Coins around iron poles

roadrunner_426

Elite Member
I've recently received permission to hunt a nearby park, with a provision of " no diggin ";I've been hitting it about everyday and have collected over 600 coins in the last few months....naturally,coins in the tot lot area have become harder and harder to come by...this week it occurred to me that I've probably missed a coin or two that was resting very close to the poles....actually, I was pleasantly surprised at the number I had missed....sort of painstaking work and detecting those coins is kind of a subtle endeavor, but well worth the effort...no finds worth writing home about lately, but I have come up with a few old wheaties that obviously haven't been there very long...a 1919, 1920, and 1953, all in surprisingly good shape....only thing I can figure is that some kid was out playing with a pocket full of wheatbacks...found a silver Rosie in the same area several weeks ago . Roadrunner

Hmmmm...no digging. You must have a futuristic trowel of sorts that gets objects out of the ground without making a hole. Where did you buy it? I want one!!!

LOL! Nice finds!

Tell me more about these metal poles-please!

RoadMan,

How did you get the coins around the metal poles. I get about 1 foot away from these metal poles and stairs and my MD goes bonkers. I have a White's Classic VID and a Garrett's Scorpion of which and depending on my mood I use both. I also use my pin pointer. I love this hobby.
DrDoom:cool:

Coins around poles

Please let me know what metal detector you use and how you do it. I have a Garrett ACE 250 and Tesero Tiger Shark. Thanks Frenchfry:wow::shock:

I have the same issues close to metal.

I want one of those coin magnets that pulls money from the ground too!!!:)

i have not found any coins or any thing near the tot lot the poles make it nigh impossibel for my bounty hunter poineer 101alas a plastic milk ring and a large washer were all that were retrived. and i also have felt the cold sting of the parky dude inform me of the no dig rule. so i am interested in how you found so many surface coins.

p.s. your tots are richer than my tots i gess

No digging implement at all...everything I take is uncovered with my gloved hand...if I can't get it like that, I leave it, and I don't leave much...

I consistently find a lot of coins & jewelry close too the metal poles and such. My Fisher 1266 goes almost 2 inches to a pole without interference. That extra sound jumps right out. I do believe I'm finding a lot that others miss due to the poles. I just go to & fro the poles. steve in so az

Someone posted a tip the other day that I've already used...I take my foot and drag wood chips away from the poles (where it tends to pile up anyway) and sweep it. Afterwards, I just smooth out the area and move on.

Additionally, I've found that cranking down the MXT's gain to about 30% of max with a small DD coil really helps. I also swing orthogonally to the pole...I still get a scream when I get really close, but can pick up a target by careful attention to the sounds.

John

Right now I'm using a Garrett Ace 150...the iron poles usually produce a squelch , if anything at all ; if there's a coin close to it there's a subtle " ding-ding- ding " mixed in...I have to listen close and sometimes I get tricked when the pole produces the " money bell " for some reason....I'm over 700 coins at this park now in the last few months...I only search the tot lot, which is wood chips, and the picnic areas around it which are mostly dirt covered by pine straw... " no digging " is useless in grassy areas unless the coin is laying on the surface and that doesn't happen much...most of the coins in the tot lot are in the first centimeter or two of the mud just under the chips...until somebody at the park tells me different, I'm not going to count scooping chips with a gloved hand as "digging"... especially since I always replace them...HH Roadrunner

I can get pretty close to the poles with my DFX and the 6x10 DD coil. I move my coil, sideways, next to the pole and scan out. It works fairly well.

Back
Top Bottom