to the local bank.

Good luck in future hunts, do you hoard the finds, or sell, just curious, thanks.

Outside of a few of the wide AM's I mentioned above I just keep everything. The reason I do pennies instead of looking for silver is that just about all older pennies coming out of the ground are in pretty horrible shape. Just about all wheaties found by CRH'ing are in better shape than the best wheatie coming out of the ground. Silver coins is what metal detecting is for...:yes:

Back
Top Bottom