Getting Friend into Detecting

GetDiggin

Forum Supporter
So, I know similar questions have been probably asked several times, but ive been out of the hobby for the last year due to a new injury so I'm not sure if there's a new "Best ban for the buck" detector or if there's a better option these days. I know back a couple years ago THIS was the best for entry level with the 40% coupon and all, still the case? Also has anyone happen to have or have used one of THESE? Has good Amazon reviewso but there is only 5 of them so I'm taking those with a grain of salt. My buddy has NEVER detected before but he is intrigued so I'm taking him out in 2 weeks and letting him use my ACE 250 and my spare Garrett Propointer to see if he takes to it or not. If he enjoys it as much as he thinks he will I am going to get him a full setup for his birthday.

Thanks all, HH.
Rich

P.S.
These are the other options I was looking at for pinpoints

Option 2
Option 3
Option 4
Last Option (which basically looks like Option 2 with another name lol)

Then I'm going to get him THIS or THIS for !!!!! & Giggles :laughing:
That way he fits in with me when I'm wearing my lucky hunting shirt! :D
If he sticks with the hobby he may earn THIS one for next year's birthday lol.

Last edited:
I don't feel there one detector that's good at everything. So ask your self what kind of hunting your mainly going to do, coin shooting, relics etc then where your going hunt, dry land, beach etc after that then you can narrow down what's on the market that fits your needs and the price range.

For a pin pointer like most I use the Garrett there just that good and hold up, I have had mine for at less 10 years now with out any problems.

Tell us us more about what and where your going hunt

I don't feel there one detector that's good at everything. So ask your self what kind of hunting your mainly going to do, coin shooting, relics etc then where your going hunt, dry land, beach etc after that then you can narrow down what's on the market that fits your needs and the price range.

For a pin pointer like most I use the Garrett there just that good and hold up, I have had mine for at less 10 years now with out any problems.

Tell us us more about what and where your going hunt

I've been detecting for about 10 years myself, like I mentioned in the post, I am looking for a affordable yet effective setup for a friend that's literally brand spanking new to the hobby. The setup is going to be for his birthday and I am not a rich man lol, can't afford to buy him a $300+ detector and a $100 propointer, I actually use the Garrett AT Propointer myself, I know they're great, but I need to find a detector $100 or less (hence the bounty hunter tracker IV from hobby lobby, with the 40% off coupon it would only cost me $65) and need to find a pinpointed that is effective for $40-$45 or so, that's why I linked the ones I did, they are all in that range with good reviews.

I am not sure exactly what type of detecting he will want to do since he has never detected a day in his life, he is just intrigued and interested in getting into the hobby, he will have to feel the ropes for a bit to see what he likes best, I know he is interested in possibly hunting at the beach but NOT water hunting, just sand, but he is also interested in coins too.After he goes out hunting with me in a couple weeks I'm sure he will have a better idea on the route he wants to take, but still won't change the budget I have to work with. I was thinking about getting him a Tesoro Compadre which I personally love to use, but with him being brand new I think he'd be better off with a detector with a screen, plus the Compadre is still $50 over my budget on the detector part of the setup, if I see he is REALLY into detecting and looks like he will stick with the hobby 100% I was thinking about going a different route and forget a pinpointed for now and just getting him only the detector, then I'd be willing to spend a bit more and be able to get him something like the Fisher F2 (or F11), Garrett ACE 250, Mine lab Go-Find or a Teknetics Digitek/EuroTek/Alpha 2000. But I'd only go that route if I'm confident he would stick with the hobby.

-Rich

Pyle Pro Metal Detector $87.34 and Kuman Pin Pointer $39.99. The Pyle got a good rating and has more to offer for less money, like a VDI and preset programs:cool:

Pyle Pro Metal Detector $87.34 and Kuman Pin Pointer $39.99. The Pyle got a good rating and has more to offer for less money, like a VDI and preset programs:cool:

THIS one here is better than the Bounty Hunter IV? Okie Dobie I'll probably go that route then with the Kuman, I was definitely leaning towards the Kuman Pinpointer.

Thanks & HH,
Rich

Everytime I come across THIS link I just don't know what to make of it lol cause it just looks like a toy, but it has pretty dang good reviews and close to a hundred reviews too :?:

Off topic a little BUT, make sure your friend is serious enough to stick with it and there's enough interest to buy a detector. In the past 5 years, I've had friends go out with me, using my spare gear. After one or two trips, "I gotta get a detector!" All three of them now own whites or Aces, with all the paraphernalia. None of them have taken those detectors out of the closet for four years despite being invited many, many times. I guess for some, the excitement dies pretty quick. Still won't sell me those detectors though. Humans are funny creatures.

Off topic a little BUT, make sure your friend is serious enough to stick with it and there's enough interest to buy a detector. In the past 5 years, I've had friends go out with me, using my spare gear. After one or two trips, "I gotta get a detector!" All three of them now own whites or Aces, with all the paraphernalia. None of them have taken those detectors out of the closet for four years despite being invited many, many times. I guess for some, the excitement dies pretty quick. Still won't sell me those detectors though. Humans are funny creatures.

True but that's why he going cheap so if all else fails he not got much into it:D

My opinion is

Sell him your Ace 250, than upgrade to a Equinox 600, if he want's to detect, he will buy it, if not , don't worry about it, it's nice to have a buddy to detect with, but if he is really interested in the hobby, the bottom line is- he has to invest, happy hunting, Earl PS stop beating yourself to death on buying him a machine :lol: it's not your obligation , even though you think it is :nono::snapoutofit: my opinion only, advice to take a look at, a stress reliever, take care . Sorry-I Just notice that you have a Equinox, so sell him the ACE 250 , its a good starter machine for him.

Last edited:
Sell him your Ace 250, than upgrade to a Equinox 600, if he want's to detect, he will buy it, if not , don't worry about it, it's nice to have a buddy to detect with, but if he is really interested in the hobby, the bottom line is- he has to invest, happy hunting, Earl PS stop beating yourself to death on buying him a machine :lol: it's not your obligation , even though you think it is :nono::snapoutofit: my opinion only, advice to take a look at, a stress reliever, take care . Sorry-I Just notice that you have a Equinox, so sell him the ACE 250 , its a good starter machine for him.

I can't give or sell him my ACE 250, I keep that one around for when my Dad is able to gather the strength to go out detecting, and only other detector I have is my Tesoro and like I mentioned earlier I don't think that would be the best bet for him, and my Dad doesn't like the Tesoro because he doesn't like hunting via Tones due to his poor hearing.
I know I don't have a obligation or anything but like I mentioned, it would be a Birthday Present. I'll definitely know more in a couple weeks if he is going to be more or less interested in the hobby after we go out for a few hours and he is staying the weekend so he'll get 8+ hours with the hobby & machine, I'll be able to pick up if he is interested or not, he is a pretty easy guy to "Read". I know he already is intrigued by the hobby, and he also has been taking the time to watch YouTube videos, and I also know he is interested in History plus he is a patient guy, so as of my opinion so far, before we even go on our hunts, I think he's going to "Take" to the hobby, but if I DO end up getting him a machine for his Birthday I just want to make sure I get him the BEST detector that I can within my budget, because him working a frustrating machine may make him lose interest in the long run.

-Rich

Great guy

One who buy's his buddy a detector , pointer, and digger with find's pouch :friends::thumbsup: wish you luck , maybe an F2, or Euro tec Pro to start , happy hunting.

Back
Top Bottom