Help with possible rare USA button

GreenMtnDigger

I found this button at a very historic location that I've been detecting since spring. My latest finds were found on a loose rocky shoreline. Not to far from these latest finds I've found over a dozen coins dating from mid 1700s to early 1800s one being a 1771 Mexico 2 reale and 3 colonial coppers. I've also found 2 cannonballs dozens of colonial buttons and dozens of musket balls. I need some advise on this USA button. Just need to make sure it's not from an reenactment since there has been a few here. This is on private land and have the owners permission. This button is 26mm

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 718
Did you find it in the water or on dry land next to the water? It does appear to be the right construction, but I don't have a Rev war button book. Send a PM to Iron Patch. He will know for sure, maybe he'll chime in on this.

But for me, just being logical, judging by the other types of relics and coins you're finding there, I would say it's authentic. And one sweet find my friend!

Welcome to the forum!

It was at the high water mark under some loose stone, not currently under water. We've had record high water levels the last few years. I'm thinking it was in the water and washed ashore recently. I was able to bend it back into shape easily and is heavy so I'm thinking it does have lead in it. Ill give Iron Patch a ring if he doesn't chime in. Thanks guys

It looks too good and too clean, and I've not seen the back looking that way.... but you should still run it by Don Troiani, and he'll be able to tell you for sure, and if it's a repro how recent. That's his site you put the link too.

He has no problem answering these type of emails so just go ahead and write. He'll no doubt be right to the point, but that's all this is about, so it works.

[email protected]

I will say if it's a reproduction it's better than most. If legit it's fantastic and worth many hundreds.... so good luck. I know Loyalist and British Rev War better than the American side so my opinion isn't worth enough to post it... in the sense to give you a sure answer.

So I've contacted Mr Troiani and he's asked for some more pics and rough location it was found so I'm keeping my fingers crossed lol. Ill let you know the verdict

So I've contacted Mr Troiani and he's asked for some more pics and rough location it was found so I'm keeping my fingers crossed lol. Ill let you know the verdict

That sounds positive because it means he's in the same boat as me that regardless of how clean it looks, it looks pretty good. He's very familiar with modern reproductions so it's a step in the right direction he can't discount it right off the top.

Here are some better pics. The color is off on these pics due to the flash and isn't shiny. It looks like the original pics
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377736586.961516.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377736609.128255.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1377736625.181912.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Revolutionary War Button Mold

It's a Continental Army Revolutionary War, Cast Pewter One piece.

Reference:
Record of Uniform Buttons, Page 11; GI3
Alphaeus S. Albert, 1976

Just talked with Mr Troiani and he thinks its the real deal. I think it's larger than the usual French import ones so its real rare. Anyone want to venture what it's worth?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Yeah those pictures are better, and it's not really a surprise because it's hard to pic anything out that would say it's not genuine.

Back
Top Bottom