New Hobbyist

wflamholta

Hello everyone, I just ordered my first metal detector (Garrett 250). I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to use it well and where I should start looking for things? Also if anyone is rom New York please hit me up!!!

You should enjoy the 250. I would say to start in your local parks and tot lots to learn the machine. Please make sure that you fill your plugs back in. Try and make it look like you were never there so you will never be told not to return.

You should enjoy the 250. I would say to start in your local parks and tot lots to learn the machine. Please make sure that you fill your plugs back in. Try and make it look like you were never there so you will never be told not to return.

welcome to the forum from Nova Scotia! :yes:
as for your 250, they're a great little detector. you'll find lots of great vids on youtube. the only things i generally recommend when starting out is to keep your sensitivity setting fairly low at first and dig everything.once you get a better idea of what the different sounds are and what you're actually digging up for those sounds, then you can increase your sensitivity (and get better depth with it!)
some people will also say to plant a "test garden" with various known metallic items. that helps you to ID your targets and helps when learning to pin point on them. you can also just lay various items right on top of the ground, put some of them fairly close together and swing the coil over them from different angles to simulate how things in the can sound when there's more than one target.
you'll have a blast with it! keep us posted and don't be scared to ask questions. the "how to use your detector" section has a lot of great info too!
happy hunting,
Pete

Hello everyone, I just ordered my first metal detector (Garrett 250). I was wondering if anyone has any tips on how to use it well and where I should start looking for things? Also if anyone is rom New York please hit me up!!!

'welcome to the addiction. my tip to you is...watch the dvd , watch all the youtube vids on the 250 you an, and watch the dvd again lol. dont dig any signal that bounces all over the screen. its more than likely junk/ dig only solid repeating signals. the 250 is a real good machine and will find the good stuff , but ya gotta learn what it telling you

Welcome and good luck

My second detector was an Ace 250. good machine for the money. a bit touchy in mineralized soil or around "hot rocks". keep the sensitivity down a notch or so from the factory setting of 8 if it seems to tone a lot.

Mess with the notch discrimination until you are comfortable with it. Nice feature but don't over use it. Can miss good targets while notching out the bad.
What I did to practice was search without any discrimination and then notch out different discrim points with the elim button to see how the detector reacted to the target.

Remember, in the beginning less is more. Get used to the tones etc as it detects good targets as well as junk.

Start in your yard. Put some of what you want to find on the ground and try out your machine. Then put some of what you don't want and try it on that.

Then head out to a spot where you can find more, deeper.

'welcome to the addiction. my tip to you is...watch the dvd , watch all the youtube vids on the 250 you an, and watch the dvd again lol. dont dig any signal that bounces all over the screen. its more than likely junk/ dig only solid repeating signals. the 250 is a real good machine and will find the good stuff , but ya gotta learn what it telling you

I agree regarding the signal bounce. I also found the my 250 jumped around on "hot rocks," reporting as silver with the bell tone. Generally these appeared to be quartz so I don't know if it's the quartz or what. Lowering the sensitivity helped eliminate it some.

Back
Top Bottom