4 watzits from yesterdays hunt

SafeMode

Elite Member
All 4 have me stumped, help appreciated :)

m7uo07.jpg

Here is #3 a little closer:

4tjzn7.jpg

#1 is a tool handle cap, for a shovel or other long wooden handled tool - you can see the hole where you punch in a nail to keep it on... I have turned up quite a few of those myself. #4 is a decorative drawer pull - very nice! You have me stumped on the other two!

EDIT: After looking at your picture again, I'll give you one other possible option for #1 - a carriage pole end... So on either side of the horse drawn carriage you have two poles that go out to be hooked onto the horses gear, and they would protect the end of those with a metal cap so that the wood wouldn't wear out/rot from getting wet.... This might be a more plausible explanation for why yours is so worn down on one side - from rubbing against the ground. Usually the ones I have seen are longer than that which is why it didn't come to mind immediately...

2 looks like a decorative nut from a lampshade or light fixture. 4 may be part of a motor pully. is there a hole on the side for a set screw?

1. Carriage pole cap. 2. Meccano toy building set part (You can just make out the word 'Meccano' on it). 3. Dunno. *shrug* 4. The swivel part of a watch fob seal. The seal, probably of carved stone, is missing.

SageGrouse

Item 1

Item 1 is not a tool cap notice the shape of the hole it is an ox knob when the ox is grazing the tip of the horns scrape the ground causing the odd shape hole

Number two is probably a shaft joint. You put one on one shaft and a like one on the other then you can bolt the shafts together. I have also seen similar items used for holding a gear or a pulley. You slide the holder on the shaft then bolt the pulley or gear to the holder. I have used many similar items in my lifetime of working on machinery.

Number two is probably a shaft joint. You put one on one shaft and a like one on the other then you can bolt the shafts together. I have also seen similar items used for holding a gear or a pulley. You slide the holder on the shaft then bolt the pulley or gear to the holder. I have used many similar items in my lifetime of working on machinery.

I have also seen an application where the round knob would fit into a steel plate and then a non-rotating shaft slid through the hole. It would be held to the steel plate with four bolts. It leads me to believe this is the more accurate description because the holder has no key way slot to keep the shaft from spinning in the holder.

Back
Top Bottom