Oregon Treasure Stories

Status
Not open for further replies.
A comment on a previous post:
Re: Wild times at Waldo, Joshphine County, Oregon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freedom420
Hi there Westernlegen1,

I've enjoyed your posts very much. By reading your public profile, I see your a very busy guy and people are constantly asking you questions about lost treasures you posted info about.

I'm one more person who would like to pick your brain about a post you made. It's located at http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=13967 It's the post referred to as Wild times at Waldo.

I live about 8 miles from this location. Waldo and Sailor’s Diggings are indeed the same place. It started out named Sailor’s Diggings, but later was renamed Waldo as it's known today. Nothing of the old town is left due to hydraulic mining. Although there are 2 cemetery's close to where I believe the town stood. There use to be a monument on the side of the road near this location. Some idiot about 10 or 15 years ago stole it. It's a shame someone would take the plaque right off it's stand.

I could be wrong, but the pictures you posted I believe are close to where the town was. I know exactly where they were taken back in the early 50's. The rock wall shown in the two bottom pictures is still there, not the building though. Next time I'm out there I'll take a picture of it.

Anyway, sorry to be so long winded here. I was wondering if you would mind sharing with me where you found this info about the ruthless Triskett gang and they're robbery at Sailor's diggings. Since I live in this area I would like to start searching for that lost gold with my two kids. I grew up in this area so it would be a lot of fun to start scouting it out on weekends. I've found very little reference to this story and would like to find as much as possible.

Thanks for all your posts and knowledge here on the board. Like I said I know your a busy guy. If I don't hear back from you I totally understand.

Thanks and HH, Freedom420

That post was a long time ago, I think a bit of info was in The United States Treasure Atlas by Thomas P. Terry.

Another request:
fullquiver
New Member Join Date: Jan 2010

deschutes county oregon

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello,

I was wondering if you had any info on Deschutes county Oregon? Ghost towns etc.. Thank you fullquiver
I decided seeing as how several ghost towns exist in your requested county to provide an interesting challange location for you to find. The town site was once called Rolyat and had a post office here is the map.

Attachments

• Rolyat Oregon.jpg
    Rolyat Oregon.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 1,732
I ran across this photo taken off the coast of Oregon. An interesting picture of a wreck which the ocean has been pounding apart for some time now. Anyone know further details about the ship, name, location, date of misfortune?

Attachments

• oregon shipwreck.jpg
    oregon shipwreck.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,686
Ed Schieffelins lost cabin

I recently had the opportunity to research and find Ed's lost cabin in Douglas county. For those not famaliar with Ed Schieffelin I advise doing a google search and reading some of the stories, I won't bore you here, not a story telller lol.

We found remains of the cabin, his trash pile the spot (lots of junk), shells matching the caliber of gun for the time period everywhere the spot where he worked his ore and where he washed it off at the nearby creek. We did not find his cache the area had been cat logged and would require a deeper detector that we had available.

I may be putting the information for sale if that does not go through I will put it on this forum for free for all to see. The reason I might be selling it is this is not a known location and a important stepping stone for those wishing to find his cache or his last gold mine.

I took out some of his blueish quartz ore and left the rest of the finds for others and to preserve history. Just knowing I walked where such an important figure from history did was amazing.

Thx all,
Monolyth

We found remains of the cabin, his trash pile the spot (lots of junk), shells matching the caliber of gun for the time period everywhere the spot where he worked his ore and where he washed it off at the nearby creek. We did not find his cache the area had been cat logged and would require a deeper detector that we had available.

Thx all,
Monolyth

The depth to which a metal detector will detect an object depends upon a number of factors: (1) the level of mineralization present in the soil. The more mineral mineralized the soil, the more difficult it is for a metal detector to cancel out the interference that these soils produce. Hence detection depth is reduced. (2) The size, shape and orientation of the object in the ground and (3) the size of the search coil being used. However, there are now metal detector exclusively for deep hunting and searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom