Are metal detectors a scam?

There certainly not a scam.Pam,let us know what its doing,or not doing and we can try and help you.Theres loads of people here that can help.I dont use an XLT but i know there is some here who do,im sure they will help

No! metal detectors work great but you do need to learn how to use one. Sounds like you need to find a local fellow hunter or ask some question on here about what you might be doing wrong.

I'm at work or I'd post you a picture of just a small portion of the things I've found with a metal detector.

Let's start with 1). Turn it on & 2). Read the manual.

I own a XLT and all I can tell you is the more time on it the more you will learn and enjoy it, But you have to be patient. :yes: no scam here

Attachments

• DSCN2543.JPG
    DSCN2543.JPG
    82 KB · Views: 806
  • DSCN2844.JPG
    DSCN2844.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 821
Pamela her are some finds I have found with my xlt.Just have fun pratice,pratice. :grin:

Attachments

• PB120013.jpgA1.jpg
    PB120013.jpgA1.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 789
  • PB120015.jpgA1.jpg
    PB120015.jpgA1.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 799
Pam that's a good question......And you ask it so justifiablly. hehehe
You sound just like I sounded with my old radio shack model. Cept your using one of the best detectors made.

For a long time I thought what a scam. Now just a few years later I can truthfully give you an answer to that question.

Oh course it's a scam. I now own a total 7 detectors, There value on the market is 3000.00 USD. WE find a lot every year....Last years biggest find was a man's Ring valued and appraised at 1400.00 This year my wife just had to beat me so she found a 38 clearcut diamond, 14 Bagot diamond cluster valued and appraised at 1500.00.

That's two mighty good finds two years in a row. No that's not the norm, but it is enough to help pay the expenses of our new hobby that we so enjoy together.

Note: we have been in the hobby 8 years for me 10 years for her, she couldn't get me to do it at first. But now the hobby has me scammed into detecting at least 4-6 hours a week.

It's the real deal!

Hi Pam,
I don"t have the same machine as you have but have heard many good things about it. As with any detector it takes time to learn what it is telling you. And remember patience, patience, patience. What exactly is the problem you are having? There are many people on this forum who have the same detector you have and can help you out. A few things to keep in mind is you will dig up your fair share of trash. We all do. Another is if it isn"t lost, you can"t find it.
HH, Wes.

Not a scam Pamela.  We find a lot of good stuff with our detectors.  I use  a dfx on land A slight upgrade from yours. My hunting pal uses his xlt. He was complaining about  to many mixed and broken signals on a coin program. He read his manual a couple times  and still did'nt get it. It took me less then 2 minutes to clear up his problem.  Your machine, one of the best, is set up to break up on undesireable metal objects, like pull tabs and aluminum bottle caps. Once you see through those  signals and focus on solid repeatable tones  you will be into it. Some questionable tones may be because of the depth of the target.  check the depth, if it's down there  dig it up. On the other side of the coin if it is too good to be true it usually is.  A pop or beer can will give  a steady unrelenting 72ish vdi Again check the depth if it says 1/2  or 0  lift the coil up from the target. If it still gives that nice crisp signal 10  inches off  the ground  you have 2  choices.  Move on or dig it up and throw it in the trash. Not unusual for even an experienced "MDer" to not understand every detector.
You need to have someone with you to show you hands on and explain why. My guess is you are uncertain what  to dig. Here's  a tip,  dig it all for a while until you get the hang of it.  there are a lot of detectors hanging on a wall or stuck in a closet for the same reason. The user did'nt  take the time to learn or ask for help. This hobby is full of people who are willing  to show you how  that detector works. Below are some of my pics, each representing a days find...Look for a club in your area...they are on line. phone contacts and addresses will be shown.  Don't be bashful,  you will be welcome.

Attachments

• 100_0059.jpg
    100_0059.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 878
  • nov  the pier.JPG
    nov the pier.JPG
    37.4 KB · Views: 870
  • indian headrsu park finds.jpg
    indian headrsu park finds.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 880
The only scams out there are the long range locators....complete rubbish. Metal detectors are totally legit...just takes practice.

Hi Pam,I have a Whites Prizm,a low end detector and I can tell you its not a scam.It just takes time,patience and a lot of practice.Join a local club if u can.Also some of us women folk are lookiong for hunting partners.Where r u located?

Rustynail1-I think thats my ring you found with your fine detector :lol:.

Thats a good one busytire :lol: but the thing is it's an earring :lol: :lol: I found it in a tot lot,
Grinsebring Had alot of good thing to say and is right on all of it I've been detecting close to 6 yrs. now I just got my XLT about one year ago yeah I've learned some of the different tones the machine makes and there are some days where I pass on that broken 22-28,29,30 But for the most part when I go dirt fishin I'm goin to dig stuff up :grin: yes a majority is trash but I've allways got the thought of that awsome ,unique,some times valueble treasure (It's out there you know)

Attachments

• DSCN2656.JPG
    DSCN2656.JPG
    184.8 KB · Views: 766
  • DSCN2370.JPG
    DSCN2370.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 754
try planting a coin garden in your yard read your manual at least three times think positive joining a club or ask any questions here even if they sound stupid to you your machine is a favorite to many detectorists but it does have a learning curve best of luck bowser

Pamela's problem is just down to the wrong choice of machine for the use she is trying to put it to.
She has an XLT and is trying to use it on wet sand. With experience and quite a bit of fiddling it can be made to work there but its not the place to experiment with a complicated single frequency detector.

Re detectors being a scam our consumer magazine "The Which Report" studied metal detecting as a hobby around twenty years ago and concluded it was a bit of a waste of time and most hardly covered the cost of their equipment. I didn't mind their negative comments as I had just used my profits to pay off my rather large mortgage. Now thats a sense of freedom !

Epi, there was nothing implied about where she was using it. The first thing I did before I posted a comment was look to see what part of the country or countries she was from. I should remind all new members that it is in their best interest to show a locale in their profile and the type of hunting they are doing. That way someone in her area who is more familiar with conditions can help. I am sure Brian who is a big help to all of us may have misunderstood someone elses comment. No harm done....Gil.... :grin:

Hi Pamela,
Check your bottle cap setting - turn it down
then check the sensitivity - turn it up
I don't have one so I can't walk you through it...a buddy does and I have spent a few hours on his seeing how it compared to my BH.
Set some coins on the ground away from other metals and set it up that way.

Pamela,i think the bottom line is practise.Too much advice is going to confuse you .The best thing you can do is put some coins on the ground and see what noise your machine makes.Then do the same with some pieces of jewelry,,easy as that.Hope you work it out,,im sure you will.

concluded it was a bit of a waste of time and most hardly covered the cost of their equipment.

Lol! Now, granted, I didn't spend $700 or $800 on my detector, but I've more than paid for my ACE250 and all my other hunting equipment with just me clad finds alone, in less than 2 years. And I only hunt on WEEKENDS! I estimate in 2 years of hunting, I'm about $50 ahead of my equipment costs just in clad, and that doen't include the four gold rings, gold pendant, and at least 2 dozen sterling pieces, and whatever value my collection of antique bottles we dug from a bottle dump found with the detector have.

No, metal detectors are NOT a scam, but neither are they a get rich quick scheme. They are a get rich one coin at a time hobby, nothing more. Occasionally, we get that nice score that's worth a few bucks, but other than that, it's a long term project.

Good luck with your XLT. I know the folks here who use XLTs will be able to help.

Back
Top Bottom