HELP: Whites Coinmaster TR/2

Diggum

Elite Member
When I was a child, my grandmother gave me a Coinmaster TR Series 2 for my birthday. Growing up very poor, I had to wait for subsequent birthdays, when I could go to Radio Shack and get a free birthday battery so that I could use my detector. I was really that poor! Hahaha!

As a result, I didn't get much use out of my detector, but, at the age of 19 and working as a painter's apprentice, I happened to mention to a co-worker that I had a detector. He asked if he could borrow it to find something for his brother, and I said, "Sure!" After handing him my detector, I never saw either of them, again.

Fast forward to about a week ago, and I found a Coinmaster TR Series 2 at a Goodwill. I purchased it and brought it home, excited to relive my childhood. Who knows, it just could be my original one! Unfortunately, the rheostat is completely stuck, and will not rotate. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement (i.e., what might I look for in an online search)?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20191214_184304.jpg
    20191214_184304.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 874
  • 20191214_184321.jpg
    20191214_184321.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 663
..... Growing up very poor, I had to wait for subsequent birthdays, when I could go to Radio Shack and get a free birthday battery so that I could use my detector.

Boy I remember doing the same and the cheap batteries they gave away didn't last long.

Maybe feebay, Amazon or call whites.

Awesome story Jon.

I bought some stuff from Mouser.com - might be worth a search. OBN might know too. Otherwise possibly eBay. Could worse case email Whites...

Bummer my schedule won’t work for tomorrow, I’m going to try and get out early... good luck man!

Thanks, guys. Message sent to Whites. Hopefully it's not proprietary and unobtainium. I suppose I could try pulling the switch apart and see if I can figure out why it's bound up. I mean, it went together, so it should come apart, right? :?:

Look like a standard potentimeter made by CENTRALAB.

Need a picture of the side and all the writing on it.
Then might be able to give you a Mouser or Digikey part number.

Maybe hit it with some electrical cleaner spray stuff? Dunno! Waltr has some promising info above.

You find the ladies ring today? Any goodies at the school?

Odds are very good if you can read the numbers off the side a new one can be ordered from digikey for cheap FYI. I have replaced trim pots on fisher detectors and nautilus detectors in the past using them.
If you have trouble finding the part just use the "chat" feature on their website and their customer service workers seem to find it in about 15 seconds every time for me. Just need the numbers for voltage, how many solder lugs are on the pot, and the shaft size for the pot/ mounting area.

Look like a standard potentimeter made by CENTRALAB.

Need a picture of the side and all the writing on it.
Then might be able to give you a Mouser or Digikey part number.

Back
Top Bottom