Junkyards are great places to find silver coins without a detector.

HipsterKitty

The other day, I remembered that a lot of cars at my local Pull-A-Part have spare change in them... and that no less than fifteen at any given moment are from the '60s or earlier, and usually those ones are "field cars" that just sat rotting in someone's backyard for decades. I didn't have luck when I went today, but I did come across a promising '62 Ford F100. Sure enough, the newest (and only) coin in it was a 1971 penny, and I also found a receipt dated 1972. It's very, very likely that if there had been a dime or a quarter in that truck, it would have been silver. So yeah, if you have any junkyard like that nearby and you're looking for a way to kill an hour or two, I'd definitely recommend it.

The other day, I remembered that a lot of cars at my local Pull-A-Part have spare change in them... and that no less than fifteen at any given moment are from the '60s or earlier, and usually those ones are "field cars" that just sat rotting in someone's backyard for decades. I didn't have luck when I went today, but I did come across a promising '62 Ford F100. Sure enough, the newest (and only) coin in it was a 1971 penny, and I also found a receipt dated 1972. It's very, very likely that if there had been a dime or a quarter in that truck, it would have been silver. So yeah, if you have any junkyard like that nearby and you're looking for a way to kill an hour or two, I'd definitely recommend it.

HK, I used to do the same thing in the early 80s, if the car has a back seat try pulling it out most just pop up and out, we used to find silver coins, jewlry,cash once and a while and just about anything that would fall out of someones pockets; or off the person. there was illegal stuff and some nasty dirty stuff. we were in cars from 1930s and up, we used them old junkyards as our own lil playground.GL+HH.....CLIFF.

don't forget about...

spiders, snakes, skunks, yellow jackets...ummm what else...???

it is a good idea, I find tons of change when I inspect the fleet cars where I work. so there has to be something in the old junkers...

Now you're thinking like a treasure hunter! That's what I do for winter treasure. All kinds of neat stuff under the seats and floor mats of those old cars.

I've only ever seen wasps. When there are people ripping these cars apart almost constantly, nothing wants to live in them. And if it did, the dogs they put out there every night would get it.

The only thing I don't like is when the cars have missing/open doors or windows and the entire floor becomes a little pond of the most disgusting water in the world. Even broken glass is less of an annoyance than that.

it is a good idea, I find tons of change when I inspect the fleet cars where I work. so there has to be something in the old junkers...

racoons, posum, ants, if you live mid west and south scorpions... ect ect

I use to work at a junk yard, from 72'-86 as a "parts Rabbit". I can't begin to counts the coins and cash I found under back seats, in the folds of the front seat and in the ashtrays and consoles.

If I had all the silver I tossed into the soda machine I would be a rich man by now.

The older back seats on most cars were easy to pop out. You just get in press the bottom of the seat in toward the trunk and lift up. Now day's they bolt them down, so I just grab the back of the seat and pull forward toward the front seats.

In the older cars slit the front seat cover from the back side, where it tucks under the lower frame. Then give it a good shake and watch it rain coins.

Always check the ash trays and consoles too. Any car with bucket seats, chech the sides resting against the hump/console. Also lift the console tray up, for any hidden items.

GL&HH

When i was young my father owned a junkyard as one of his former businesses..we had a contract with the county for taking in cars used for illegal activity and were to destroy them on site using a catapillar...when the police had gone id go through the motors to see if anything was left.

One car had been involved in an accident and was filled with change and teeth...not teeth from a set of dentures but roots still plesent...now that was one of the hardest ways to find money...still shudder to thinkof it but i was too young to fully understand it...it was money and my pocket money was 50 pence a week and this was pounds of change.

But yes...every scrap car we got in id take out the insides for selling to people if they were good and yes change was everywhere..also the aluminum number plates would be collected by me and smelted into ingots...nice money every year from them alone.:grin:

They can be good treasure hiding spots. I know guys that work in them that go trough all the cars well lol. One of them even found a hunting rifle one time.

Back of glove box is the hidden money spot of spots. I seen one guy with $3500 rubber banded with Velcro holding it on. And he had about 5 more empty Velcro spots to stick other stacks to. Found other goodies back there also.

One of my jobs is making traps in vehicles. You just have to know where to look.

I work at a junkyard in wisconsin and just started looking for silver or older coins! I have found 10 silver dimes including 2 of them mercury dimes! Also found a 1930 buffalo nickel in like mint condition! can't tell ya how many 1965' quarters and dimes I've found like hundreds. :-( but at our yard we speacialize in old cars and have over 500@ f em! And also have found 43 wheat penny's and some cool foriegn coins! But remember not to tear up the car doing it! Have respect and good luck...john boy

As an automotive core buyer, I usually buy just parts, but I do purchase a few complete vehicles. Some vehicles are absolutely loaded with coinage... in others, you're lucky to find a zincoln. Some people are careful with their change, and some could care less. Those are the ones I like :grin:

I scrapped an Oldsmobile once, and under the back seat it looked like a slot machine dump. I think I got around $15 in change, plus a Sac dollar and a 1908 V nickel that must have been in someone's change. It was a 90s car, so that was an unexpected cool find. "Seat change" is often sticky, grimy and nasty. I wear cheap work gloves to remove it, then soak it all in Spray Nine to disinfect it and remove the scum. Let's just say I would NOT want to see some of those coins under a microscope when I first find them.

Old cars would be a great place to check for Wheaties and silvers.

just reminder..

Not to sound like a pin-head.. but remember the cars and contents belong to the yard if not claimed by owner. I'm sure most wouldn't care but in all reality that is theft isn't it? I'd surely give the yard the amount in bill's if nothing else. Just don't 'take it' but talk to yard before or after or do as mentioned above. Everyone their own but I'd not take nothing for nothing. Just me.. a pin-head I guess. Sure does sound fun though. P.S- I know of a yard in central WI with some oldies.. Owner is bit ornry at times.

This is a really old thread.. But...

Whatever happened to HipsterKitty??

Also where in hells tarnation has Beerdoodle been, he surley has not been around in a while???

<*)))>{

Back
Top Bottom