Advice on detector purchase

Quake

Is it a no brainer to buy a equinox 600 over the minelab se pro ?
Which of the 2 has a easier learning curve,
I can pick up a nice se pro for $100 lesser than the EQ
I've been detecting around 10 years using single frequency units but have been wanting to try a multi frequency detector.

Thanks for your input

If your a coin hunter,and appreciate the very best visual ID then by all means get the explorer se.Its a true multi frequency machine with 28 frequencies running simultaneously.
The nox is more of a relic machine,sure it’ll hit coins but it’s a pig in a poke as to what’s down there.With the explorer and Etrac I’ve skipped over all pennies...well I took the nox to those sites,and dug all the pennies,nothing more really.
The fbs machines are superior coin machines compared to the equinox,no way around it.
..Google This and read for yourself. ( Minelab equinox jumpy ID) You’ll see a ton of threads from every forum with the majority members saying the same,don’t dump your explorer,Etrac for a equinox unless your a relic hunter..Not my words although I agree,but look for yourself.

Definitely not a no brainer. It greatly depends on the kind of hunting you do, whether you are able to swing a heavier detector for the length of time you want to hunt, whether you need a waterproof machine, etc.

If your a coin hunter,and appreciate the very best visual ID then by all means get the explorer se.Its a true multi frequency machine with 28 frequencies running simultaneously.
The nox is more of a relic machine,sure it’ll hit coins but it’s a pig in a poke as to what’s down there.With the explorer and Etrac I’ve skipped over all pennies.well I took the nox to those sites,and dug all the pennies,nothing more really.
The fbs machines are superior coin machines compared to the equinox,no way around it...Google This and read for yourself.( Minelab equinox jumpy ID) You’ll see a ton of threads from every forum with the majority members saying the same,don’t dump your explorer,Etrac for a equinox unless your a relic hunter.Not my words although I agree,but look for yourself.

This !!!!

I appreciate the help and info from you guys, Yes i'm mainly a coin hunter i have my trusty T2 LTD for when i go relic hunting. :yes:

The nox is more of a relic machine,sure it’ll hit coins but it’s a pig in a poke as to what’s down there.With the explorer and Etrac I’ve skipped over all pennies...well I took the nox to those sites,and dug all the pennies,nothing more really.
The fbs machines are superior coin machines compared to the equinox,no way around it.
..Google This and read for yourself. ( Minelab equinox jumpy ID) You’ll see a ton of threads from every forum with the majority members saying the same,don’t dump your explorer,Etrac for a equinox unless your a relic hunter..Not my words although I agree,but look for yourself.

From the reviews I have seen this is exactly where the FBS will outshine the nox. I have a nox 600 on the way and will be going from a CTX but I dig everything non iron, the ID does not matter to my style of digging.

Equinox advantages over FBS machines:
*Speed & unmasking ability
*Hits lower conductors better
*Weight
*Price

FBS advantages over Equinox:
*More accurate/stable Target ID
*2D FE-CO Discrimination
*More accurate depth meter
*Deadly on deep silver

Just to name a few.

Still no perfect detector as far as I'm concerned. I prefer my CTX for coin shooting most places, but the Nox can pick out some targets that other detectors will likely miss in heavy iron.

Last edited:
FBS machines have a plethora of aftermarket coils available. From 6" for parks and cellers to 21" for wide open beaches and deep relics, you can get the ideal coil for your hunting conditions.

As far as price, well, with the release of the NOX, FBS prices have plummeted. SePro was the last (most recent) version of the Explorer, so it commands more, but lately I've seen some clean Explorer II's sell for $250. I'd try to negotiate around $350...maybe $400 if it was absolutely pristine with the original box and had an extra coil or pinpointer.

I've also seen mint condition Etracs selling for $600 and two well-used models that sold for $350 and $425.

Anyhow, I wait for deals, if you have a special trip planned, the extra few dollars may be worth it to you. Either way, NOX, Explorer, Etrac ... can't go wrong...your just trying to split trival differences between fantastic performing machines. =)

That Plugger 2 piece Carbon Fiber Travel Shaft for the Minelab Equinox sure
look's sexy tho. :laughing:

Back
Top Bottom