Good Permission and Bad Permission (long post)

TR Mook

Elite Member
Drove around town for awhile yesterday looking for some places to detect. Got to the first place I was looking at (a lawyer's office) and got the green light. It's an old house and I was hoping something good but I think there had been some top soil brought in. Oldest coin was a '65 quarter. Altogether though, it wasn't bad. 25 coins for a total of a 1.50. Plenty of zincolns. Earlier in the day I had asked at the local animal hospital. The Dr. wasn't in but the receptionist said to ask when a red truck came back. So I did. Got permission. Unbeknownst to me she had asked the Dr. that doesn't own the house (There are two vets). I didn't dig one plug before the other one pulls up and yells "Hey there. You. Did you ask permission to be doing that?" I replied, "yes sir. I always do." "Who did you ask." he questioned. I told him that I had talked to someone inside who asked the other Dr. He said "put it back." So I turned off my detector. THen he said "no, the dirt. just put it back when you're done." I ended with, "always do." Just an awful exchange. I can't believe that someone wouldn't assume that I had asked permission if I was going to dig on their property. Always thought this guy was half decent. We take all our animals there, he co-sponsered my dad's softball team for three years, and his kids both went to my the pre-school that my mom is in charge of. Unreal. Well, I was really looking forward to at least the VERY SMALL front yard of that place. However, after he was short with me I just left. I don't want to be anywhere where someone isn't 100% excited about me being there and happy to have me find cool stuff on their property. I've met plenty of friendly landowners that are great about me being there. He just wasn't one of them. Made me put up my detector for the day I was so blah about it. Oh well. 25 coins and my best clad day of the short season. Sorry for the long post. Just had to vent.

I empathise with your feelings but unfortunately there are those that detect on private property without asking. The Doctor who questioned you had no way of knowing that you had asked for and was given permission. He probably has never encountered a responsible detectorist before and did not know how they operate. Any time we detect on private property we are at the mercy of the owner, they can and do sometimes change their minds or have questions on how targets are retrieved, this is their right. You did everything right so don't worry about his attitude.

I wouldn't be so hard on the doctor either. In the end, he did give you permission...(by saying to put the dirt back when you're done). He was probably just short with you because his temper had flared up (when he thought you hadn't asked) and it takes a while for some people to cool off. Plus, he may have been having a bad day and that was just "one more thing" that was happening. I'd give him another chance and detect there again, but I'd double check with that particular doctor first by asking in a more relaxed setting and explaining again what happened the first time.
Craig

Yeah, I know it sounds like I might be hard on him in my judgment. I just got spooked because I've never had someone react like that. Especially after I assumed I had gotten permission and done everything the right way. I'm really, really serious about always getting permission and what not. I love the hobby too much to look like some scumbag.

I had the same experience with 2 brothers who owned the property. One said ok and then the other one showed up and asked me. I said the owner gave permission and he said "I'm the owner also". Didn't bother me as I did have permission. I finished the yards and made a few neat finds. steve in so az

I had the same experience with 2 brothers who owned the property. One said ok and then the other one showed up and asked me. I said the owner gave permission and he said "I'm the owner also". Didn't bother me as I did have permission. I finished the yards and made a few neat finds. steve in so az

Ya! In this instance, I would have let the two brothers wrangle it out too! Cause like you state, I got permission! :lol:

I wouldn't be so hard on the doctor either. In the end, he did give you permission...(by saying to put the dirt back when you're done). He was probably just short with you because his temper had flared up (when he thought you hadn't asked) and it takes a while for some people to cool off. Plus, he may have been having a bad day and that was just "one more thing" that was happening. I'd give him another chance and detect there again, but I'd double check with that particular doctor first by asking in a more relaxed setting and explaining again what happened the first time.
Craig

Exactly.

A yes is a yes. You are being too sensitive. Detect while you are allowed to. Your 100% approval rating requirement is not realistic nor compatible with your best interest in getting the best sites.

This guy, whose blog is linked below, is very successful and he asks the owner in a very careful way, gets the yes, gets the treasure, then scrams. I don't think he would leave, if given that yes. Also, he doesn't give them the chance to see what he finds, unless they ask. He is not deceitful or sneaky. Why open a can of worms?

http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/permission-faq/

I wouldn't worry too much about it. Doctor types are.... special. They're very busy and highly stressed most of the time and can go off without much provocation.

You ought to hear how some of them treat their office help; people they actually like! :lol:

Sensitive? Maybe. Perhaps. Honestly, like I said, and it's just the way I do things, If someone isn't sold on me being there I'm not one to twist their arm. I'm out to have fun and if I can't have fun because I think someone is looking over my shoulder then I'm out of there. I had a good hunt that day with a handful of coins and that was good enough for me.

Exactly.

This guy, whose blog is linked below, is very successful and he asks the owner in a very careful way, gets the yes, gets the treasure, then scrams.
http://goes4ever.mymdforum.com/permission-faq/

That link is golden. I've copied him verbatim when I have knocked on doors and he's right, it works great. In the 8 houses I've asked, 6 have said sure. Highly recommended.

That link is golden. I've copied him verbatim when I have knocked on doors and he's right, it works great. In the 8 houses I've asked, 6 have said sure. Highly recommended.

I just read it last week and have not tried it.

It hits me as kind of being a "one night stand" method, lol. Wham Bam. I can see the parallels. You don't want the owner to second think it, close the deal, you don't want to revisit and rub it in that you found silver, and make them regret it. Just let them move on. It works for him! I wonder if it was adopted from the bar scene? jk

People are protective of their property in general. It seems like as soon as he realized that you did as somebody he said it was fine and didn't really care. I probably would have reacted the same way. Don't let it get to you.

Back
Top Bottom