200+ Coin day plus FIRST GOLD!

z118

Forum Supporter
Made it out two times today. The first trip was in the morning in wet snow. I went to the school that I had so much luck at last weekend. It was pretty cold and the ground was extremely muddy and covered with puddles. I left after about two hours because my hands were numb from the cold, but not before I found 68 coins worth $5.09, plus a ring that had me excited at first but turned out to be nothing great. I don't know what it is with this school, but the nickels are everywhere, and pennies are rare. The breakdown:

19 Pennies
21 Nickels
21 Dimes
7 Quarters

After lunch I went on my first metal detecting trip into the city. I found a nice school with a tot lot in one of the better neighborhoods. Clearly, no one had hit this tot lot in a long time, if ever. I could hardly swing my coil without getting a coin. They were mostly pennies, but I'll take it! I found 134 coins total worth $7.90. The breakdown:

75 Pennies
17 Nickels
28 Dimes
14 Quarters

I also found 3 keys, a monkey pendant, a couple of earrings, an "Adventure Landing" token, some buckels, and for some reason, at least 20 pencil eraser heads. I also found my first and MAYBE my second gold items! The first was a Tweety Bird ring that looked like junk when I found it as it was so light and small and I did not see a karat marking on it, only "417." The second was a large crucifix with stones in it that looked like bronze when I pulled it out - it was under about 6-8'' of wood chips. When I got it home and cleaned it up I saw that it was stamped "10K 417" on the back, which is what prompted me to look up "417." I put both of these in the "Help ID my Finds" forum to try to figure out why something stamped 10K would be this color. Maybe it was plated at one point and the plating wore off? I don't know.

Regardless, it was a great day! i can't believe I'm having my best days detecting so far in the middle of January! Hopefully tomorrow will be as good.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• 1-14 Finds.JPG
    1-14 Finds.JPG
    184.3 KB · Views: 161
You bagged your limit! Nice hunt!!

My knee's ache just reading this lol... Good going though on all the finds :)

Gold is marked in two ways. Either the ?karat? is shown, like ?10k? or the NUMBER that means ?10k? is used. The number for 10k is 417

What a day............congradulations............you deserve it, for fighting the mud and the cold.

Now that's a haul!!! :shock:

Congrats on a great day and the gold..... :D

HH, Hank 8)

Back
Top Bottom