A Few Sunday Keepers

angellionel

Elite Member
I had expected heavy rains today, but as I looked out the window this morning, I saw only a slight mist. Clearly, our local weatherman had been a tad off-base. So much for accuracy. I took care of a few things around the house, and then headed out in the afternoon to a small park by an old library. This particular site had yielded several silver coins and an 1803 large cent, but it has definitely been worked to death. I decided to concentrate on working the ground near a very large old tree, starting at the base and walking around it while slowly expanding outward.
tree_011407A.jpg

There were hardly any targets, though there was plenty of iron. At about a foot from the base of the tree I picked up a small religious icon. It's about half the size of a Lincoln cent.
icon_011407.jpg

Shortly after that I picked up a small pin, just about the same size as the religious icon.
find_011407.jpg

At this point the GT was nulling constantly, due to the iron, so I slowed down the sweep to a crawl. I was able to pick up a few tones that way. The first was a nice tone, though very low, indicating a deep target. I cut the plug and dug up about eight inches of soil before I saw the coin. A Barber quarter, quite worn, but a pleasure to see. It's dated 1908-O.
barber_quarter_011407A.jpg

The next target turned out to be a flattened thimble. I'm not sure if it's old, but given the site, it probably is.
thimble_011407.jpg

The next two hits were a button and a bullet.
button_011407.jpg

bullet_011407.jpg

I was about to move on to the next site for my last hour of detecting before hitting on the last target, a 1941 mercury dime.
mercury_dime_011407.jpg

I felt I had already worked the area well, so I headed to a site I had hit last year. There I had picked up two walking liberty half dollars, a few buffalo nickels, many wheaties, and a Barber quarter. I was glad to see that the weeds had died off.
woods_011407A.jpg

There was now a light rain, but it was steady. I remained at the site for only 30 minutes, but I did pick up a three wheaties, the oldest dated 1911, and a chain of some sort. It isn't silver, and in fact I'm not even sure it was meant to be worn as jewelry. I kept it anyway.
chain_011407.jpg

I was a muddy mess by the time I was done detecting, but it was nice to get out.

Very nice Sunday. Question for you. I noticed you have the GT listed along with a DFX in your arsenal. Care to tell which is your favorite or circumstances for switching from one to the other?

brooklynct2003 said:
Very nice Sunday. Question for you. I noticed you have the GT listed along with a DFX in your arsenal. Care to tell which is your favorite or circumstances for switching from one to the other?

I still have a preference for the DFX, especially when trying to find silver or large copper coins. I've been using the GT more lately in order to acquaint myself with the different settings. I love the tones, and I also like the fact that it doesn't have a display, which forces me to pay more attention to all the signals. I was getting spoiled with the DFX, since I was paying more attention to the higher tones and ignoring many of the lower ones, since those tones sound quite bland on the DFX.

I will be using the GT at sites where a much slower detecting pace is required.

Nice going angel! Glad to see the weather is still holding out for you guys out east. More cold and snow here.

SteveMN said:
Nice going angel! Glad to see the weather is still holding out for you guys out east. More cold and snow here.

Thanks, Steve. :)

Yeah, the weather looks to be the same out here this week. I'm sure hoping the ground doesn't freeze, or at least not for long.

Cool stuff Angel :)

Angel with my work slowing down if you're interested Angel I'll take you to the beach I've been pulling the old gold and silver coins from... But it would be good to hit it on a minus tide. :)

Cfmct-PI said:
Cool stuff Angel :)

Angel with my work slowing down if you're interested Angel I'll take you to the beach I've been pulling the old gold and silver coins from... But it would be good to hit it on a minus tide. :)

Hey, that would be fun to hit the shallow water. I miss getting the waders wet. Thanks for the invite, Craig! Hopefully we can get some good minus tides in the weeks ahead. :)

The chain looks like it was for a pocket watch, though I havn't seen them with that link style before.

novakpower said:
The chain looks like it was for a pocket watch, though I havn't seen them with that link style before.

Thanks! I didn't even think about that. I may have to make a short trip to work the immediate area, just in case. :)

Back
Top Bottom