Keys

spittfire

Elite Member
Statrted to find keys now. They are really interesting looking, the one key has some nice detail on it. Says Ilco Independent lock co. Fitchburg Mass. The smaller one says Atlas key and the other appears to be plain. The other finds are from this past couple of weeks. The one is a buckle, no clue as to how old, guitar/oboe/violin pin, copper flower, tin star? Found several clad coins nothing noteworthy. Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• keys and guitar.jpg
    keys and guitar.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 243
  • key.jpg
    key.jpg
    164.8 KB · Views: 231
Spittfire, I like the skeleton key. A small collection of those would look great in a display frame on the wall. You can buy these items at flea markets, but it always means more when you found them yourself.

I find a lot of keys in the water and a few on land. Independent lock co., Worked there (a very short time) after I graduated from Fitchburg High school. They been out of biz for many many moons I guess 25 years or more. About the guitar pin. Is it one from Hard Rock? My Missus has a mega collection of them from when they first started..........Gil

The key most people call a sleleton key is really a bit key the difference between a skeleton key and a bit key is the skeleton key has wider cuts to be able to work in more locks but the bit key will work in fewer locks. The cuts in the key are called ward cuts. Some bit keys are fairly intricate and are usually made these days by hand file method. We use to make them for customers but they take so long to make and cost so much to duplicate most people replace the lockset instead. We still sell a dozen or so skeleton keys a year. The key you have is a bit key. If you dig up any keys that have a hole in the end it's a barrel key. Nice finds, hh, Gramps

Nice going. I have found a lot of keys, but have still to find one of the bit/skeleton style. Must not be very many up in my neck of the woods. :roll:

those old keys are neat too find. I have a display of only oldies on the wall. Hard to find them with wording on like yours, Steve in so az

steve in so az said:
those old keys are neat too find. I have a display of only oldies on the wall. Hard to find them with wording on like yours, Steve in so az
It is different, that's why I like it!
hoser said:
Nice going. I have found a lot of keys, but have still to find one of the bit/skeleton style. Must not be very many up in my neck of the woods. :roll:
I had a bunch of these for my house when I bought it 30 years ago, but replaced all the locks and lost the keys now :(
Gramps said:
The key most people call a sleleton key is really a bit key the difference between a skeleton key and a bit key is the skeleton key has wider cuts to be able to work in more locks but the bit key will work in fewer locks. The cuts in the key are called ward cuts. Some bit keys are fairly intricate and are usually made these days by hand file method. We use to make them for customers but they take so long to make and cost so much to duplicate most people replace the lockset instead. We still sell a dozen or so skeleton keys a year. The key you have is a bit key. If you dig up any keys that have a hole in the end it's a barrel key. Nice finds, hh, Gramps
Boy you sure know your keys! Thanks for all the interesting info! :lol:
user18 said:
Cool! I love the skeleton key. The guitar pin is great too.
Actually not sure it is a guitar, could be an oboe or cello. Thanks for looking! :lol:
grinsebring said:
I find a lot of keys in the water and a few on land. Independent lock co., Worked there (a very short time) after I graduated from Fitchburg High school. They been out of biz for many many moons I guess 25 years or more. About the guitar pin. Is it one from Hard Rock? My Missus has a mega collection of them from when they first started..........Gil
That is cool that you worked there! If you pm me with your info, I will send your wife the pin if she wants it. I would not have a use for it :lol:
meteorman said:
Spittfire, I like the skeleton key. A small collection of those would look great in a display frame on the wall. You can buy these items at flea markets, but it always means more when you found them yourself.
It sure does! Rings up like it's money though. Some how I don't mind finding a key instead. It is a key that opens up treasure somewhere :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Thanks to all!

That's a nice group of relics! I love that skeleton/bit key! I've always wanted to find one, but none yet. HH!

I don't have the greatest key collection, in fact I lost a few found keys :(

I think one is for a safety deposit box and all I need to do is find a master lock for the 3918 key pattern :roll:

Not sure if some type of key to the left of the master lock :?:

Attachments

• keys.jpg
    keys.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 178
  • safety_deposit_key_i327T1.jpg
    safety_deposit_key_i327T1.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 183
  • master_lock.jpg
    master_lock.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 186
I found a master key from the town parks dept. that opens all the gates in town. Not that I would ever use it! :roll: good going nice finds.

ABUS key, found in a tot lot. Never heard of ABUS, well until I found the key anyway.

Attachments

• abus.jpg
    abus.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 122
Your Abus key is probably a padlock key maybe used with a Schwinn cable lock, real nusance to duplicate. Funny I've never found any keys metal detecting. HH, Gramps

A couple of luggage keys, pretty well rusted, found on two different properties.

Attachments

• keys3.jpg
    keys3.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 105
Back
Top Bottom