• Forum server maintanace Friday night.(around 7PM Centeral time)
    Website will be off line for a short while.

You may need to log out, log back in after we're back online.

Out again today!

bodkin

Elite Member
Hello again all.

Another dry day here in Cornwall which allowed for another few hours detecting. After a little misunderstanding with my detecting buddy regarding the schedule, we eventually met up at the more distant permission at 1:30pm. More breezy and a few degrees cooler than yesterday, I didn't really notice the temperature until the Sun fell behind the hill. So, at 4:30, with the light slowly fading and the air feeling cold, Holly the Collie and I made our way back down the track to the car - My buddy leaving about 30 minutes before.

The recently grazed pasture here which is loaded with finds - all completely random it seems, continued to provide for us, with Lead sack seals and buttons being the most common finds for me today. A few older coins and other bits and bobs also made an appearance but alas, no Silver...... Happy with the buttons although bashed -,2 Navy, 1 Cornwall Constabulary, 1 General Service. Plenty more here to find I'm sure!

Many thanks,

b.

Attachments

• rsz_dscf4203.jpg
    rsz_dscf4203.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 285
  • rsz_dscf4204.jpg
    rsz_dscf4204.jpg
    84.3 KB · Views: 274
  • rsz_dscf4205.jpg
    rsz_dscf4205.jpg
    118.1 KB · Views: 281
  • rsz_dscf4206.jpg
    rsz_dscf4206.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 270
Wish I could find stuff that cool!

Thanks buddy. There seems to be plenty of Victorian and Edwardian stuff around here.... and mostly junk of which this lot was the best. The clay tobacco pipe stem made a nice change - in a hole alongside a button.

Those square pieces of lead with the wire going through them are old GPO, now Royal Mail seals. ( Mail bags?)

Those square pieces of lead with the wire going through them are old GPO, now Royal Mail seals. ( Mail bags?)

Agreed and early 1900's. Found near Penzance but these are Plymouth seals.

Any joy ID'ing the gold family seal? Had a hunch that's all. Newquay is half an hour away from me.

Agreed and early 1900's. Found near Penzance but these are Plymouth seals.

Any joy ID'ing the gold family seal? Had a hunch that's all. Newquay is half an hour away from me.

No, possible a private seal although this weekend it was suggested it is the middle bit of fob seal, one pin left and right and dropped away from the main body of the fob?

I wondered if the gold seal belonged to one of the Baron De Zouches..... http://metaldetectingforum.com/showthread.php?t=199478

Sorry if you have been down this road...... Their family crest could be on one side.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manor_of_North_Molton

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baron_Zouche

Thank you.

The link to Baron Zouche came up from my research from the time I first found the seal, also the link to the county of Cornwall but nothing could be tied in with my seal.

Further research through the College of Arms did not reveal any links to any specific families.

Well, they should know and I'm certainly no expert on heraldry, but that does look like a family coat of arms...... Still, a lovely find!

Back
Top Bottom