• Forum server maintanace tonight.
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

So is the Whites MX5 off the Market?

wmgeorge

Forum Supporter
Getting ready to send my disappointing Treasure Master back after 3 days of frustration and thinking of a MX5 as a replacement. Go to Whites Electronics dot com and its nowhere to be found.

Was looking also at a slightly used M6 on local Craigslist, but as usual somehow the seller ignores both emails and text messages.

There's lots of MX5's listed other places, Kellyco and Amazon were a couple of the 1st to come-up.

Yes, I know they are For Sale but looks like they will be Orphans if they are out of production, as discontinued. That was Whites Electronics website I was on, not a vendor.

Yes, I know they are For Sale but looks like they will be Orphans if they are out of production, as discontinued. That was Whites Electronics website I was on, not a vendor.

OK, guess I'm not following. You know every detector eventually goes out of production? If it's the detector you want/like, what does it matter if it's an "orphan" or not?

OK, guess I'm not following. You know every detector eventually goes out of production? If it's the detector you want/like, what does it matter if it's an "orphan" or not?

Very simple a current new technology model that's what 3 years old, and then dropped from the product line up means one of two things. A, Its not selling or B, issues and too many problems. Whereas the M6 been in production for 10 years and still selling or being sold. What does that tell you? Orphans tend not to be supported.

Very simple a current new technology model that's what 3 years old, and then dropped from the product line up means one of two things. A, Its not selling or B, issues and too many problems. Whereas the M6 been in production for 10 years and still selling or being sold. What does that tell you? Orphans tend not to be supported.

I see lots of them put in new colored housings, new decals, different marketing approach, new name, etc.

Have you tried reading any reviews on it? Discontinuing something doesn't make it inherently "bad".

"What does it tell me"? According to your way of thinking, I'm setting on the best detectors EVER built....they NEVER change :laughing:

Good luck with your search.

I see lots of them put in new colored housings, new decals, different marketing approach, new name, etc.

Have you tried reading any reviews on it? Discontinuing something doesn't make it inherently "bad".

"What does it tell me"? According to your way of thinking, I'm setting on the best detectors EVER built....they NEVER change :laughing:

Good luck with your search.

I have done lots of research, and this is not my first rodeo. Started out in 2009 with a M6, just because I don't have 1,700 posts on here does not mean I am a new guy. I think discontinuing the Edsel was a good idea, don't you agree? Taking a product off the market, after only three years is kind of like Ford.

Actually there are mixed reviews on the MX5 especially the early ones that had an issue with the Tones.

To put your mind at ease I will contact Whites Corporate tomorrow and see if they have a replacement or a revision in the works then perhaps I will wait for and see. Instead of purchasing current stock and have issues. If no changes and it was a website glitch I will be ordering a MX5.

FYI I have Donated to the Forum via PayPal yesterday.

So as to give you a chance to have the last word on this I am just going stop posting as its clear your not understanding the issues involved.

Yes a phone call this morning to Whites and the MX5 is no longer, its been discontinued. So the few that are in the supply chain are it.

Last edited:
I've owned 2 different mx5 units and never had a problem with either one.I will say this and not to step on any toes,but the mx5 outperforms the m6 in every category.
It has a continuous ground reading which is the best you can get,a locking ground balance or preset is nowhere near as good as ground tracking.Not for me anyhow.I saw the light along time ago with the xterra 705, put in ground tracking,hit the ground balance button and just watch the the ground balance change every swing.
I'm no electronics genius but Minelabs r and d sure must be,and when those go numbers change that fast,common sense tells me a locking ground balance falls behind a auto ground tracking in performance.
I don't know why the mx5 never really caught on,but I have a good idea.About the time the mx5 came out whites took a nose dive in performance compared to all th companies and machines that came out 5 years ago,they just can't keep up.Over priced and dollar for dollar you get half the performance from a whites vs x machine ,and pay double the price.Just my 2 cents.But in all honesty,I think the mx5 is the best coin and jewelry machine whites has,bar none.

I've owned 2 different mx5 units and never had a problem with either one.I will say this and not to step on any toes,but the mx5 outperforms the m6 in every category.
It has a continuous ground reading which is the best you can get,a locking ground balance or preset is nowhere near as good as ground tracking.Not for me anyhow.I saw the light along time ago with the xterra 705, put in ground tracking,hit the ground balance button and just watch the the ground balance change every swing.
I'm no electronics genius but Minelabs r and d sure must be,and when those go numbers change that fast,common sense tells me a locking ground balance falls behind a auto ground tracking in performance.
I don't know why the mx5 never really caught on,but I have a good idea.About the time the mx5 came out whites took a nose dive in performance compared to all th companies and machines that came out 5 years ago,they just can't keep up.Over priced and dollar for dollar you get half the performance from a whites vs x machine ,and pay double the price.Just my 2 cents.But in all honesty,I think the mx5 is the best coin and jewelry machine whites has,bar none.

The funny thing is when I went looking for reviews from users for the MX5 there were very few. I think KellyCo only had one? It has to be one of Whites shortest lived production run ever. The lady from Whites called me back about changes to the M6, and there was supposedly none in the past few years. I then asked about what is the replacement for the MX5.... she said that she knew of nothing in the works, but who knows?

Right now I have a Tesoro Compadre coming I found on another forum, like NIB for a low price just to try. I may also get a used M6 (I had one in 2009)which seems to get rave reviews all over. If the little Tesoro works out I may go with that line?

I think a lot of people viewed the MX5 as nothing more than an upgraded Coinmaster GT. Remember that model? Go back a bit further and you run into the Prizm series machines. White's just couldn't give up on that control box design, instead they just changed the control box colors and upgraded the electronics through the years and kinda got left behind in the process. Great company with awesome customer service as I have owned a couple White's machines in the past to know.
On a side note, I will own another DFX one day. I should have kept the one I owned a few years ago. That hindsight is always 20/20.:yes:

Yes the M6 just works. No color screen, no multi mode frequency's and the like.

mx5

I spoke to DENNIS at METALDETECTORS.COM about the mx5 which i have used and liked very much in saltwater hunts. He hasn't had any issues or complaints about the machines he has sold. He has 3 left for sale call for a good deal if you like Jim

Minelab supports (ha!...there's a joke in there somewhere) discontinued detectors for at least 5 years as long as they are still able to source the parts for repair. That's a pretty long time. Might find out what is White's policy if you really want that model.

Minelab supports (ha!...there's a joke in there somewhere) discontinued detectors for at least 5 years as long as they are still able to source the parts for repair. That's a pretty long time. Might find out what is White's policy if you really want that model.

In case I did not post it here, No I do not want an MX5. Got a mint condition Whites M6 and my Compadre what else would I need. ;) Somehow my wife is not buying my story!!

I had an MX5, and only sold it to pay an outstanding debt. I regret selling it, as it was a solid performer in the field. It vastly out-performed my F75 in actual finds and I hope to buy one soon.

I mainly hunt salt water beaches and use my excals and various pulses and only own one "land" machine and its a MX5. It has a Detech Ultimate 13" coil.

When I get asked to find something for somebody on land it is what I use.

I've used it on the beach and it is very good at distinquishing a nickel from a pull tab with a specific Tid whether in wet or dry sand. I think that is some measure of accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom