A new appreciation for coins?

sterrell

Hey guys.

Has adopting the hobby of metal detecting changed your perspective on coins, aka "loose change?" Or even other miscellaneous items?

Like most people, I was guilty of thinking "oh, it's just a penny," or "just a nickel."

Now, I think to myself, that is a penny I otherwise may have dug up or found, knowing how many hours I've spent digging up others' lost coins.

I also recognize that a few pennies and coins can certainly add up over time.

How about you guys? Do you treat coins or other items with more appreciation now?

Oh yeah, I am constantly checking my change for dates, misstrikes, off centers, mint marks. When I get change at a store I stand there looking it over like I've never seen money before. They probably think: "What a Botard".
I also am constantly scanning the ground when I am outside. Yep, I got it bad. :wow:

Yes, I liked old coins before, but was really naive about them. I didn't know what terms like walker, seated, standing, and merc meant. Not only have a learned a lot about old coins since I started this hobby, I've also come to appreciate pocket change too and look over every coin I receive in change before placing it in my pocket.

I'm always checking the coins I get in change, but I was a coin collector before I ever metal-detected. I still buy US coins occasionally, but most of my collecting money goes into coins before 1700. My latest coin purchases were 3 Seleukid bronze coins from Phoenicia (Tyre & Sidon).

-- Tom

Oh yeah, I am constantly checking my change for dates, misstrikes, off centers, mint marks. When I get change at a store I stand there looking it over like I've never seen money before. They probably think: "What a Botard".
I also am constantly scanning the ground when I am outside. Yep, I got it bad. :wow:

I do the same thing!:heartylaugh:I guess im not the only one!!

I'd say I was definitely more careless with money prior to detecting. If I dropped a dime or something, I'd just be like "eh, its only a dime."

Now, I treat every penny with more respect. Haha

I don't really check my loose change very often I usually just dump it in a jar, but I'll check it when it comes time to cash it in just in case!

Having grown up poor, I've always appreciated ANY money I've found. However, having gotten into metal detecting, I've gained an appreciation for just how MUCH money gets dropped by people! Wowza! I can only imagine how much is still in the ground, waiting for eons to be found... :shock:

I'm a little superstitious. Before this hobby, I wouldn't pick up a penny on tails! Now, if I see a penny on the ground I bend right over and pick it up. I mean, if I'm going to get on my knees and dig a hole 8" deep for one of these, I might as well pick up this easy one.

Besides, would I leave the penny in the hole if it was on tails? Of course not!!:lol:

Reminds me of a saying from the Honeymooners: "Heads I win, Tails you lose"

the store I work at gets old coins in trade for groceries at times people use em to pay for there stuff every other day or so I go in and check the office manager to see if theres any good stuff in there today lol have found some nice coins its usually a lot of the 70s half dollars lol dunno what made people buy up rolls of them things in the seventies and keep em thinkin they would be worth something I collect some of em and lot of times don't fool with the others have run up on times when ive gotten some silver dollars people have cashed in but it don't happen much.

I find myself going through change, both my own and my family's. I was surprised in one sitting to find a wheatback and a silver war nickel in her coin purse. Made me wonder what else has come and gone through our hands without so much as a second glance. So, yes, it has changed my attitude towards coins.

Back
Top Bottom