• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Ordering Half Dollar Boxes...

TerryRB

Credit Union threw me a curve today. A couple of weeks ago two of the tellers told me they could sell me a bag of halves from the coin sorter. I went in today to see if the bag was full enough to be "ready" and a different teller said that they only sell the bags to the Fed - but, that she could order me a box of halves from the Fed if I wanted ($1,000 a box she said).

This is the first time they've ever offered to get me a box of halves. Was wondering if all the boxes you other "half dollar CRH'ers" get are directly from the Fed as well. Does the Fed clean out the silver, or can you "get lucky" once in a while?

I'm sure this has been discussed here before, but I sure couldn't find it! Thanks guys -

Cheers,
TB

yup. Boxes are $500, and usually there is a minimum order of 2. I have found silver in boxes from the Fed and I know many others do as well. I buy bags now from my bank.

I would challenge them on why you can't buy bags. Many think they can't but all they have to do is buy it from the vault. I have had banks tell me they can't and I ask them if there is anyone they can call to confirm, and lo and behold, they can. :) This also saves them the money it takes to ship it out to the fed, also they don't have to pay to order the boxes for you. Win Win for everyone.

I just walk in and say FREEZE! Give me all your silver! For some reason everyone always drops to the floor! Don't they listen... I said freeze... geez! :p

Yeah...don't think I'll try the "Freeze!" technique any time soon.

I will go back and check with the first two ladies I talked with; this other gal wasn't the "regular crew chief" - first time I'd ever seen her. Will try for a bag first, but maybe even pick up a box now that they've offered it.

To be continued...

TB

KT buys his boxes ....4 a week...through the bank, they come in boxes marked Loomis...same company that has the coin machines at their bank! I am sure they process through the Fed, but the coins are so dirty that they obviously do not wash them or sort them!

Have gotten a WLH, 3 BenFs, and many many silver Kennedys, so no one is sorting them. It all depends on who is dumping their coins in the coin machines at all the banks as to what you will get from your bank! I love boxes of dirty halves cause that means, to me, that no one has gone through them. The last 4 boxes KT got were the dirtiest yet and yielded both a Franklin and Ken 90%ers, and 49 :shock::shock:40%ers! Gotta love it!:lol::lol:

It's all luck. I have one branch who will sell me all of their bags of coins off of their coin machine. Yet the 2 other branches in town just laugh at the thought of selling me the coins. Now the first branch gets me 1 of those $500 boxes every other week. It's a String and Sons style box with the holes in the bottom.

Get out there and ask and be nice. And, the funny thing is that in my favorite branch there are workers there that tell me "NO!"....you just have to find the right people.

Thanks guys -

I'll try it again this week as my "positive" contact should be back from vacation. Will go the "bag" route first and see what happens -

TB

Back
Top Bottom