Bullet ID help

P2PDave

I'm new to metal detecting and this is my first three ring bullet. Does anyone know if this is civil war era?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 165
Does that mean it was jammed and the soldier pulled it out by screwing a rod in the end? Does this look like a typical Minnie ball used in the civil war era. The top looks different from the pictures that I have seen.

c.w.bullet

Iv.e done this once when i was learning how to load a rifled musket. Looks like who ever ramed it down real hard, if you had a ramrod you would see it fits perfectly over the cone on the top of bullet.Some times the soldier loading his rifle was very nervous( wonder why) ad would ram the mini down the bore super hard. worm would leave a hole on the top of the minie.you had two tools for this. one was a jag , looked like a coiled spring, used for cleaning patches. 2nd was a screw that was used as a ball puller. But yes you have a real .58 minie bullet. Nice find.

bullet

I think more likely than a hard ram it was the bottom bullet in a double load. Just my 2 cents.

You know that could be, something was hit hard on top of it. They did load double and even triples when under stress of combat. I lean toward what you think.Because the base of the cone were the lead over laps looks to big for a ram rod but is just right for the base of another minie.I have a few minies left and sat one on top of the other, looks real close without expanding the upper bullet, My ramrod made a indentation up higher.

That sounds very logical. Either way, I can see that the top is deformed by some type of pressure. I don't have rifling marks but rather straight grooves which may indicate that it was pushed straight. Thanks for all the great information

Back
Top Bottom