For those who detect Clearwater Beach

dc426

Elite Member
Got up real early this morning for low tide. When I hit the main beach I saw that I wasn't the only one there. I have to say the place looked like a moon scape. Huge craters everywhere and some were friggin HUGE! I was still dark and there were joggers and walkers out. I was afraid one would break an ankle. There was another guy there who I initially thought was making the mess but as it turned out he was filling in the holes from someone else. We talked for a bit as he thought I was making the mess too.

He had spoken with a life guard who told him there have been a ton of complaints and that we are all being watched. It DOES NOT TAKE A LOT TO CLEAN UP YOUR MESS! Please so we don't loose our privilege of detecting on that beach and all other beaches in Pinellas county.

Got up real early this morning for low tide. When I hit the main beach I saw that I wasn't the only one there. I have to say the place looked like a moon scape. Huge craters everywhere and some were friggin HUGE! I was still dark and there were joggers and walkers out. I was afraid one would break an ankle. There was another guy there who I initially thought was making the mess but as it turned out he was filling in the holes from someone else. We talked for a bit as he thought I was making the mess too.

He had spoken with a life guard who told him there have been a ton of complaints and that we are all being watched. It DOES NOT TAKE A LOT TO CLEAN UP YOUR MESS! Please so we don't loose our privilege of detecting on that beach and all other beaches in Pinellas county.

AMEN! There's a crew of jerks working the area and it's really annoying. I see it often and on high profile beaches in this area...sadly I doubt any of them are members here. I suspect they can't read.

and the sand is SOOOOOO EASY to fill back in!! Pure lazyness!!

Funny you mention this, here on the East Coast, I notice the same on some of the local haunts I visit. I'm thinking a slew of guys got MD's for Christmas and are out and about? :?:

Though it's nice to know I'm not the only one who gets frustrated by this, as you pointed out, it's a sad situation that reflects poorly on all of us who do hunt responsibly.

Dang!

Sorry to hear that. I get to Clearwater (from out of state) on business once in a while and try to hit the beach for a bit. Always take a trash bag and fill in any holes I dig. Last trip pulled up a couple fish hooks near the pier, and filled a hole someone else had left.

Arrived in St Pete this evening, so hoping to make it out there in the next day or two. Will keep my eyes open -

TB

Lately I have noticed a lot of guys that do not bother to fill they holes :no:
but than again unfortunately that is not new news anymore .What is worse some of them guys throw their garbage right back in the hole for the next guy :wow:
Some of them hunted for the long periods of time and behaved normally when spoken to :shock: I can usually notice them right away because they do not wear any kind of the pouch , there are guys that use they pockets ,but than again why would you want to put trash in your pockets?
I have seen guys throw they trash right back on the beach or in to the water. As well as I know for the fact that some guys bring trash , BB's etc to mess with competition .
It is not a perfect world out there :no: and this hobby outside this forum and other respected forums is not that friendly anymore .It is treasure hunting after all , you all know what happened when pirates dug gold ,blood got spilled :shock::shock::shock::laughing: ..............than again there is a grain of truth in every joke :grin:HH to all

I can usually notice them right away because they do not wear any kind of the pouch , there are guys that use they pockets ,but than again why would you want to put trash in your pockets?

Hey now, I wear cargo pants/shorts and use my pockets, but very responsibly fill all my holes and take out all of the trash I dig. :yes:

Let me catch someone leaving holes!! I'll follow them around and fill their holes WHILE THEY DIG until they get the point. :laughing::mad:

I felt like one of "them" today, was getting a lot of targets by the water line, but every swell that came in would wash all my sand away, so all I'm left with is a hole... filled them in best I could.

Hey now, I wear cargo pants/shorts and use my pockets, but very responsibly fill all my holes and take out all of the trash I dig. :yes:

Let me catch someone leaving holes!! I'll follow them around and fill their holes WHILE THEY DIG until they get the point. :laughing::mad:
There are guys that use their pockets :yes:Nothing wrong with that .Although it is much more convenient to use a pouch:yes: especially when you have lots of trash :sinkers,big chunks of foil ,can slaw,ketchup bags with the remains of the ketchup:lol: etc. You do not have to get an expensive one if you are not going in to the water . Home depot has them at couple of bucks HH

I second the sentiment. I find myself filling someones holes at Clearwater too. From my last few hunts it is very apparant that Santa dropped off a lot of detectors in Pinellas County from the number of "air swingers" I see. The number of newbies at Clearwater has escalated 3 fold. It's unfortunate.

Amen brother!

Looks like the same issues we saw last weekend on Daytona. The gent we saw was even doing it right next to a manned life guard tower. Lot's of brains at work. We had a nice talk with the lifeguard and made sure he saw we are all not like some fools that are out there...

There are guys that use their pockets :yes:Nothing wrong with that .Although it is much more convenient to use a pouch:yes: especially when you have lots of trash :sinkers,big chunks of foil ,can slaw,ketchup bags with the remains of the ketchup:lol: etc. You do not have to get an expensive one if you are not going in to the water . Home depot has them at couple of bucks HH

"remains of the ketchup" :lol: haven't had to worry about that yet thankfully. Noted on the pouch though, cleaning sand out of my pockets is getting old fast.

Whoever is not filling their holes should be fined!!! The fine should be $50.00 and it goes to the local food bank and 50 hrs. of beach cleanup. NO EXECPTIONS other than small kids. This should be posted at each entrance to a park, beach etc….. Maybe this might make ______________ wake up, probably not though.

"remains of the ketchup" :lol: haven't had to worry about that yet thankfully. Noted on the pouch though, cleaning sand out of my pockets is getting old fast.

:laughing::shock::shock: Trust me I have had an encounter:D with the remains of the ketchup .Them ketchup bags sound really good on my GT.HH

Whoever is not filling their holes should be fined!!! The fine should be $50.00 and it goes to the local food bank and 50 hrs. of beach cleanup. NO EXECPTIONS other than small kids. This should be posted at each entrance to a park, beach etc….. Maybe this might make ______________ wake up, probably not though.
Prosecuted on the spot by the firing squad:shock::shock::shock::laughing:
The holes must be filled no doubt :yes: but imposing fines could cause some unwanted consequences like innocent detectors paying fines for some holes dug by our four legged friends etc. Plus some of the towns I am sure will gladly ban detecting rather than dealing with all the legal trouble.
So if you do not want it to be banned fill your holes ,the less unwanted attention we draw at the beach the better:yes:

Back
Top Bottom