New from Carolinas and Florida Panhandle

Jim2

Hi.

I have been thinking about getting into metal detecting for a long time perhaps since I bought one of my kids one for Christmas one year. That detector is long gone as are the kids for the most part.

Anyway, my question is what kind of metal detector to get.

I can put $1,000 into one, but would like to know if it would be worth it to strain and go to say $1,500? Would it be that much better.

I think I need a visual display because I have some hearing loss due to exposure to loud noises especially on the high end but also my sound discrimination is poor, like in a loud lunch room listening to conversations, or on the beach with the waves.
Still I think I might like to take the detector into the water on occasion because I am an excellent swimmer and I see that those kinds don't necessarily have a visual display mostly just aural.
One question is do any submersible detectors have LED indicators that you can read underwater easily?

I don't expect to prospect for gold in the hills or deserts, but I find the idea of searching for jewelry along the shore and a little further out to be exciting and intriguing.

One question is whether silver coins last long in the soil, in the water, and especially in salt water.
I have a fair collection of 1964 and prior small silver coins and some of the later larger 1/2 dollar and dollar ones that I picked up over the years and would like to add to add to them.

I don't see myself as deliberately hunting for relics say on a battlefield.

So anyway, after expressing my wishes and hope, is there an ideal metal detector waiting for me to order it?

:)

Welcome from the state of confusion...Michigan!

Buy the best you can afford.

At $1500 I'd say get the Minelab E-Trac. You might look for a good used one for about $400 less.

If you want to water hunt buy my old Tesoro Piranha PI for a mere $225 shipped :lol:

Badger

Welcome to the forum, From South Florida

I bought the Safari, and kinda wished I had spent the extra money and gotten an ETrac, maybe I will trade up some day soon.
Welcome and HH

Welcome aboard Jim2. Sounds like you need two detectors, one for land (silver coins etc) and one for water. Silver usually holds up well in soil and water, unless it is in the saltwater for a very, very long time. RickO

Whites BeachHunter 300 has LED lights and is waterproof to 25 feet. Never used one myself but might work for you and lists for around $999.95 but can be bought for less. Good luck and welcome from NE Texas.

Back
Top Bottom