Appalachian Mountain Relics POCKET WATCH!

louie088

Elite Member
This mornings hunt started out well with some hunting around old ruins of what is most likely a 1930's era cabin. Some foundation and chimney are left. Not much luck there buy did find a ton of copper flashing from the roof. I should have hunted it all and took it! I didn't though, decided the are was to littered with trash and look "Snakey" So we detected a crick that runs near by and started to hunt a small trail river side. Looks to be from hikers and fishermen. Nice little crick. Well the banks of that crick may have given my on of my best finds yet! A pocket watch! The glass face is broken and either corroded or just packed with dirt so I cant see the face of the watch. There are no markings on the out side I believe it could possibly be silver. It gave me a high 80's VDI. It was underneath a fallen rotted out tree I had to move.
Other Items found were:
Some clad and
Unmarked ring that says "princess" (It gave me a 56 VDI.)
Spoon
button (jeanswear & cargos plugg)
Shotgun casing (Western Field No 12)
Mining hatchet head
small track spikes
So can any one give me any advice to ID and clean this pocket watch?

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    165 KB · Views: 724
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 718
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    93.9 KB · Views: 722
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 685
  • photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    101.8 KB · Views: 675
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    113.7 KB · Views: 661
Popped off the rear and there looks to be a date and some paten numbers. Says made in USA.

Attachments

• photo-10.JPG
    photo-10.JPG
    74.6 KB · Views: 649
inside says "Patented U.S.A. 1563431 1709146 1848520. Made In U.S.A"
When i google those numbers allot of stuff about a company called Westclox comes up

Attachments

• Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 9.28.21 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2014-08-24 at 9.28.21 PM.jpg
    13.2 KB · Views: 624
That's what is called a dollar watch. It originally sold for $1.00. They weren't designed to be repaired, as the cost of repair would normally exceed the price of a new watch. A decent example will now bring in the $40- $ 60 range.
Nice find.

I found a WestClox Pocket Ben last week . I Googled it then chased links all over the place to confirm what I had . WestClox date stamped each watch , thats the 3 numbers you have . Mine is : 8-28-25 , day month year . The face was paper so I assume yours rotted away . The glass was still intact on mine so the face , tho stained from the hands rusting away was still readable . So yours will be harder to ID as they made many styles over the years . They also were nickle plated . Fun finding a watch ! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom