help,old coin found on beach

upstatetrout

SpanishCoinBack.jpg

SpanishCoinFront.jpg

I found this coin on the beach.It is the size of a quarter and bronze/copper.Any help with an ID would be greatly appreciated.I soaked the coin in olive oil for many hours to achieve this degree of clarity.

Thanks Tom

Well, if it's copper/bronze it is a copy of a Philip II's era Spanish colonial cob. Top pic, at 11 o'clock..does it actually read 'copy'..with the 'y' almost gone?

Voriax

Would a coin made of silver that old appear this way?I see what you are referring to but don't believe it says copy.
Hilights on the coin appear silverish.It also quite heavy

I've lost count but I think this is the 4th time this coin has appeared in the forum in the last few years (not this exact coin but one just like it). It always has COPY stamped on it and the OP usually takes it to a coin shop only to be told it is a modern reproduction.

JB sent me some just like those but found on a beach in Florida. They were cast replicas but didn't say copy. You could see the seem around the coin.

You guys have some good eyesight

They've seen a lot of them, and know what to expect.

That's two people I've seen recently seriously questioning Voriax identifications. How many more before we can take it as a sign of the coming Apocalypse? :)

-- Tom

They give these away with detectors...i got mine with the at pro, if you goto kellyco they have them as the add ons which dont do much for me but give me a laugh when they show the retail price of them beside them...yeah right, we'd go out and pay that much for a copy

:laughing:

They've seen a lot of them, and know what to expect.

That's two people I've seen recently seriously questioning Voriax identifications. How many more before we can take it as a sign of the coming Apocalypse? :)

-- Tom

Between you and Voriax, I have learned I can "take it to the bank" on your knowledge of coins! Heck, I will even through IronPatch onto that list!:D

Well, if it's copper/bronze it is a copy of a Philip II's era Spanish colonial cob. Top pic, at 11 o'clock..does it actually read 'copy'..with the 'y' almost gone?

Voriax

I've lost count but I think this is the 4th time this coin has appeared in the forum in the last few years (not this exact coin but one just like it). It always has COPY stamped on it and the OP usually takes it to a coin shop only to be told it is a modern reproduction.

Between you and Voriax, I have learned I can "take it to the bank" on your knowledge of coins! Heck, I will even through IronPatch onto that list!:D

All correct.

Here is mine that I found in a park this summer.

Attachments

• P1030675.jpg
    P1030675.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 1,195
  • P1030676.jpg
    P1030676.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 1,229
i got one too!

dug it at a lake where a indian trading post was. laughed my kiester off! Spanish coins are there, and i find the copy. LOL! i love this hobby! i figure one of the crumb snatchers lost it.

Thank you all for the input. While I was optimistic, it's the conclusion I really expected. Enjoying the forum. Tom

Back
Top Bottom