Distinguishing silver dime-VERY PRELIMINARY!!

IDXMonster

Elite Member
So I was out with a 48 Rosie,94 Rosie and a 72 Memorial cent. I am using a Whites IDX Pro with an older style Black Max 950 coil. Coins were all spaced 2 feet apart,ground balance is correct with NO objects nearby or in the ground. In other words,the machine is set up correctly and the coins are ALONE. Now,if I sweep any of the 3 at ANY speed from 2-7" in height they ALL fall into the penny/dime indication. This has been the status quo for everyone I know,which isn't many people,BUT,it's been their experience as well. From what I've read,our small posse isn't alone,it's very common.
I was doing an air test on these to try to find ANY way to distinguish one from the others or all from each other. Finally it happened,and,I admit,this may not be new,but for those who don't know or can't tell any of them apart,this worked. The SILVER dime is the odd man out. I held the coil beyond the reach of detection but directly above the coin in question. I lowered it abruptly to within 2" of the coin. I did this 50 times with each coin with identical results,not even a waiver. The silver dime still read "penny/dime". The older penny and clad dime both read "zinc penny" every time.
I would be THRILLED to have people with all styles of coils and makes and models of detectors WHO CANNOT CURRENTLY TELL THE DIFFERENCE AND HAVE THESE 3 COINS TO TEST WITH to run the same test and report back with reliable results. I can say that when I tried the same test with my Black Max 5.3 coil that everything read "penny/dime", it could not pull off the trick. I may be able to make it do it by adjusting other stuff,but those wouldn't be real world settings. Also,this isn't real world hunting either,just an air test. The next step is to get out there to an old site and try to verify the findings,or start that coin garden and test it again next year.
This post is for the guys and gals who can't tell and want to be able to. I know that Uncle Fred with his 30 year old machine could tell an apple from a grape with his whatever it was,we've heard the tale. This is for less seasoned hunters like myself that are trying to look further into the hobby,through self enlightenment or with some help from this forum! :feedback:

Never really missed with a analog machine,
But on most digital machines a silver dimes vdi will almost always read
one or two numbers higher then a clad dime & on some machines silver coins will have just a slightly higher pitch, (or it has on the machines I've used)
Its the same with silver quarters vs. clad quarter.. etc....

Wait a minute...you didn't forget to stand on your left foot while raising your coil over the silver dime 50 times did you (right foot if in the southern hemisphere)?

Most current detectors with a vdi number system can tell the difference between a Indian, wheat, zinc, memorial, clad or silver dime...a detector with a icon or bar graph display struggles with this...

Back
Top Bottom